[DISCUSS] Apache Karaf user survey as part of 3.x roadmap planning

[DISCUSS] Apache Karaf user survey as part of 3.x roadmap planning

jgoodyear
Hi All,

To help us plan the Apache Karaf 3.x roadmap we are looking at issuing
a user survey. I have created KARAF-406 to track the efforts around
setting this project in motion.

The purpose of this email is give all our developers time to suggest
some Karaf survey questions. I have uploaded to KARAF-406 a brief list
of questions, adapted from the recent Apache Camel survey, as an
example of the kind of questions that could be useful to our community
(these examples are mostly generic user base modeling).

One question I would think to add to the list would be:

Which OSGI framework do you primarily use in Karaf?
a) Apache Felix
b) Equinox
c) If other, please specify

Another could be:

If you are using Karaf's JDBC failover mechanism, which database
support do you use?
a) Derby
b) MySQL
c) Oracle
d) If other, please specify

Cheers,
Jamie

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Karaf user survey as part of 3.x roadmap planning

Guillaume Nodet
Thx for taking care of that Jamie.  I haven't had any time to look at
the JIRA yet, but i'll have a close look as soon as 2.2 is out.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 21:11, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> To help us plan the Apache Karaf 3.x roadmap we are looking at issuing
> a user survey. I have created KARAF-406 to track the efforts around
> setting this project in motion.
>
> The purpose of this email is give all our developers time to suggest
> some Karaf survey questions. I have uploaded to KARAF-406 a brief list
> of questions, adapted from the recent Apache Camel survey, as an
> example of the kind of questions that could be useful to our community
> (these examples are mostly generic user base modeling).
>
> One question I would think to add to the list would be:
>
> Which OSGI framework do you primarily use in Karaf?
> a) Apache Felix
> b) Equinox
> c) If other, please specify
>
> Another could be:
>
> If you are using Karaf's JDBC failover mechanism, which database
> support do you use?
> a) Derby
> b) MySQL
> c) Oracle
> d) If other, please specify
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Karaf user survey as part of 3.x roadmap planning

mikevan
We should also ask:

What would the impact of making Karaf a JDK 1.6 compiled application be to your project:
1) major
2) minor
3) none

Also, how do you guys feel about giving users the option of data-basing configuration files out-of-the-box?

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Karaf user survey as part of 3.x roadmap planning

Andreas Pieber
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 07:48:42AM -0800, karafman wrote:

> We should also ask:
>
> What would the impact of making Karaf a JDK 1.6 compiled application be to
> your project:
> 1) major
> 2) minor
> 3) none

+1; IMHO we should also include a question:

If you've chosen JDK 1.5, how long would you like karaf to support jdk 1.5 (at
least on a 2.x base)

2 months
half a year
a year
2 years
forever ;)

BTW, the survey uses "sun java..."; is it even legal to do this any longer since
its ORACLE java? ;)

Otherwise +1

kind regards,
andreas