FYI, OSGi Features RFP

Guillaume Nodet-2
See https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfps/rfp-0188-Features.pdf

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

jbonofre
Thanks for the update, great news ;)

> See https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfps/rfp-0188-Features.pdf

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

bhillou
Interesting ! Is it planned to be based on Karaf Features model ?

cheers,
  Serge...

Serge Huber
CTO & Co-Founder
T +41 22 361 3424
9 route des Jeunes | 1227 Acacias | Switzerland
jahia.com <http://www.jahia.com/>
SKYPE | LINKEDIN <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sergehuber> | TWITTER
<https://twitter.com/sergehuber> | VCARD
<http://www.jahia.com/vcard/HuberSerge.vcf>

> JOIN OUR COMMUNITY <http://www.jahia.com/> to evaluate, get trained and
to discover why Jahia is a leading User Experience Platform (UXP) for
Digital Transformation.

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfps/rfp-0188-Features.pdf
>
> --
> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

Thanks Guillaume for sharing !

It's a great news :)

François

Le 09/04/2018 à 12:54, Guillaume Nodet a écrit :
> See https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfps/rfp-0188-Features.pdf

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

Guillaume Nodet-2
I was not in any way aware of this RFP and I'm not part of the process, but
this looks really inspired from Karaf Features at least.
The author, David B. is a Karaf committer, so he may be able to comment on
what he has in mind.

Having said that, I'm not so sure it's a good thing for Karaf, but we'll
see. Hopefully things will go well this time, but I've already seen several
things go wrong at the OSGi EEG...

Guillaume

> Interesting ! Is it planned to be based on Karaf Features model ?
>
> cheers,
>   Serge...
>
> Serge Huber
> CTO & Co-Founder
> T +41 22 361 3424
> 9 route des Jeunes | 1227 Acacias | Switzerland
> jahia.com <http://www.jahia.com/>
> SKYPE | LINKEDIN <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sergehuber> | TWITTER
> <https://twitter.com/sergehuber> | VCARD
> <http://www.jahia.com/vcard/HuberSerge.vcf>
>

> > JOIN OUR COMMUNITY <http://www.jahia.com/> to evaluate, get trained and
> to discover why Jahia is a leading User Experience Platform (UXP) for
> Digital Transformation.
>
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > See https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfps/rfp-
> 0188-Features.pdf
> >
> > --
> > ------------------------
> > Guillaume Nodet

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

fpapon
Hi Guillaume,

Can you explain why you think it's not a good thing for Karaf ?

François

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

Guillaume Nodet-2

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> Can you explain why you think it's not a good thing for Karaf ?

Because from an OSGi pov, it's not really possible to involve the Karaf
community, so if the community is not fully involved, I don't see how it
could be beneficial to it.   The OSGi Alliance is not an open source
organization, so things are developed internally amongst the OSGi members,
and you have to be an OSGi member in order to have any saying (we'll you
can always raise issues but you have no saying, really).

My fear is that we'll end up with a trimmed down version of what Karaf
actually supports (hopefully not without incompatible things) and that we
will be pressured to support it, and it may lead us to directions we may
have not pursued otherwise.

For example, blueprint is under specified and we have to work harder in
order to add things that are outside the standard.  Though, given the OSGi
Alliance is somewhat abandoning blueprint, I think my next move on this
area will be to get rid of the standard and just use an aries specific
schema instead (enhanced, but without having to use a difference schema for
the extensions).

But I hope I'll be proved wrong.

