Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Matt Madhavan
Hello,
I'm trying to find some artifacts for creating Parent OSGi project and child bundle projects. I used to use the maven pax pluggin before I converted to Apache Karaf. (it used to create a project structure specific to Pax Runner etc).

Anyway I would like to know how do a typical Karaf user creates his/her OSGi Parent/Bundle projects? Is it done manually or is there a good Maven plugin for that?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

jbonofre
Hi Matt,

on my side, I create the projects by hand.

We discussed early this afternoon with Charles to create some archetypes
(for web bundles, but it could make sense to have archetype for bundle).

Do you think that Maven archetype could fit your needs ?

On 12/14/2011 07:51 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to find some artifacts for creating Parent OSGi project and child
> bundle projects. I used to use the maven pax pluggin before I converted to
> Apache Karaf. (it used to create a project structure specific to Pax Runner
> etc).
>
> Anyway I would like to know how do a typical Karaf user creates his/her OSGi
> Parent/Bundle projects? Is it done manually or is there a good Maven plugin
> for that?
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Matt Madhavan
Hi JB,
Yes that would fulfill my needs. Also for bundles since most people are using BluePrint Maven Felix Plugin if the archetypes can create folders/structures for these features as well it will be great.

Is there a working archetype for web now? May be I can extend it.

Also when you create a parent project for Karaf based project if it creates a project for "features" also it will be great.

Thanks
Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

jbonofre
Hi Matt,

thanks for the update.

Currently, we have archetypes for command, feature and kar, but not for
bundle (web or not :)).

Anyway, I make sense for me to extend the existing ones with an
archetype dedicated to bundle.

I will work on it tomorrow and blog about that.

On 12/14/2011 09:07 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:

> Hi JB,
> Yes that would fulfill my needs. Also for bundles since most people are
> using BluePrint Maven Felix Plugin if the archetypes can create
> folders/structures for these features as well it will be great.
>
> Is there a working archetype for web now? May be I can extend it.
>
> Also when you create a parent project for Karaf based project if it creates
> a project for "features" also it will be great.
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Matt Madhavan
Hi JB,
Please keep me informed. I'm very interested in participating.

Thanks
Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

David Jencks
We also have a karaf-assembly archetype (in trunk).

I think that an archetype that uses the bundle packaging should be in felix next to the maven bundle plugin.    There's no need to hide it here.

thanks
david jencks

On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:

> Hi JB,
> Please keep me informed. I'm very interested in participating.
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

jbonofre
Hi David,

agree, but as felix doesn't provide one, I propose to create a set of
archetypes in Karaf (bundle, bundle-blueprint, web-bundle, war) and
donate each in target project (bundle, web-bundle and war to felix,
bundle-blueprint to aries).

I'm working on it right now.

NB: the assembly archetype doesn't work on trunk, I'm gonna fix that too.

On 12/14/2011 11:32 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> We also have a karaf-assembly archetype (in trunk).
>
> I think that an archetype that uses the bundle packaging should be in felix next to the maven bundle plugin.    There's no need to hide it here.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:
>
>> Hi JB,
>> Please keep me informed. I'm very interested in participating.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

NB: the archetypes work (bad usage on my side ;), I need more coffee on
the morning :)

OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/> Committer & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

jbonofre
Right, it's what we said yesterday, but my morning wake up wasn't good ;)

On 12/15/2011 09:08 AM, Achim Nierbeck wrote:

> Hi JB,
>
> wouldn't it make more sense to add the web-bundle and war archetype to
> pax web :)
>
> regards, Achim
>
> 2011/12/15 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     NB: the archetypes work (bad usage on my side ;), I need more coffee
>     on the morning :)
>

>     On 12/14/2011 11:32 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>         We also have a karaf-assembly archetype (in trunk).
>
>         I think that an archetype that uses the bundle packaging should
>         be in felix next to the maven bundle plugin.    There's no need
>         to hide it here.
>
>         thanks
>         david jencks
>
>         On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:
>
>             Hi JB,
>             Please keep me informed. I'm very interested in participating.
>
>             Thanks
>             Matt
>
>             --
>

>     --
>     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://blog.nanthrax.net
>     Talend - http://www.talend.com

> OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/> Committer
> & Project Lead
> blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Achim Nierbeck
JB,

:) I suggest you grab another cup of coffee then ;)

[...]

Hello JB and Achim,
Maven Pax Plugin might be a good starting point. Looks like it has not been updated for a while and does not work well at all with m2eclipse(When you try to create a bundle it totally cobbers the parent pom) and its tailored more towards PaxRunner.

But I'm sure we can borrow lots of base knowledge and code from this.

Just a thought!

Thanks
Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

jbonofre
Hi Matt,

sorry but I don't use Eclipse. I tested all archetypes in pure Maven
without problem.

I'm working on a set of new archetypes tonight. I will blog about that
tomorrow.

On 12/15/2011 06:15 PM, Matt Madhavan wrote:

> Hello JB and Achim,
> Maven Pax Plugin might be a good starting point. Looks like it has not been
> updated for a while and does not work well at all with m2eclipse(When you
> try to create a bundle it totally cobbers the parent pom) and its tailored
> more towards PaxRunner.
>
> But I'm sure we can borrow lots of base knowledge and code from this.
>
> Just a thought!
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Re: Basic question - Maven Plugin for creating Parent Projects/Bundle projects

Andreas Pieber
I'm not so sure if we can really use that much of the pax plugin. There is much structure and logic you typically do not use for a karaf project. The question is: what exactly do you want the archetype for: a) a multiproject karaf project or b) a single module. Both would be completely different from the current pax structure. I would suggest not to use e.g. those osgi files but rather define the logic directly in the pom. In addition I would suggest to not use the parents/xxx pom structure but rather a clean head <- child structure straight from the top to the bottom. In addition we'll need a features/assembly project instead of the provision folder. I think that's all.

WDYT?

Kind regards,
Andreas