Quantcast

Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
Hi,

What is the purpose of the archive kar that we can deploy now on Karaf
? Benefits ?

Regards,

Charles Moulliard

Sr. Principal Solution Architect - FuseSource
Apache Committer

Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
Skype: cmoulliard
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

adrian.trenaman
The purpose of the Kar file is to facilitate easy packaging and
deployment of Karaf features. A feature can have its own bundles *and*
all its dependencies placed in a Kar; then, when the Kar archive file
is dropped into a deploy directory, the bundles are extracted to the
local drive in a psuedo-Maven directory structure, and any features
files therein are automatically registered in the runtime. This makes
deployment of Karaf solutions easier, particularly when on production
machines where Maven resolution is not possible.

On 24/01/2011, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the purpose of the archive kar that we can deploy now on Karaf
> ? Benefits ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles Moulliard
>
> Sr. Principal Solution Architect - FuseSource
> Apache Committer
>
> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
> Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
> Skype: cmoulliard

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
Is it similar to eba archive of Aries ?

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Adrian Trenaman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The purpose of the Kar file is to facilitate easy packaging and
> deployment of Karaf features. A feature can have its own bundles *and*
> all its dependencies placed in a Kar; then, when the Kar archive file
> is dropped into a deploy directory, the bundles are extracted to the
> local drive in a psuedo-Maven directory structure, and any features
> files therein are automatically registered in the runtime. This makes
> deployment of Karaf solutions easier, particularly when on production
> machines where Maven resolution is not possible.
>
> On 24/01/2011, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the purpose of the archive kar that we can deploy now on Karaf
>> ? Benefits ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Charles Moulliard
>>
>> Sr. Principal Solution Architect - FuseSource
>> Apache Committer
>>
>> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
>> Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
>> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
>> Skype: cmoulliard

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Guillaume Nodet
Yes, kars are for features what eba are for aries applications.
Though David Jencks is currently doing a lot of work in this area to
have a nice maven integration for kars, so that building a karaf
distribution will be done done in a very simply way by referencing
kars as maven dependencies and kars will be created as a maven
packaging along with features.

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
So the kar will contain a xml features file and during the deployment
process deploy all the features defined in the file ?
What will appear in the list of bundles --> the list of bundles
deployed according to features xml file or the bundle corresponding to
the features file ? Will it be possible to update the kar archive and
so update bundles defined in the features list ?

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, kars are for features what eba are for aries applications.
> Though David Jencks is currently doing a lot of work in this area to
> have a nice maven integration for kars, so that building a karaf
> distribution will be done done in a very simply way by referencing
> kars as maven dependencies and kars will be created as a maven
> packaging along with features.
>
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 16:46, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is it similar to eba archive of Aries ?
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Adrian Trenaman
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The purpose of the Kar file is to facilitate easy packaging and
>>> deployment of Karaf features. A feature can have its own bundles *and*
>>> all its dependencies placed in a Kar; then, when the Kar archive file
>>> is dropped into a deploy directory, the bundles are extracted to the
>>> local drive in a psuedo-Maven directory structure, and any features
>>> files therein are automatically registered in the runtime. This makes
>>> deployment of Karaf solutions easier, particularly when on production
>>> machines where Maven resolution is not possible.

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Andreas Pieber
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So the kar will contain a xml features file and during the deployment
> process deploy all the features defined in the file ?

Yes, all the feature xml files in the kar (zip) file

> What will appear in the list of bundles --> the list of bundles
> deployed according to features xml file or the bundle corresponding to
> the features file ?

It is exactly like if you copy a number of .jar files into the "local"
system repo of karaf, and add the features.xml by using
features:addurl

> Will it be possible to update the kar archive and so update bundles defined in the features list ?

By the moment indirectly; again: it's similar as if you unpack a new
version: all packages with the same version (name) are overwritten;
those with a different version added in addition. Features.xml in a
new version will be added again letting you to update --> no automatic
update here by the moment

kind regards,
andreas

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes, kars are for features what eba are for aries applications.
>> Though David Jencks is currently doing a lot of work in this area to
>> have a nice maven integration for kars, so that building a karaf
>> distribution will be done done in a very simply way by referencing
>> kars as maven dependencies and kars will be created as a maven
>> packaging along with features.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 16:46, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Is it similar to eba archive of Aries ?

