Quantcast

Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
Hi,

I will create an archetype for Apache Karaf to be able to create Web
project (http://team.ops4j.org/browse/PAXWEB-334 ). I have different
questions that I would like to discuss with you :

1) Which kind of archive are we gonna to produce : bundle or war.
Depending on the choice the pom.xml content will be different like
also maven-bundle-plugin ?
2) Which web project are you interested that we generate : jsp, jsf,
wicket, gwt, ... ? I propose to start with a pax-web-jsf-archetype and
pax-web-wicket-archetype and include a Hello page or something like
that. Is there an interest to have a Struts 2.0, Vaadin, Play2.0 or
Scalate archetype ?

Regards,

Charles Moulliard

Apache Committer

Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
Skype: cmoulliard
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

jbonofre
Hi Charles,

I already have two archetypes to push in Pax Web: web bundle and war (on
master 2.0.0, but also on 1.1.x).

They are basic for now, and we can extend it with content (jsp, etc).

On 12/15/2011 09:38 AM, Charles Moulliard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will create an archetype for Apache Karaf to be able to create Web
> project (http://team.ops4j.org/browse/PAXWEB-334 ). I have different
> questions that I would like to discuss with you :
>
> 1) Which kind of archive are we gonna to produce : bundle or war.
> Depending on the choice the pom.xml content will be different like
> also maven-bundle-plugin ?
> 2) Which web project are you interested that we generate : jsp, jsf,
> wicket, gwt, ... ? I propose to start with a pax-web-jsf-archetype and
> pax-web-wicket-archetype and include a Hello page or something like
> that. Is there an interest to have a Struts 2.0, Vaadin, Play2.0 or
> Scalate archetype ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles Moulliard
>
> Apache Committer
>
> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
> Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
> Skype: cmoulliard

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Andreas Pieber
TBH I would be quite happy with jsp/pax-wicket archetypes. I personally
prefer bundle over war.

Kind regards,
Andreas

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 09:41, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> I already have two archetypes to push in Pax Web: web bundle and war (on
> master 2.0.0, but also on 1.1.x).
>
> They are basic for now, and we can extend it with content (jsp, etc).

> On 12/15/2011 09:38 AM, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I will create an archetype for Apache Karaf to be able to create Web
>> project (http://team.ops4j.org/browse/**PAXWEB-334<http://team.ops4j.org/browse/PAXWEB-334>). I have different
>> questions that I would like to discuss with you :
>>
>> 1) Which kind of archive are we gonna to produce : bundle or war.
>> Depending on the choice the pom.xml content will be different like
>> also maven-bundle-plugin ?
>> 2) Which web project are you interested that we generate : jsp, jsf,
>> wicket, gwt, ... ? I propose to start with a pax-web-jsf-archetype and
>> pax-web-wicket-archetype and include a Hello page or something like
>> that. Is there an interest to have a Struts 2.0, Vaadin, Play2.0 or
>> Scalate archetype ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Charles Moulliard
>>
>> Apache Committer
>>
>> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
>> Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
>> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/**charlesmoulliard<http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard>
>> Skype: cmoulliard

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

jbonofre
Yep, the advantage of the war archetype is that it gives an example how
to turn an existing war as a bundle war (I got the questions a lot of
time ;)).

On 12/15/2011 10:56 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:

> TBH I would be quite happy with jsp/pax-wicket archetypes. I personally
> prefer bundle over war.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 09:41, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> I already have two archetypes to push in Pax Web: web bundle and war (on
>> master 2.0.0, but also on 1.1.x).
>>
>> They are basic for now, and we can extend it with content (jsp, etc).

