Auditing http traffic and performance monitoring

Auditing http traffic and performance monitoring

Alex O'Ree
Greetings Karaf community.

Two questions:

1) I understand that Karaf can be used to host lots of different things, however things that are used to serve up HTTP requests, is there any built in mechanism for audit the message traffic for these HTTP requests (or any other protocol for that matter)? My gut feeling is that the answer is no since karaf is not a tomcat like web app container and supports a wider variety of stuff via osgi. I think that any module deployed to karaf would need to provide it's own mechanism for auditing. Is that correct?

2) Does karaf offer any kind of built in performance monitoring mechanisms that can be queried remotely? I would image certain things are available JMX but haven't looked too much into it. Any pointers for documentation related to this is appreciated. I'm looking for any kind of performance counters really but tracking stuff like messages in/out, bytes in/out, etc, status of the modules, memory/cpu usage on a per module basis, response times, etc

thanks!

Re: Auditing http traffic and performance monitoring

jbonofre
Hi Alex,

1) I guess your are using the OSGi HTTP service (so Pax Web). Then you can use
the Jetty NCSARequestLog (globally or per application). Karaf provides security
audit log.

2) Decanter can help you there: it can harvest all MBeans metrics (via the JMX
Collector). You can then check threading, number of messages, etc depending of
the MBeans. Decanter can also throws alerts.