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet
>> ------------------------
>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>> ------------------------
>> Open Source SOA
>> http://fusesource.com

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
Hi Ade,

From what I read in the next post of my email, kar only includes
features xml file(s) and no bundles. To deploy an archive containing
bundles we should use eba archive of project Aries.

Regards,

Charles

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The purpose of the Kar file is to facilitate easy packaging and
> deployment of Karaf features. A feature can have its own bundles *and*
> all its dependencies placed in a Kar; then, when the Kar archive file
> is dropped into a deploy directory, the bundles are extracted to the
> local drive in a psuedo-Maven directory structure, and any features
> files therein are automatically registered in the runtime. This makes
> deployment of Karaf solutions easier, particularly when on production
> machines where Maven resolution is not possible.
>
> On 24/01/2011, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the purpose of the archive kar that we can deploy now on Karaf
>> ? Benefits ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Charles Moulliard
>>
>> Sr. Principal Solution Architect - FuseSource
>> Apache Committer
>>
>> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
>> Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
>> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
>> Skype: cmoulliard

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

adrian.trenaman
Hi Charles!

The Karaf file *does* include bundles - it's really a collection of
features descriptors and bundles that can be deployed together easily.

I think the idea will be to pursue a standards based approach (perhaps
based on Aries EBA and Karaf features) in the future!

Best,
Ade.

On 26/01/2011 12:41, Charles Moulliard wrote:

> Hi Ade,
>
>  From what I read in the next post of my email, kar only includes
> features xml file(s) and no bundles. To deploy an archive containing
> bundles we should use eba archive of project Aries.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles
>
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Adrian Trenaman
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> The purpose of the Kar file is to facilitate easy packaging and
>> deployment of Karaf features. A feature can have its own bundles *and*
>> all its dependencies placed in a Kar; then, when the Kar archive file
>> is dropped into a deploy directory, the bundles are extracted to the
>> local drive in a psuedo-Maven directory structure, and any features
>> files therein are automatically registered in the runtime. This makes
>> deployment of Karaf solutions easier, particularly when on production
>> machines where Maven resolution is not possible.
>>
>> On 24/01/2011, Charles Moulliard<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What is the purpose of the archive kar that we can deploy now on Karaf
>>> ? Benefits ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Charles Moulliard
>>>
>>> Sr. Principal Solution Architect - FuseSource
>>> Apache Committer
>>>
>>> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
>>> Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
>>> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
>>> Skype: cmoulliard

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
ok.

So what do you put in the KAR archive, all the bundles required by
your project + features describing your project bundles to be deployed
and their <features> dependencies with by example camel-jms,
hibernate, mysql-driver, ... ?

Do we have a maven plugin to generate the KAR archive like we have
with Aries EBA ?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Adrian Trenaman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Charles!
>
> The Karaf file *does* include bundles - it's really a collection of features
> descriptors and bundles that can be deployed together easily.
>
> I think the idea will be to pursue a standards based approach (perhaps based
> on Aries EBA and Karaf features) in the future!
>
> Best,
> Ade.
>
> On 26/01/2011 12:41, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ade,
>>
>>  From what I read in the next post of my email, kar only includes
>> features xml file(s) and no bundles. To deploy an archive containing
>> bundles we should use eba archive of project Aries.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Charles
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Adrian Trenaman
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The purpose of the Kar file is to facilitate easy packaging and
>>> deployment of Karaf features. A feature can have its own bundles *and*
>>> all its dependencies placed in a Kar; then, when the Kar archive file
>>> is dropped into a deploy directory, the bundles are extracted to the
>>> local drive in a psuedo-Maven directory structure, and any features
>>> files therein are automatically registered in the runtime. This makes
>>> deployment of Karaf solutions easier, particularly when on production
>>> machines where Maven resolution is not possible.

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

adrian.trenaman
Answers inline!