>> On 12/15/2011 09:38 AM, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I will create an archetype for Apache Karaf to be able to create Web
>>> project (http://team.ops4j.org/browse/**PAXWEB-334<http://team.ops4j.org/browse/PAXWEB-334>). I have different
>>> questions that I would like to discuss with you :
>>>
>>> 1) Which kind of archive are we gonna to produce : bundle or war.
>>> Depending on the choice the pom.xml content will be different like
>>> also maven-bundle-plugin ?
>>> 2) Which web project are you interested that we generate : jsp, jsf,
>>> wicket, gwt, ... ? I propose to start with a pax-web-jsf-archetype and
>>> pax-web-wicket-archetype and include a Hello page or something like
>>> that. Is there an interest to have a Struts 2.0, Vaadin, Play2.0 or
>>> Scalate archetype ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Charles Moulliard
>>>
>>> Apache Committer
>>>
>>> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
>>> Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
>>> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/**charlesmoulliard<http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard>
>>> Skype: cmoulliard
>>>

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Achim Nierbeck
Andreas,

I'm with you to create a pax-wicket bundle (jar) type archetype, maybe it's
better hosted at pax wicket :)
But especially for war-bundles (WABs) an archetype is needed to show how
easy it is to turn a war into a wab ;)

regards, Achim

Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Andreas Pieber
+1 on providing them on pax-wicket; I just wanted to say what I would like
to have; hiding the fact that I will very probably do it myself for
paxwicket :-)

Kind regards,
Andreas

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 11:29, Achim Nierbeck <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> I'm with you to create a pax-wicket bundle (jar) type archetype, maybe it's
> better hosted at pax wicket :)
> But especially for war-bundles (WABs) an archetype is needed to show how
> easy it is to turn a war into a wab ;)
>
> regards, Achim
>
> 2011/12/15 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
>
> > Yep, the advantage of the war archetype is that it gives an example how
> > turn an existing war as a bundle war (I got the questions a lot of time
> ;)).
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> >

> > On 12/15/2011 10:56 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
> >
> >> TBH I would be quite happy with jsp/pax-wicket archetypes. I personally
> >> prefer bundle over war.
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >> Andreas
> >>
> >> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 09:41, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<[hidden email]>
> >>  wrote:
> >>
> >>  Hi Charles,

> (on

> http://team.ops4j.org/browse/**PAXWEB-334>
> http://team.ops4j.org/browse/PAXWEB-334>>).

> http://www.linkedin.com/in/**charlesmoulliard>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard>

> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> > [hidden email]
> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
> > Talend - http://www.talend.com

> Project Lead
> blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

iocanel
Awesome idea!

A couple of thoughts on GWT. There are some commonly used
patterns around GWT. Some of them (e.g. the command pattern) would be
really interesting inside OSGi, as they could leverage the OSGi service
registry and produce real value. That's something I always wanted to do but
never had the time. An archetype for gwt that will include those patterns
would be awesome.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Apache Camel <http://camel.apache.org/> Committer
Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
Apache DirectMemory <http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/> Committer
*
Ioannis Canellos
http://iocanel.blogspot.com

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Achim Nierbeck
Must be close to Christmas since everybody has a wish ;)

But honestly I really like this discussion and yes maybe just starting a
new GWT based archetype will give Ioannis the right push(reason :))
for contributing to his idea :-)

regards, Achim

Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
In resume,

Achim will developp the pax - wicket archetype [+1/-1]
Ioannis the pax - gwt + command pattern archetype [+1/-1]
Myself --> pax - war and wab archetype (with a simple Hello World page
using jsp and / or jsf) [+1/-1]

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Achim Nierbeck
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Must be close to Christmas since everybody has a wish ;)
>
> But honestly I really like this discussion and yes maybe just starting a
> new GWT based archetype will give Ioannis the right push(reason :))
> for contributing to his idea :-)
>
> regards, Achim
>
> 2011/12/15 Ioannis Canellos <[hidden email]>
>
>> Awesome idea!
>>
>> A couple of thoughts on GWT. There are some commonly used
>> patterns around GWT. Some of them (e.g. the command pattern) would be
>> really interesting inside OSGi, as they could leverage the OSGi service
>> registry and produce real value. That's something I always wanted to do but
>> never had the time. An archetype for gwt that will include those patterns
>> would be awesome.
>>
>> --
>> *Ioannis Canellos*
>> *
>> FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>
>>
>> **
>> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
>> **
>> Apache Camel <http://camel.apache.org/> Committer
>> Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
>> Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
>> Apache DirectMemory <http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/> Committer
>> *

> Project Lead
> blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

jbonofre
war and wab is already done (by me), including a jsp page. Charles, I
will add the jsf one.

