How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

dantran
Hello,

I am able to install my snaphot features from my company maven
repository.  When there is new snapshot on my repo,
features:refreshUrl is able to identify the latest snapshot
..-features.xml ( via latest timestamp file ), however after that
nothing happens.  I am expecting all my SNAPSHOT bundles belong to my
features.xml to get downloaded and restart.

is this a bug?

-Dan

Re: How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

Guillaume Nodet
First refreshUrl only reload the features descriptors.  It doesn't
update the features.  We've added the dev:watch command in karaf 2.2.0
which can automatically update bundles if newer snapshots are
available in your local repo.   I guess the problem is to detect when
snapshots have actually changed, but I suppose it could be done by
looking at the maven metadata.
Though it might be a bit more costly than checking the local file
system as this would need several http requests for each snapshot, so
a sufficient delay should be used between polls.

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

Guillaume Nodet
I'll experiment to see if it is possible to find if the snapshot has changed.
Could you please raise a JIRA issue for that ?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 17:27, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First refreshUrl only reload the features descriptors.  It doesn't
> update the features.  We've added the dev:watch command in karaf 2.2.0
> which can automatically update bundles if newer snapshots are
> available in your local repo.   I guess the problem is to detect when
> snapshots have actually changed, but I suppose it could be done by
> looking at the maven metadata.
> Though it might be a bit more costly than checking the local file
> system as this would need several http requests for each snapshot, so
> a sufficient delay should be used between polls.
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 17:12, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am able to install my snaphot features from my company maven
>> repository.  When there is new snapshot on my repo,
>> features:refreshUrl is able to identify the latest snapshot
>> ..-features.xml ( via latest timestamp file ), however after that
>> nothing happens.  I am expecting all my SNAPSHOT bundles belong to my
>> features.xml to get downloaded and restart.
>>
>> is this a bug?
>>
>> -Dan
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

mikevan
Guillaume Nodet wrote

I think the dev:watch command is a great idea.  However, I can see how it could possibly introduce problems if left on, or forgotten about by the developer.  Perhaps as part of adding the new functionality to automatically update snapshots when they are refreshed in the maven repository, you could send something to the console to indicate an automatic update is being performed?

Re: How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

Guillaume Nodet
The dev:watch is not persistent across restarts and each time a bundle
is updated, the following message appear in the main console:
  [Watch] Updating watched bundle: symbolicname (version)

Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

http://fusesource.com
Awesome. I'll check that out!

Re: How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

dantran
filed at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-524

I also notice that, thru TRACE logger, I can see for each
features:refreshUrl, Karaf makes several attempts to refresh ( it
reaching out to all configured maven repositories ). Is it another
bug?

Thanks

-Dan

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM, karafman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> I'll experiment to see if it is possible to find if the snapshot has
>> changed.
>> Could you please raise a JIRA issue for that ?
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 17:27, Guillaume Nodet &lt;[hidden email]&gt;
>> wrote:
>>> First refreshUrl only reload the features descriptors.  It doesn't
>>> update the features.  We've added the dev:watch command in karaf 2.2.0
>>> which can automatically update bundles if newer snapshots are
>>> available in your local repo.   I guess the problem is to detect when
>>> snapshots have actually changed, but I suppose it could be done by
>>> looking at the maven metadata.
>>> Though it might be a bit more costly than checking the local file
>>> system as this would need several http requests for each snapshot, so
>>> a sufficient delay should be used between polls.

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet
>> ------------------------
>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>> ------------------------
>> Open Source SOA
>> http://fusesource.com
>>

> Guillaume,
>
> I think the dev:watch command is a great idea.  However, I can see how it
> could possibly introduce problems if left on, or forgotten about by the
> developer.  Perhaps as part of adding the new functionality to automatically
> update snapshots when they are refreshed in the maven repository, you could
> send something to the console to indicate an automatic update is being
> performed?
>
> -----
> Karafman
> Slayer of the JEE
> Pounder of the Perl Programmer

Re: How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

mikevan
dantran wrote

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM, karafman <mvangeertruy@comcast.net> wrote:

> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> I'll experiment to see if it is possible to find if the snapshot has
>> changed.
>> Could you please raise a JIRA issue for that ?
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 17:27, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> First refreshUrl only reload the features descriptors.  It doesn't
>>> update the features.  We've added the dev:watch command in karaf 2.2.0
>>> which can automatically update bundles if newer snapshots are
>>> available in your local repo.   I guess the problem is to detect when
>>> snapshots have actually changed, but I suppose it could be done by
>>> looking at the maven metadata.
>>> Though it might be a bit more costly than checking the local file
>>> system as this would need several http requests for each snapshot, so
>>> a sufficient delay should be used between polls.