On 26/01/2011 13:51, Charles Moulliard wrote:
> ok.
>
> So what do you put in the KAR archive, all the bundles required by
> your project + features describing your project bundles to be deployed
> and their<features>  dependencies with by example camel-jms,
> hibernate, mysql-driver, ... ?
Yup! Your application, and all of it's bundle dependencies, can be
packaged into the KAR.
> Do we have a maven plugin to generate the KAR archive like we have
> with Aries EBA ?

I have a JIRA open to make a nice maven plugin to do this - for now
though, we have to live with using a selection of existing Maven plugins
to achieve our goal - much as how we currently package Karaf /
ServiceMix using the features file to pull down all the dependencies for
the system/ folder before Zipping them up as either .tar.gz or .zip.

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Adrian Trenaman
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi Charles!
>>
>> The Karaf file *does* include bundles - it's really a collection of features
>> descriptors and bundles that can be deployed together easily.
>>
>> I think the idea will be to pursue a standards based approach (perhaps based
>> on Aries EBA and Karaf features) in the future!
>>
>> Best,
>> Ade.
>>
>> On 26/01/2011 12:41, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>>> Hi Ade,
>>>
>>>   From what I read in the next post of my email, kar only includes
>>> features xml file(s) and no bundles. To deploy an archive containing
>>> bundles we should use eba archive of project Aries.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Charles

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

jbonofre
Hi guys,

regarding the maven plugin, I'm gonna refactore the existing plugins to
create a generic karaf one and extend goal.

I should be able to work on that on saturday.

On 01/26/2011 02:57 PM, Adrian Trenaman wrote:

> Answers inline!
>
> On 26/01/2011 13:51, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>> ok.
>>
>> So what do you put in the KAR archive, all the bundles required by
>> your project + features describing your project bundles to be deployed
>> and their<features> dependencies with by example camel-jms,
>> hibernate, mysql-driver, ... ?
> Yup! Your application, and all of it's bundle dependencies, can be
> packaged into the KAR.
>> Do we have a maven plugin to generate the KAR archive like we have
>> with Aries EBA ?
>>
> I have a JIRA open to make a nice maven plugin to do this - for now
> though, we have to live with using a selection of existing Maven plugins
> to achieve our goal - much as how we currently package Karaf /
> ServiceMix using the features file to pull down all the dependencies for
> the system/ folder before Zipping them up as either .tar.gz or .zip.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Adrian Trenaman
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Charles!
>>>
>>> The Karaf file *does* include bundles - it's really a collection of
>>> features
>>> descriptors and bundles that can be deployed together easily.
>>>
>>> I think the idea will be to pursue a standards based approach
>>> (perhaps based
>>> on Aries EBA and Karaf features) in the future!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Ade.

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Adrian Trenaman-2
Nice one JB!

> Hi guys,
>
> regarding the maven plugin, I'm gonna refactore the existing plugins to
> create a generic karaf one and extend goal.
>
> I should be able to work on that on saturday.

> On 01/26/2011 02:57 PM, Adrian Trenaman wrote:
>> Answers inline!
>>
>> On 26/01/2011 13:51, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>>> ok.
>>>
>>> So what do you put in the KAR archive, all the bundles required by
>>> your project + features describing your project bundles to be deployed
>>> and their<features>  dependencies with by example camel-jms,
>>> hibernate, mysql-driver, ... ?
>> Yup! Your application, and all of it's bundle dependencies, can be
>> packaged into the KAR.
>>> Do we have a maven plugin to generate the KAR archive like we have
>>> with Aries EBA ?
>>>
>> I have a JIRA open to make a nice maven plugin to do this - for now
>> though, we have to live with using a selection of existing Maven plugins
>> to achieve our goal - much as how we currently package Karaf /
>> ServiceMix using the features file to pull down all the dependencies for
>> the system/ folder before Zipping them up as either .tar.gz or .zip.