On 12/15/2011 12:57 PM, Charles Moulliard wrote:

> In resume,
>
> Achim will developp the pax - wicket archetype [+1/-1]
> Ioannis the pax - gwt + command pattern archetype [+1/-1]
> Myself -->  pax - war and wab archetype (with a simple Hello World page
> using jsp and / or jsf) [+1/-1]
>

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Achim Nierbeck
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Must be close to Christmas since everybody has a wish ;)
>>
>> But honestly I really like this discussion and yes maybe just starting a
>> new GWT based archetype will give Ioannis the right push(reason :))
>> for contributing to his idea :-)
>>
>> regards, Achim
>>
>> 2011/12/15 Ioannis Canellos<[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Awesome idea!
>>>
>>> A couple of thoughts on GWT. There are some commonly used
>>> patterns around GWT. Some of them (e.g. the command pattern) would be
>>> really interesting inside OSGi, as they could leverage the OSGi service
>>> registry and produce real value. That's something I always wanted to do but
>>> never had the time. An archetype for gwt that will include those patterns
>>> would be awesome.
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Ioannis Canellos*
>>> *
>>> FuseSource<http://fusesource.com>
>>>
>>> **
>>> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
>>> **
>>> Apache Karaf<http://karaf.apache.org/>  Committer&  PMC
>>> Apache Camel<http://camel.apache.org/>  Committer
>>> Apache ServiceMix<http://servicemix.apache.org/>    Committer
>>> Apache Gora<http://incubator.apache.org/gora/>  Committer
>>> Apache DirectMemory<http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/>  Committer
>>> *
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Apache Karaf<http://karaf.apache.org/>  Committer&  PMC
>> OPS4J Pax Web<http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>  Committer&
>> Project Lead
>> blog<http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Achim Nierbeck
I think Andreas volunteers for the pax-wicket one :)

Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Andreas Pieber
Yeah, I also thought so; (since there's already a task for pax-wicket
assigned to me). Just hoped that Achim says he would like to take over *g*.

But yep, that one's mine.

Kind regards,
Andreas

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 13:40, Achim Nierbeck <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I think Andreas volunteers for the pax-wicket one :)
>

> 2011/12/15 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
>
> > war and wab is already done (by me), including a jsp page. Charles, I
> will
> > add the jsf one.
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> >

> > On 12/15/2011 12:57 PM, Charles Moulliard wrote:
> >
> >> In resume,
> >>
> >> Achim will developp the pax - wicket archetype [+1/-1]
> >> Ioannis the pax - gwt + command pattern archetype [+1/-1]
> >> Myself -->  pax - war and wab archetype (with a simple Hello World page
> >> using jsp and / or jsf) [+1/-1]

> service
> do

> http://servicemix.apache.org/>>
> http://incubator.apache.org/gora/>>
> http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/>>

> http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>>
> >>>

> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> > [hidden email]
> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
> > Talend - http://www.talend.com

> Project Lead
> blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
Just a remark.

What is the added value to create a WAB ?

With a maven war project containing maven-bundle-plugin + some
modifications, we can deploy it on Karaf using
install -s mvn:mycompany.webproject/hello/1.0/war and if they don t
use Spring DM, Blueprint, OSGI registry they can also deploy their war
in Tomcat, J2EE Server and debug it inside Eclipse

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Andreas Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, I also thought so; (since there's already a task for pax-wicket
> assigned to me). Just hoped that Achim says he would like to take over *g*.
>
> But yep, that one's mine.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 13:40, Achim Nierbeck <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I think Andreas volunteers for the pax-wicket one :)
>>

>> 2011/12/15 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
>>
>> > war and wab is already done (by me), including a jsp page. Charles, I
>> will
>> > add the jsf one.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > JB

>> service
>> do

>> http://servicemix.apache.org/>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/gora/>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/>>

>> http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>>
>> >>>

>> > --
>> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> > [hidden email]
>> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> > Talend - http://www.talend.com

>> OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/> Committer &
>> Project Lead
>> blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

jbonofre
The main value is that the WEB-INF/lib could be empty and the required
lib imported (OSGi import package).