> François
>

> Le 09/04/2018 à 13:35, Guillaume Nodet a écrit :
> > I was not in any way aware of this RFP and I'm not part of the process,
> but
> > this looks really inspired from Karaf Features at least.
> > The author, David B. is a Karaf committer, so he may be able to comment
> on
> > what he has in mind.
> >
> > Having said that, I'm not so sure it's a good thing for Karaf, but we'll
> > see. Hopefully things will go well this time, but I've already seen
> several
> > things go wrong at the OSGi EEG...
> >
> > Guillaume

> >> Interesting ! Is it planned to be based on Karaf Features model ?
> >>
> >> cheers,
> >>   Serge...
> >>
> >> Serge Huber
> >> CTO & Co-Founder
> >> T +41 22 361 3424
> >> 9 route des Jeunes | 1227 Acacias | Switzerland
> >> jahia.com <http://www.jahia.com/>
> >> SKYPE | LINKEDIN <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sergehuber> | TWITTER
> >> <https://twitter.com/sergehuber> | VCARD
> >> <http://www.jahia.com/vcard/HuberSerge.vcf>

> and
> >> to discover why Jahia is a leading User Experience Platform (UXP) for
> >> Digital Transformation.

> >> 0188-Features.pdf

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

fpapon
I didn't know about the OSGi alliance inside... if it's not an open
source organization and community not involved, I understand your fear.

Thanks for your explanation ;)

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

cschneider
I think the RFP is based on the prototype of the sling feature model.

See:
https://github.com/apache/sling-whiteboard/tree/master/featuremodel

As far as I know this is indeed inspired by karaf. I am not sure how
compatible it is at the moment. I will try to participate in the
standardisation effort and try to achieve some compatibility with karaf.

Christian

> I was not in any way aware of this RFP and I'm not part of the process, but
> this looks really inspired from Karaf Features at least.
> The author, David B. is a Karaf committer, so he may be able to comment on
> what he has in mind.
>
> Having said that, I'm not so sure it's a good thing for Karaf, but we'll
> see. Hopefully things will go well this time, but I've already seen several
> things go wrong at the OSGi EEG...
>
> Guillaume

> > Interesting ! Is it planned to be based on Karaf Features model ?
> >
> > cheers,
> >   Serge...
> >
> > Serge Huber
> > CTO & Co-Founder
> > T +41 22 361 3424
> > 9 route des Jeunes | 1227 Acacias | Switzerland
> > jahia.com <http://www.jahia.com/>
> > SKYPE | LINKEDIN <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sergehuber> | TWITTER
> > <https://twitter.com/sergehuber> | VCARD
> > <http://www.jahia.com/vcard/HuberSerge.vcf>
> >

> > > JOIN OUR COMMUNITY <http://www.jahia.com/> to evaluate, get trained
> and
> > to discover why Jahia is a leading User Experience Platform (UXP) for
> > Digital Transformation.
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > See https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfps/rfp-
> > 0188-Features.pdf
> > >
> > > --
> > > ------------------------
> > > Guillaume Nodet
> > >

> --
> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

Grzegorz Grzybek
Hello

And how about Eclipse features? From certain perspective, these are also
higher-level concept than standard bundles, but probably not that
runtime-specific (I mean there's no "feature service" you can obtain and
for example list installed features).

I'm also a bit worried about forcing Karaf to implement post-factum
standard...

regards
Grzegorz Grzybek

> I think the RFP is based on the prototype of the sling feature model.
>
> See:
> https://github.com/apache/sling-whiteboard/tree/master/featuremodel
>
> As far as I know this is indeed inspired by karaf. I am not sure how
> compatible it is at the moment. I will try to participate in the
> standardisation effort and try to achieve some compatibility with karaf.
>
> Christian

> > I was not in any way aware of this RFP and I'm not part of the process,
> but
> > this looks really inspired from Karaf Features at least.
> > The author, David B. is a Karaf committer, so he may be able to comment
> on
> > what he has in mind.
> >
> > Having said that, I'm not so sure it's a good thing for Karaf, but we'll
> > see. Hopefully things will go well this time, but I've already seen
> several
> > things go wrong at the OSGi EEG...
> >
> > Guillaume

> > > Interesting ! Is it planned to be based on Karaf Features model ?
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > >   Serge...
> > >
> > > Serge Huber
> > > CTO & Co-Founder
> > > T +41 22 361 3424
> > > 9 route des Jeunes | 1227 Acacias | Switzerland
> > > jahia.com <http://www.jahia.com/>
> > > SKYPE | LINKEDIN <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sergehuber> | TWITTER
> > > <https://twitter.com/sergehuber> | VCARD
> > > <http://www.jahia.com/vcard/HuberSerge.vcf>

> > and
> > > to discover why Jahia is a leading User Experience Platform (UXP) for
> > > Digital Transformation.