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet
>> ------------------------
>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>> ------------------------
>> Open Source SOA
>> http://fusesource.com
>>

> Guillaume,
>
> I think the dev:watch command is a great idea.  However, I can see how it
> could possibly introduce problems if left on, or forgotten about by the
> developer.  Perhaps as part of adding the new functionality to automatically
> update snapshots when they are refreshed in the maven repository, you could
> send something to the console to indicate an automatic update is being
> performed?
>
> -----
> Karafman
> Slayer of the JEE
> Pounder of the Perl Programmer

Dan,

This may be a result of how you are provisioning.  Basically, when Karaf deploys a feature, if any bundles within that feature already exist inside of Karaf, it will refresh them.  It does this to ensure all the appropriate wiring from that dependent bundle take place. Additionally, if a feature fails to deploy, Karaf will uninstall that entire feature, and perform refreshes on bundles that are affected.

So, in short, to answer your question, no this is not a bug.  It is working as it should.

Re: How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

dantran
In my case, i see Karaf repeats several times thru the my set of
pre-configured repos.

One should be good enough right?

-D

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM, karafman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> dantran wrote:
>>
>> filed at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-524
>>

>> I also notice that, thru TRACE logger, I can see for each
>> features:refreshUrl, Karaf makes several attempts to refresh ( it
>> reaching out to all configured maven repositories ). Is it another
>> bug?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -Dan
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM, karafman &lt;[hidden email]&gt;
>> wrote:

>>> Guillaume,
>>>
>>> I think the dev:watch command is a great idea.  However, I can see how it
>>> could possibly introduce problems if left on, or forgotten about by the
>>> developer.  Perhaps as part of adding the new functionality to
>>> automatically
>>> update snapshots when they are refreshed in the maven repository, you
>>> could
>>> send something to the console to indicate an automatic update is being
>>> performed?
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Karafman
>>> Slayer of the JEE
>>> Pounder of the Perl Programmer
>>>
>>> --
>>>

> Dan,
>
> This may be a result of how you are provisioning.  Basically, when Karaf
> deploys a feature, if any bundles within that feature already exist inside
> of Karaf, it will refresh them.  It does this to ensure all the appropriate
> wiring from that dependent bundle take place. Additionally, if a feature
> fails to deploy, Karaf will uninstall that entire feature, and perform
> refreshes on bundles that are affected.
>
> So, in short, to answer your question, no this is not a bug.  It is working
> as it should.
>
> -----
> Karafman
> Slayer of the JEE
> Pounder of the Perl Programmer

Re: How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

Guillaume Nodet
For each mvn url, the mvn url handler will try to look the artifact on a repo.
However, for a snapshot or a version range, it needs to look at all
the repositories to find the one with the latest or highest version.

Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: How does features:refreshUrl handles snapshot

dantran
let me throw my trace in here, to makesure it makes sense to the experts.

The trace Karaf scans many times for each repo in my config list

sorry about the noise

-Dan

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For each mvn url, the mvn url handler will try to look the artifact on a repo.
> However, for a snapshot or a version range, it needs to look at all
> the repositories to find the one with the latest or highest version.
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 19:05, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In my case, i see Karaf repeats several times thru the my set of
>> pre-configured repos.
>>
>> One should be good enough right?
>>
>> -D

>>> Dan,
>>>
>>> This may be a result of how you are provisioning.  Basically, when Karaf
>>> deploys a feature, if any bundles within that feature already exist inside
>>> of Karaf, it will refresh them.  It does this to ensure all the appropriate
>>> wiring from that dependent bundle take place. Additionally, if a feature
>>> fails to deploy, Karaf will uninstall that entire feature, and perform
>>> refreshes on bundles that are affected.
>>>
>>> So, in short, to answer your question, no this is not a bug.  It is working
>>> as it should.
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Karafman
>>> Slayer of the JEE
>>> Pounder of the Perl Programmer
>>>
>>> --

> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

refreshurl.log (128K) Download Attachment