Quantcast

Compression in karaf

dayanand
Hi,

I m new to apache karaf, I wanted to enable the gzip compression at jetty web server level in karaf.

My application doesn't have web.xml

Please suggest, how to acheive compression

Re: Compression in karaf

You have to use the GzipFilter.

You have to provide a web.xml including something like:

   <filter>
     <filter-name>GzipFilter</filter-name>
     <filter-class>org.eclipse.jetty.servlets.GzipFilter</filter-class>
     <init-param>
       <param-name>mimeTypes</param-name>

<param-value>text/html,text/plain,text/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/css,application/javascript,image/svg+xml</param-value>
     </init-param>
   </filter>
   <filter-mapping>
     <filter-name>GzipFilter</filter-name>
     <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
   </filter-mapping>

On 12/30/2013 04:22 PM, dayanand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I m new to apache karaf, I wanted to enable the gzip compression at jetty
> web server level in karaf.
>
> My application doesn't have web.xml
>
> Please suggest, how to acheive compression

Re: Compression in karaf

dayanand
Hi JB,

Thank you for your reply.

My application doesn't have web.xml, then where do i put these lines

Is there any other way ?

Re: Compression in karaf

You might try to add a general rule to the jetty.xml. Or move your project
into a wab project.

Regards achim

sent from mobile device
Am 31.12.2013 13:19 schrieb "dayanand" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi JB,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> My application doesn't have web.xml, then where do i put these lines
>
> Is there any other way ?

Re: Compression in karaf

dayanand
Hi,

Can you please give an example how to add rule to jetty.xml.

Re: Compression in karaf

Achim Nierbeck
I checked the Jetty documentation, it's quite simple to support gzip
compression,
you just need a filter for it. So add a filter to your Application
according to the documentation of jetty [1].

regards, Achim

[1] - http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/gzip-filter.html

2013/12/31 dayanand <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> Can you please give an example how to add rule to jetty.xml.
>
> Thanks

Project Lead
OPS4J Pax for Vaadin <http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home>
Commiter & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Compression in karaf

dayanand
I created 'jetty-web.xml' and 'webdefault.xml' in dsp-k-1.5.0\etc folder

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE Configure PUBLIC "-//Jetty//Configure//EN" "http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/configure.dtd">

<Configure class="org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext">
        <Set name="defaultsDescriptor">webdefault.xml</Set>
</Configure>

and 'webdefault.xml'

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
        xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
        xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"
        id="WebApp_ID" version="2.5">

        <filter>
                <filter-name>GzipFilter</filter-name>
                <filter-class>org.eclipse.jetty.servlets.GzipFilter</filter-class>
                <init-param>
                        <param-name>mimeTypes</param-name>
                        <param-value>text/html,text/plain,text/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/css,application/javascript,application/json,image/svg+xml</param-value>
                </init-param>
        </filter>
        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>GzipFilter</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        </filter-mapping>

</web-app>

Add entry in org.ops4j.pax.web.cfg file

org.ops4j.pax.web.config.file=./etc/jetty-web.xml

still it is not working,, can you please provide me an simple example talking about gzip compression in karaf

Re: Compression in karaf

dayanand
Hi All,

Please reply ..... I m really in need

Thanks in Advance

Re: Compression in karaf

you'll find plenty of samples at the Pax-Web GitHub project. [1]
If you want to use the HttpService as you've done before, you'll just need
to register a compression filter as I've send you before. [2]
You'll find a sample on how to register filters with Pax-Web at [3].
Another way of using filters is to use a WAB [4]. There you need to
register your compression filter also, as JB mentioned first.
There is nothing directly to be configured for Jetty.

regards, Achim

[1] - https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.web/tree/master/samples
[2] - http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/gzip-filter.html
[3] -
https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.web/blob/master/samples/helloworld-wc/src/main/java/org/ops4j/pax/web/samples/helloworld/wc/internal/Activator.java#L101
[4] -
https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.web/tree/master/samples/war-spring-osgi

Commiter & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Compression in karaf

mikl
This post was updated on .
Hello did you find a solution ? i am also searching (i want to enable the configuration for the global server not for individual webapp).