> > > 0188-Features.pdf

> > --
> > ------------------------
> > Guillaume Nodet

> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
> Computer Scientist
> http://www.adobe.com

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

davidb

As Guillaume says OSGi Alliance is not an open source organisation. It is a
Standards Development Organisation (SDO) where all the OSGi specifications
are developed by a community of members. These members include committers
from Apache, Eclipse and other open source organisations. OSGi is an open
organisation, any company can join and participate. OSGi is not dominated
by one company or individual, specs are developed by volunteers from the
membership and the development process is democratic and open [1]. While
OSGi is driven by its members, there are public feedback channels, see at
the bottom of [1], so if someone is concerned about the direction of a
spec, post feedback, talk to any of the OSGi members or become involved
yourself :)
Most of the OSGi specs are developed through open source projects, many in
Apache. Implementation of an OSGi spec is entirely optional, btw.

Coming back to the RFP that I posted to the OSGi design git repo... This
came from the observation that there are still a number of different ways
to define OSGi applications. Grzegorz mentions Eclipse features below.
Karaf obviously has Karaf Features, Apache Sling has a provisioning
model/feature model and there are even more. The idea for a spec would be
that it would be nice to have a portable description of OSGi applications
that each community would understand. This is often how OSGi specs get
started: the observation that multiple projects try to solve the same
problem, in fact in most cases there were already pre-existing solutions
before a spec is written.
The RFP only states requirements, and these haven't even been discussed in
OSGi yet, but obviously it would be great if all interested projects have
representation in the OSGi discussions, so it's great that Christian has
already offered to wear the Karaf hat.

So... we're really at step 0. I personally think it's worth trying to come
up with a portable application/feature description model in an OSGi spec,
and that's why I'm proposing the RFP. If you're worried, interested or
excited by this: please feel free to provide feedback and help out! :)

Best regards,

David

PS full disclosure: besides being an Apache commiter, I work for Adobe and
am co-chair of the OSGi Enterprise Expert Group [2]

[1] https://github.com/osgi/design
[2] https://www.osgi.org/about-us/working-groups/enterprise/

On 9 April 2018 at 11:39, Grzegorz Grzybek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> And how about Eclipse features? From certain perspective, these are also
> higher-level concept than standard bundles, but probably not that
> runtime-specific (I mean there's no "feature service" you can obtain and
> for example list installed features).
>
> I'm also a bit worried about forcing Karaf to implement post-factum
> standard...
>
> regards
> Grzegorz Grzybek

> > I think the RFP is based on the prototype of the sling feature model.
> >
> > See:
> > https://github.com/apache/sling-whiteboard/tree/master/featuremodel
> >
> > As far as I know this is indeed inspired by karaf. I am not sure how
> > compatible it is at the moment. I will try to participate in the
> > standardisation effort and try to achieve some compatibility with karaf.
> >
> > Christian

> > > I was not in any way aware of this RFP and I'm not part of the process,
> > but
> > > this looks really inspired from Karaf Features at least.
> > > The author, David B. is a Karaf committer, so he may be able to comment
> > on
> > > what he has in mind.
> > >
> > > Having said that, I'm not so sure it's a good thing for Karaf, but
> we'll
> > > see. Hopefully things will go well this time, but I've already seen
> > several
> > > things go wrong at the OSGi EEG...
> > >
> > > Guillaume

> trained
> > > and

> > > --
> > > ------------------------
> > > Guillaume Nodet
> > >

> > --
> > --
> > Christian Schneider
> > http://www.liquid-reality.de
> >
> > Computer Scientist
> > http://www.adobe.com

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

That's a fair comment.

However, we can still maintain our feature model, not following the specification.

