Decanter / Accessing Kibana with an external IP

Decanter / Accessing Kibana with an external IP

karstenB
Hello, i installed Karaf + Decanter according to this: http://karaf.apache.org/decanter_installation.html with a Java8 JRE on Windows7 and another installation on Linux Suse enterprise with same result. The collectors, appenders are running and i can access Kibana with a locally started Browswer with no problem showing dashboards etc. Elasticsearch-Head and the cluster is available by non local Ip also. The first Kibana page is shown, then an error page comes up saying it cannot connect to ES. error: Error: Unknown error while connecting to Elasticsearch ErrorAbstract@http://:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:84021:19 NoConnections@http://:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:84044:3 sendReqWithConnection@http://:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:85302:15 next@http://:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:83802:1 [13]</process.nextTick</<@http://<external IP>:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:52880:21 The Kibana forum talks about Proxy-Settings but these are off already. in elasticsearch.yml i tried network.host with localhost, 127.0.0.1 and external ip i see in file "config" of the kibana bundle the ES access to localhost:9200 which is working with ES-Head. How do i open the Kibana dashboards to other Ip addresses? Thanks in advance, Karsten

Re: Decanter / Accessing Kibana with an external IP

jbonofre
Hi Karsten,

Just to be sure I understand your issue: kibana works fine when you access it
locally (using localhost address for instance), but fails when you access remotely ?

I think it could be related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-4113.

By default kibana uses the window.location.hostname for the elasticsearch
location. So, remotely, it won't find the elasticsearch instance if it's not on
the same location/address.

Can you try to "force" the elasticsearch location using the following URL:

http://kibana:8181/kibana?elasticsearch=http://elasticsearch:9400

?

On 04/12/2017 09:46 AM, karstenB wrote:

> Hello,i installed Karaf + Decanter according to
> this:http://karaf.apache.org/decanter_installation.htmlwith a Java8 JRE on
> Windows7 and another installation on Linux Suse enterprise with same
> result.The collectors, appenders are running and i can access Kibana with a
> locally started Browswer with no problem showing dashboards
> etc.Elasticsearch-Head and the cluster is available by non local Ip also.
> The first Kibana page is shown, then an error page comes up saying it cannot
> connect to ES.error:Error: Unknown error while connecting to Elasticsearch
> ErrorAbstract@http://:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:84021:19
> NoConnections@http://:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:84044:3
> sendReqWithConnection@http://:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:85302:15
> next@http://:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:83802:1
> [13]</process.nextTick&lt;/&lt;@http://&lt;external
> IP>:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:52880:21The Kibana forum talks about
> Proxy-Settings but these are off already.in elasticsearch.yml i tried
> network.host with localhost, 127.0.0.1 and external ipi see in file "config"
> of the kibana bundle the ES access to localhost:9200 which is working with
> ES-Head.How do i open the Kibana dashboards to other Ip addresses?Thanks in
> advance,Karsten

RE: Decanter / Accessing Kibana with an external IP

karstenB

Hi JB,

that did not work out either:

http://<decanter_ip>:8181/kibana?elasticsearch=http://<decanter_ip>:9300

produced from external ip:

   Error: Unknown error while connecting to Elasticsearch Error:

   No Living connections at sendReqWithConnection

   (http://<decanter_ip>:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:85302:15)

   at next (http://<decanter_ip>:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:83802:7)

   at http://<decanter_ip>:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:52880:21

Calling the above from my local machine worked.

I replaced the Kibana bundle with a separate 4.4.2 Kibana installation.

Which is not as neat as having everything in karaf but works.

Re: Decanter / Accessing Kibana with an external IP

jbonofre
Thanks for the report.

Let me try to reproduce and investigate. I will eventually create a Jira and
will let you know.

On 04/13/2017 09:41 AM, karstenB wrote:

> Hi JB,
> that did not work out either:
> http://<decanter_ip>:8181/kibana?elasticsearch=http://<decanter_ip>:9300<http://%3cdecanter_ip%3e:8181/kibana?elasticsearch=http://%3cdecanter_ip%3e:9300>
> produced from external ip:
>
>    Error: Unknown error while connecting to Elasticsearch Error:
>    No Living connections at sendReqWithConnection
>    (http://<decanter_ip>:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:85302:15)
>    at next (http://<decanter_ip>:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:83802:7)
>    at http://<decanter_ip>:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:52880:21<http://%3cdecanter_ip%3e:8181/kibana/index.js?_b=7562:52880:21>
>
> Calling the above from my local machine worked.
> I replaced the Kibana bundle with a separate 4.4.2 Kibana installation.
> Which is not as neat as having everything in karaf but works.

RE: Decanter / Accessing Kibana with an external IP

karstenB

Ok thanks,

Regards

Karsten

RE: Decanter / Accessing Kibana with an external IP

Vincent
I have the same issue.
I uninstall kibana bundle and installed kibana/3.1.1
now error message is :

Error Could not contact Elasticsearch at http://IP_address:9200. Please ensure that Elasticsearch is reachable from your system.
1 alert(s)

Connection Failed

Possibility #1: Your elasticsearch server is down or unreachable
This can be caused by a network outage, or a failure of the Elasticsearch process. If you have recently run a query that required a terms facet to be executed it is possible the process has run out of memory and stopped. Be sure to check your Elasticsearch logs for any sign of memory pressure.
Possibility #2: You are running Elasticsearch 1.4 or higher
Elasticsearch 1.4 ships with a security setting that prevents Kibana from connecting. You will need to set the following in your elasticsearch.yml:

1. http.cors.enabled: true
2. http.cors.allow-origin to the correct protocol, hostname, and port (if not 80) that your access Kibana from. Note that if you are running Kibana in a sub-url, you should exclude the sub-url path and only include the protocol, hostname and port. For example, http://mycompany.com:8080, not http://mycompany.com:8080/kibana.

Click back, or the home button, when you have resolved the connection issue