So even if you have an existing war, you can use "external" dependencies
using the OSGi statements.

On 12/15/2011 04:15 PM, Charles Moulliard wrote:

> Just a remark.
>
> What is the added value to create a WAB ?
>
> With a maven war project containing maven-bundle-plugin + some
> modifications, we can deploy it on Karaf using
> install -s mvn:mycompany.webproject/hello/1.0/war and if they don t
> use Spring DM, Blueprint, OSGI registry they can also deploy their war
> in Tomcat, J2EE Server and debug it inside Eclipse
>

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Andreas Pieber<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Yeah, I also thought so; (since there's already a task for pax-wicket
>> assigned to me). Just hoped that Achim says he would like to take over *g*.
>>
>> But yep, that one's mine.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Andreas
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 13:40, Achim Nierbeck<[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> I think Andreas volunteers for the pax-wicket one :)

>>> will

>>> service
>>> do

>>> http://servicemix.apache.org/>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/gora/>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/>>

>>> http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Apache Karaf<http://karaf.apache.org/>  Committer&  PMC
>>> OPS4J Pax Web<http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>  Committer&
>>> Project Lead
>>> blog<http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
You are right but I can also generate a WAR wit han empty WEB-INF/lib
using <scope>provided</scope>. This is what I do for all my WAR OSGI
projects ;-)

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The main value is that the WEB-INF/lib could be empty and the required lib
> imported (OSGi import package).
>
> So even if you have an existing war, you can use "external" dependencies
> using the OSGi statements.

> On 12/15/2011 04:15 PM, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>>
>> Just a remark.
>>
>> What is the added value to create a WAB ?
>>
>> With a maven war project containing maven-bundle-plugin + some
>> modifications, we can deploy it on Karaf using
>> install -s mvn:mycompany.webproject/hello/1.0/war and if they don t
>> use Spring DM, Blueprint, OSGI registry they can also deploy their war
>> in Tomcat, J2EE Server and debug it inside Eclipse
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Andreas Pieber<[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, I also thought so; (since there's already a task for pax-wicket
>>> assigned to me). Just hoped that Achim says he would like to take over
>>> *g*.
>>>
>>> But yep, that one's mine.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Andreas

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

jbonofre
Right, but in that case, your war is not able to be deployed outside
OSGi (or by pushing the lib by hand in the servlet/jsp container).

I would expect:
- that a war could be deployed inside or outside OSGi/Karaf in the same
way (the same war could be deployed in Tomcat): it's what I did in Archiva
- that a WAB is OSGi centric

My 0.02€ ;)

On 12/15/2011 04:22 PM, Charles Moulliard wrote:

> You are right but I can also generate a WAR wit han empty WEB-INF/lib
> using<scope>provided</scope>. This is what I do for all my WAR OSGI
> projects ;-)
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> The main value is that the WEB-INF/lib could be empty and the required lib
>> imported (OSGi import package).
>>
>> So even if you have an existing war, you can use "external" dependencies
>> using the OSGi statements.

>> On 12/15/2011 04:15 PM, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>>>
>>> Just a remark.
>>>
>>> What is the added value to create a WAB ?
>>>
>>> With a maven war project containing maven-bundle-plugin + some
>>> modifications, we can deploy it on Karaf using
>>> install -s mvn:mycompany.webproject/hello/1.0/war and if they don t
>>> use Spring DM, Blueprint, OSGI registry they can also deploy their war
>>> in Tomcat, J2EE Server and debug it inside Eclipse

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Archetypes to create a Web project for Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
According to what we discuss, it makes more sense that we create a WAB
archetype (instead of WAR-OSGI archetype) and provide in Karaf Manual
documentation information about how to makes a WAR compatible with
OSGI. Next, they can decide if they remove jars from WEB-INF/lib
directory using a profile by changing scope of the dependencies.