Changing the location of the /etc/users.properties file

Changing the location of the /etc/users.properties file

cmueller
Hello list!

We are using the FuseSource versions of SMX 4.2.0 (Felix Karaf 1.4.0) and 4.3.1 (Karaf 2.1.4).
Is it possible to change the location/name of the ${KARAF_ROOT}/etc/users.properties file? Where I have to configure this?

I found the thread [1] which looks for me this feature was introduced in Karaf 2.2.0. Is this right?

[1] http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Keep-clean-repo-and-JAAS-configuration-for-the-end-users-td2382766.html

Best,
Christian

Re: Changing the location of the /etc/users.properties file

jbonofre
Hi Christian,

yes, you can change the users.properties location.

It's in the JAAS PropertiesLoginModule configuration.

We package one by default:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/branches/karaf-2.2.x/jaas/modules/src/main/resources/OSGI-INF/blueprint/karaf-jaas-module.xml

You have documentation about the Security Framework:

http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.2.x/developers-guide/security-framework.html

explaining how to override the property.

On 12/01/2011 06:13 PM, Christian Müller wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> We are using the FuseSource versions of SMX 4.2.0 (Felix Karaf 1.4.0)
> and 4.3.1 (Karaf 2.1.4).
> Is it possible to change the location/name of the
> ${KARAF_ROOT}/etc/users.properties file? Where I have to configure this?
>
> I found the thread [1] which looks for me this feature was introduced in
> Karaf 2.2.0. Is this right?
>
> [1]
> http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Keep-clean-repo-and-JAAS-configuration-for-the-end-users-td2382766.html
>
> Best,
> Christian

Re: Changing the location of the /etc/users.properties file

cmueller
Thanks for your reply JB and sorry for responding so late. Busy weeks - all my colleges enjoy the holidays...

I looked into the Karaf documentation but I didn't found the solution I was looking for. My "wish" is to edit "org.apache.karaf.jaas.cfg" and set the property "users" to e.g. "/Users/admin/karaf/users.properties". But this is not possible as long this property is hard coded to "$[karaf.base]/etc/users.properties". May there is a good reason for this hard coded value you can share with me?

However, I understood I have to deploy a blueprint configuration like as the one below:
<blueprint xmlns="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/blueprint/v1.0.0"
  xmlns:jaas="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/jaas/v1.1.0"
  xmlns:ext="http://aries.apache.org/blueprint/xmlns/blueprint-ext/v1.0.0">

  <ext:property-placeholder placeholder-prefix="$[" placeholder-suffix="]"/>

  <jaas:config name="karaf" rank="100">
    <jaas:module className="org.apache.karaf.jaas.modules.properties.PropertiesLoginModule" flags="required">
      users = $[karaf.base]/etc/users.properties
    </jaas:module>
  </jaas:config>
</blueprint>

In SMX 4.2.0 (Felix Karaf 1.4.0) I found a similar solution (only a different namespace).

Thanks for your help,
Christian