On 04/09/2018 12:00 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

>> Hi Guillaume,
>>
>> Can you explain why you think it's not a good thing for Karaf ?
>>

> Because from an OSGi pov, it's not really possible to involve the Karaf
> community, so if the community is not fully involved, I don't see how it
> could be beneficial to it.   The OSGi Alliance is not an open source
> organization, so things are developed internally amongst the OSGi members,
> and you have to be an OSGi member in order to have any saying (we'll you
> can always raise issues but you have no saying, really).
>
> My fear is that we'll end up with a trimmed down version of what Karaf
> actually supports (hopefully not without incompatible things) and that we
> will be pressured to support it, and it may lead us to directions we may
> have not pursued otherwise.
>
> For example, blueprint is under specified and we have to work harder in
> order to add things that are outside the standard.  Though, given the OSGi
> Alliance is somewhat abandoning blueprint, I think my next move on this
> area will be to get rid of the standard and just use an aries specific
> schema instead (enhanced, but without having to use a difference schema for
> the extensions).
>
> But I hope I'll be proved wrong.
>

>> François
>>

>> Le 09/04/2018 à 13:35, Guillaume Nodet a écrit :
>>> I was not in any way aware of this RFP and I'm not part of the process,
>> but
>>> this looks really inspired from Karaf Features at least.
>>> The author, David B. is a Karaf committer, so he may be able to comment
>> on
>>> what he has in mind.
>>>
>>> Having said that, I'm not so sure it's a good thing for Karaf, but we'll
>>> see. Hopefully things will go well this time, but I've already seen
>> several
>>> things go wrong at the OSGi EEG...
>>>
>>> Guillaume

>> and

Re: FYI, OSGi Features RFP

Łukasz Dywicki
Hey David & Christian & Guilliame & Grzegorze
Great to hear that from David, as an insider. It is super cool to have
Christian watching things from karaf side.

I am sending this reply to share my personal view on the past and hope
in future standard.
I rely on our features mechanism since its early days (before graduating
to top level project) and the beauty come from its initial simplicity.
You know in early days it was nothing but a way to install bundles in
runtime. Later we got additional steps such validation, verification,
configuration files and so on, not to mention KAR packaging.
It did work because it did a simple thing and did it right. This is
great success compared to mostly failed efforts of ESA/EBA formats which
didn't (I think) get any adoption beside commercial products.
I'm not sure if eclipse provisioning model is a valid comparision as its
granularity is completely different. Karaf features never worked at
package level while Eclipse P2 is built around requirements and
capabilities model. While it is great way to control everything it is
not that great in mainanance. Felix Resolver which is implementation of
approprieate spec in this area handles that already.
I haven't heard much of P2 besise eclipse plugin ecosystem, its
documentation is lacky and its embedding requires a lot of work (had an
attempt to get it running under Karaf logn time ago). Its super slow
when used for builds - I initially loveld Tycho. These days when I see
it used for non-eclipse plugin projects, and there are still some, I ask
myself what for?

Frankly speaking, the less we can care about requirements and
capabilities, the easier adoption will be. A lot of "bad press" of osgi
comes from huge learning curve, non popular toolkits and Eclipse
ecosystem itself. I haven't made any statistics but I believe that
love-hate relationship from Eclipse gets spread to the OSGi, quite often
without reason. If spec will keep whole thing closer to maven, and it
seems it will, undarstanding of mechanism will be much easier. There
will be no barrier at least at entry level.
In past years I meet no single person who worked in Java and could
understand requirements and capabilities model of P2 (and osgi) from
first touch. Because almost every developer can "speak" maven and its
binaries distribution model it is indeed wise to rely on that.

Grzegorze and Guilliame - Red Hat so you can track specification
development. Not sure how it works now but in the past you just had to
use company mail to request new account. I remember I did it this way
and comment on some things realted to http service while I was working
at RH. I am not sure if RH didn't step from higher level membership
because even my micro company is supporter..

Kind regards,
Lukasz
--
Twitter: @ldywicki