Feature isolation - newbie in Karaf

AnisBH
Good morning,

I have different jars using different versions of Camel (so to say) / jetty
components. The problem I had is that when installing these different
versions as features, I broke the Karaf web console.

Am I missing an option when installing bundles / features that do not
isolate the features from each other or is that a normal/expected behaviour
that I need to handle ?

Thank you for your answer.
Anis

Re: Feature isolation - newbie in Karaf

jbonofre
Hi Anis

If you are using camel features, you have to deal with right version import in your bundles.

If you want I can help you. Don't hesitate to ping me directly.

Thank you for your answer.
Anis

Re: Feature isolation - newbie in Karaf

AnisBH
Sorry I wasn't that clear.

I could reproduce the issue

1/ Download karaf 4.2.6

2/ install web console

3/ feature:install jetty => this will start version 9.x

4/ from the webconsole => try to install jetty 8.x

This will generate an error and break down the web console. It looks like both jetty 9.x and 8.x cannot be started together.

Is there a way to "isolate" somehow the features / components from each other ?
Or maybe certain versions of some components cannot live together ?

Re: Feature isolation - newbie in Karaf

if you check the features repositories, you will see you have different
jetty version.

Just install the right feature you want: feature:install jetty/[9,10)
for instance.

On 28/07/2019 12:46, anis ben hamida wrote:

> Sorry I wasn't that clear.
>
> I could reproduce the issue
>
> 1/ Download karaf 4.2.6
>
> 2/ install web console
>
> 3/ feature:install jetty => this will start version 9.x
>
> 4/ from the webconsole => try to install jetty 8.x
>
> This will generate an error and break down the web console. It looks
> like both jetty 9.x and 8.x cannot be started together.
>
> Is there a way to "isolate" somehow the features / components from each
> other ?
> Or maybe certain versions of some components cannot live together ?
>
> Thanks

Re: Feature isolation - newbie in Karaf

AnisBH
thanks,

My question was: why both versions for jetty features cannot be installed simultaneously ?

Generally speaking: when installing features, is it possible / probable that we break already running services because we introduce some conflicts ?

How can we avoid that ? Is there an option to not "influence" the already running services ?

Kind regards,
Anis

Re: Feature isolation - newbie in Karaf

jbonofre
Theorically for most of features you can install several features versions.

For jetty it's different because pax-web relays on it. Jetty feature is actually provided by pax-web.