FW: Change in behaviour of karaf-maven-plugin w.r.t. dependencies for feature packaging between 4.0.x and 4.1.x

FW: Change in behaviour of karaf-maven-plugin w.r.t. dependencies for feature packaging between 4.0.x and 4.1.x

Arunan Balasubramaniam
  Hello,

  With updating to Karaf 4.1.1 I have found a change in behaviour in the karaf-maven-plugin seemingly no longer adding bundles from POM dependencies. I have put a testcase up at https://github.com/arunan-interlink/karaf-maven-plugin-features-change that demonstrates the issue. Changing the version of karaf-maven-plugin used in the top level POM shows the different behaviours in the output feature file.

  Has anybody else had similar issues? Has anybody else started using the 4.1.x Maven plugins and had this work?

  My apologies if I have missed a release note, existing issue or if this is an incorrect configuration.

  Regards,
  Arunan

Re: FW: Change in behaviour of karaf-maven-plugin w.r.t. dependencies for feature packaging between 4.0.x and 4.1.x

jbonofre
Hi Arunan,

let me take a look but it sounds like a bug to me.

I keep you posted.

On 04/12/2017 04:25 PM, Arunan Balasubramaniam wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>   With updating to Karaf 4.1.1 I have found a change in behaviour in the karaf-maven-plugin seemingly no longer adding bundles from POM dependencies. I have put a testcase up at https://github.com/arunan-interlink/karaf-maven-plugin-features-change that demonstrates the issue. Changing the version of karaf-maven-plugin used in the top level POM shows the different behaviours in the output feature file.
>
>   Has anybody else had similar issues? Has anybody else started using the 4.1.x Maven plugins and had this work?
>
>   My apologies if I have missed a release note, existing issue or if this is an incorrect configuration.
>
>   Regards,
>   Arunan

Re: FW: Change in behaviour of karaf-maven-plugin w.r.t. dependencies for feature packaging between 4.0.x and 4.1.x

Guillaume Nodet-2
Didn't we discussed that on dev@ a while ago ?
The thread is named "[DISCUSS] Feature package, feature generation and validation", started on 13/10/2016.
IIRC, the outcome was to remove the  ‘feature-generate-descriptor’ goal from the ‘feature’ packaging by default.

[...]

Oh it's the generate-description goal, I thought it was the assembly goal.

On 04/12/2017 04:49 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Didn't we discussed that on dev@ a while ago ?
> The thread is named "[DISCUSS] Feature package, feature generation and
> validation", started on 13/10/2016.
> IIRC, the outcome was to remove the  ‘feature-generate-descriptor’ goal from
> the ‘feature’ packaging by default.

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi Arunan,
>
>     let me take a look but it sounds like a bug to me.
>
>     I keep you posted.
>
>     Regards
>     JB
>

>     On 04/12/2017 04:25 PM, Arunan Balasubramaniam wrote:
>
>           Hello,
>
>           With updating to Karaf 4.1.1 I have found a change in behaviour in the
>         karaf-maven-plugin seemingly no longer adding bundles from POM
>         dependencies. I have put a testcase up at
>         https://github.com/arunan-interlink/karaf-maven-plugin-features-change
>         <https://github.com/arunan-interlink/karaf-maven-plugin-features-change>
>         that demonstrates the issue. Changing the version of karaf-maven-plugin
>         used in the top level POM shows the different behaviours in the output
>         feature file.
>
>           Has anybody else had similar issues? Has anybody else started using
>         the 4.1.x Maven plugins and had this work?
>
>           My apologies if I have missed a release note, existing issue or if
>         this is an incorrect configuration.
>
>           Regards,
>           Arunan
>

>     --
>     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://blog.nanthrax.net
>     Talend - http://www.talend.com
>

> --
> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet

RE: FW: Change in behaviour of karaf-maven-plugin w.r.t. dependencies for feature packaging between 4.0.x and 4.1.x

Arunan Balasubramaniam

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the reference, much appreciated.

Looks like https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/manual/src/main/asciidoc/developer-guide/karaf-maven-plugin.adoc could do with an update at least regarding karaf:features-generate-descriptor . I would volunteer a patch but I don't know what the right updates are, sorry.

And generally, thanks to everybody for Karaf, I've been using it for a year and really enjoying it.

Arunan

Re: FW: Change in behaviour of karaf-maven-plugin w.r.t. dependencies for feature packaging between 4.0.x and 4.1.x

jbonofre
Hi Arunan,

good catch for the documentation.

You can submit a pull request on the dev guide, I will merge/rebase with the
current work in progress.

Thanks !

On 04/13/2017 09:49 AM, Arunan Balasubramaniam wrote:

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> Thanks for the reference, much appreciated.
>
> Looks like https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/manual/src/main/asciidoc/developer-guide/karaf-maven-plugin.adoc could do with an update at least regarding karaf:features-generate-descriptor . I would volunteer a patch but I don't know what the right updates are, sorry.
>
> And generally, thanks to everybody for Karaf, I've been using it for a year and really enjoying it.
>
> Arunan

I gave it a go at https://github.com/apache/karaf/pull/293

Cheers,
Arunan