How important are jna-*.jar and jna-platform-*.jar for karaf boot?

How important are jna-*.jar and jna-platform-*.jar for karaf boot?

Steinar Bang
I'm working on improving my karaf debian package
 https://github.com/steinarb/karaf-debian

I'm packaging karaf 4.1.4.

Currently I'm trying to eliminate the jars that aren't built from source
code in the karaf 4.1.4 source tar-ball (that's a requirement for
becoming an official debian package. Non-built jars can be used at
runtime.  This means that there are two possibilities: get the jars from
a debian package (preferred), and if that's not possible: download the
jars from maven central during installation)

In the lib/boot/ directory, the "foreign" jars were:
  -rw-r--r-- 1 sb sb 1440500 Dec 15 20:14 jna-4.5.0.jar
  -rw-r--r-- 1 sb sb 2324986 Dec 15 20:14 jna-platform-4.5.0.jar
  -rw-r--r-- 1 sb sb  475256 Dec 15 20:14 org.osgi.core-6.0.0.jar

The plan was to:
 - Remove the files from lib/boot/
 - Add debian package dependencies for the equivalent debian packages
   (libosgi-core-java, libjna-java, libjna-platform-java)
 - Add symlinks in lib/boot/ to the jar files installed by the debian
   packages

With osgi core, everything went as expected:
 https://github.com/steinarb/karaf-debian/commit/d6e940d704c9a68910acde47be148c440bac260d

With the jna-*.jar files removed I had the interesting observation that
karaf booted fine without them and I was able to install one of my own
karaf applications.

So my questions are: was it expected that I would be able to boot
without these jar files?  When would one run into problems with missing
jna-*.jar? When would one run into problems with the wrong version of
the jna-*.jar files? (debian stable currently has jna-4.2.2.jar and
testing and unstable has jna-4.5.1.jar)

Re: How important are jna-*.jar and jna-platform-*.jar for karaf boot?

jbonofre
Hi Steinar,

they are only required if you use watchdog: not used for the core.

In your case, assuming you don't use watchdog, you don't need JNA.