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
The missing piece that we have concern updating mechanism if I provide
a new KAR archive, the already deployed bundles will not be updated. I
think that this is possible right now with EBA archive.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Adrian Trenaman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Answers inline!
>
> On 26/01/2011 13:51, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>>
>> ok.
>>
>> So what do you put in the KAR archive, all the bundles required by
>> your project + features describing your project bundles to be deployed
>> and their<features>  dependencies with by example camel-jms,
>> hibernate, mysql-driver, ... ?
>
> Yup! Your application, and all of it's bundle dependencies, can be packaged
> into the KAR.
>>
>> Do we have a maven plugin to generate the KAR archive like we have
>> with Aries EBA ?
>>
> I have a JIRA open to make a nice maven plugin to do this - for now though,
> we have to live with using a selection of existing Maven plugins to achieve
> our goal - much as how we currently package Karaf / ServiceMix using the
> features file to pull down all the dependencies for the system/ folder
> before Zipping them up as either .tar.gz or .zip.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Adrian Trenaman
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Charles!
>>>
>>> The Karaf file *does* include bundles - it's really a collection of
>>> features
>>> descriptors and bundles that can be deployed together easily.
>>>
>>> I think the idea will be to pursue a standards based approach (perhaps
>>> based
>>> on Aries EBA and Karaf features) in the future!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Ade.

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Adrian Trenaman-2
Hmmmm.

If you deploy a new KAR, then the existing bundles *shouldn't* be
updated if they're already deployed, IMHO. They should only be deployed
if they are a new version of the bundle. Am thinking that in production,
bundles with the same version should be identical, no? We shouldn't
allow sneaky updates under the version number - or should we?!

On 26/01/2011 14:27, Charles Moulliard wrote:

> The missing piece that we have concern updating mechanism if I provide
> a new KAR archive, the already deployed bundles will not be updated. I
> think that this is possible right now with EBA archive.
>
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Adrian Trenaman
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Answers inline!
>>
>> On 26/01/2011 13:51, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>>> ok.
>>>
>>> So what do you put in the KAR archive, all the bundles required by
>>> your project + features describing your project bundles to be deployed
>>> and their<features>    dependencies with by example camel-jms,
>>> hibernate, mysql-driver, ... ?
>> Yup! Your application, and all of it's bundle dependencies, can be packaged
>> into the KAR.
>>> Do we have a maven plugin to generate the KAR archive like we have
>>> with Aries EBA ?
>>>
>> I have a JIRA open to make a nice maven plugin to do this - for now though,
>> we have to live with using a selection of existing Maven plugins to achieve
>> our goal - much as how we currently package Karaf / ServiceMix using the
>> features file to pull down all the dependencies for the system/ folder
>> before Zipping them up as either .tar.gz or .zip.

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
Here is my two pence (deux centimes in French) idea.
If we provide a new KAR archive containing bundles already installed,
then we should update automatically bundles no matter what is the
version number of the bundle. This philosophy is similar to what we
have when deploying WAR or EAR projects

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Adrian Trenaman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm.
>
> If you deploy a new KAR, then the existing bundles *shouldn't* be updated if
> they're already deployed, IMHO. They should only be deployed if they are a
> new version of the bundle. Am thinking that in production, bundles with the
> same version should be identical, no? We shouldn't allow sneaky updates
> under the version number - or should we?!
>
> On 26/01/2011 14:27, Charles Moulliard wrote:
>>
>> The missing piece that we have concern updating mechanism if I provide
>> a new KAR archive, the already deployed bundles will not be updated. I
>> think that this is possible right now with EBA archive.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Adrian Trenaman
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Answers inline!

>>> Yup! Your application, and all of it's bundle dependencies, can be
>>> packaged
>>> into the KAR.

>>> I have a JIRA open to make a nice maven plugin to do this - for now
>>> though,
>>> we have to live with using a selection of existing Maven plugins to
>>> achieve
>>> our goal - much as how we currently package Karaf / ServiceMix using the
>>> features file to pull down all the dependencies for the system/ folder
>>> before Zipping them up as either .tar.gz or .zip.

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

jbonofre
Not sure of that :)

It depends what we stand for feature update.
I'm working on ACE around Karaf feature update and lifecycle. I think
that we need to dig on that, feel free to complete the brainstorming
wiki page :)