Any plans for supporting JDK 11 ?

bhillou
Hello,

With the upcoming release of JDK 11 (planned for September), I was wondering what the plans for supporting it looked like ? Are we expecting any kind of blocking problems ? Should be simpler than JDK 9 I think.

I didn't follow the JDK 10 support, did that involve any problems ?

cheers,
  Serge...

Re: Any plans for supporting JDK 11 ?

jbonofre
Hi Serge,

I just submitted Aries Proxy Impl 1.1.2 with ASM 6.2 this morning,
bringing support of Java 9, 10, 11.

As soon as the vote passed, I will update in Karaf. The purpose is to
include this for Karaf 4.2.1 (planned next week), in order to give us
time to test.
Before 4.2.1, I have also to work on Pax Web (7.1.1) supporting Jetty
9.4.10 supporting new Java version as well.

So, to summarize, 4.2.1 should support Java 10 & 11, thanks to the ASM
6.2 update + Aries Proxy + Pax Web/Jetty update (all Jira are created
and in my bucket).

On 07/06/2018 17:35, Serge Huber wrote:

> Hello,
>
> With the upcoming release of JDK 11 (planned for September), I was
> wondering what the plans for supporting it looked like ? Are we
> expecting any kind of blocking problems ? Should be simpler than JDK 9 I
> think.
>
> I didn't follow the JDK 10 support, did that involve any problems ?
>
> cheers,
>   Serge...

Re: Any plans for supporting JDK 11 ?

Freeman-2
Please see the patch and my comment on KARAF-5764, I think we need more change to support java11 in KARAF.

As XBean also embed asm source, so we need a new XBean release which build against ASM6.2, as well as a new easymock release.

Besides, Since JDK11, those modules get removed from JDK
* java.corba — CORBA
 * java.transaction — The subset of the Java Transaction API defined by Java SE to support CORBA Object Transaction Services
 * java.activation — JavaBeans Activation Framework
 * java.xml.bind — Java Architecture for XML Binding (JAXB)
 * java.xml.ws — Java API for XML Web Services (JAX-WS), Web Services Metadata for the Java Platform, and SOAP with Attachments for Java (SAAJ)
 * java.xml.ws.annotation — The subset of the JSR-250 Common Annotations defined by Java SE to support web services

So I think we don't need to use --patch-module for those APIs which already get removed. What we do is just use normal bundle for those APIs, or if we really need those API in boot stage we can put those in $KARAF_HOME/lib/boot folder, so far we need jaxb and activation in lib/boot/folder as features.core need those.

Cheers
-------------
Freeman(Yue) Fang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat

On Jun 8, 2018, at 1:37 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot for all this information. I had some questions about JDK 11 support and you've given lots of details that I will be able to relay internally.

And of course thanks a lot for all the hard work, I wish I could contribute more :)

cheers,
  Serge...

ps : for those of us who don't know we now use Apache Karaf in all our server products and love it !

Serge Huber
CTO & Co-Founder

T +41 22 361 3424
9 route des Jeunes | 1227 Acacias | Switzerland

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:48 AM, Freeman Fang <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

fpapon

Hi Serge,

This is a great news, thanks for using Apache Karaf :)

François Papon
[hidden email]

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re