Handling legacy libraries in OSGi/Karaf - Karat Meet-up chat questions

Handling legacy libraries in OSGi/Karaf - Karat Meet-up chat questions

Oliver Schweitzer
Hi Serge,

The zoom chat was so ephemeral, I didn’t have a chance to copy your address.

Lest I forget just a few links about your question regarding legacy libraries, if I understood it correctly.

There are people on this list 20x more qualified and experienced than me to pick up this thread, I just had the opportunity in the past to explore this problem extensively because I had to "get stuff working".

https://bnd.bndtools.org/chapters/390-wrapping.html — the spec on how to use bnd (and following from that the bnd-maven-plugin and maven-bundle-plugin) to embed dependencies into Jars and how generate Manifests

https://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/#_wrap_deployer — it’s also possible to use non-bundles in karat (for simple cases)

https://github.com/apache/servicemix-bundles — about your legacy stuff — good chances the servicemix (karaf ancestor) people have wrapped it already for use in OSGi

Service loader stuff is a whole different story, I didn’t have to work with that so often (thankfully):

https://blog.osgi.org/2013/02/javautilserviceloader-in-osgi.html - The Service Loader Mediator motivation

https://osgi.org/specification/osgi.cmpn/7.0.0/service.loader.html - The Spec (one of the best in the industry)

https://aries.apache.org/modules/spi-fly.html — an implementation of the spec I used

Best regards,

Oliver

Re: Handling legacy libraries in OSGi/Karaf - Karat Meet-up chat questions

Maurice Betzel
I did have some stuff regarding this on github.

Aries Spi-Fly and bundeling non Osgi stuff:
https://github.com/Maurice-Betzel/twelvemonkeys-osgi

Even native code can be bundled: https://github.com/Maurice-Betzel/lmdb-osgi

if ( you want ) { you can } else { you can't }

Re: Handling legacy libraries in OSGi/Karaf - Karat Meet-up chat questions

Achim Nierbeck
Hey People,

don't be intimidated by other on this list :)
If you have questions or ideas on answering others, don't hesitate to do so.
TBH, when I was a Karaf noob I just hang out here with a bunch of ideas what needed be improved regarding the web-container.
So someone told me to just do it. AFAIRC that's been JB and Guillaume :)
I would love to see a vibrant community on this list again, so there is no question not worth to be asked and no answer to simple to be said.

take care, Achim

P.S. was lot's of fun today, thanks to all that participated

Am Do., 30. Apr. 2020 um 21:13 Uhr schrieb Maurice Betzel <[hidden email]>:
I did have some stuff regarding this on github.

Aries Spi-Fly and bundeling non Osgi stuff:
https://github.com/Maurice-Betzel/twelvemonkeys-osgi

Even native code can be bundled: https://github.com/Maurice-Betzel/lmdb-osgi

Apache Member
OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/> Committer & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Handling legacy libraries in OSGi/Karaf - Karat Meet-up chat questions

fpapon
Yes!

I'm joining Achim, community is very important for the project, don't hesitate to share proposals and ideas :)
Every questions and feedbacks are welcome, this how we can improve Apache Karaf and make it great for the users!

PS: kudo to JB and Achim for the organization, it was perfect!

regards,
François
[hidden email]
Le 30/04/2020 à 21:25, Achim Nierbeck a écrit :
[...]

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: Handling legacy libraries in OSGi/Karaf - Karat Meet-up chat questions

Paul Fraser
Hi,

Thanks to all involved with the Zoom meetup.

Getting up at 1am (AU time) for a 2am meeting to stare at a computer for 2 hours was a stretch but well worth the effort.

The 90% improvement in cost by Netflix when using Karaf was an outstanding fact presented.

Paul Fraser

On 1/05/2020 6:27 am, Francois Papon wrote:
[...]

Thanks for taking that "burden" on getting up in the middle of the night.
Great to have so many people from all over the world in the meetup.
One thing I know for sure, the next meetup will also contain a "virtual" part.
I'm really eager on testing how it works out to combine being present and being virtual.

regards, Achim