Is there a karaf BOM?

Steinar Bang
Is there a karaf BOM that can be imported into <dependencyManagement> to
set versions of of maven dependencies to the same version as used by the
karaf version I'm currently targeting?

I googled a bit for it and found this thread from 2012 suggesting using
the karaf parent POM as a BOM.  Is this still the recommended approach?
 http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Karaf-should-provide-a-maven-BOM-td4020772.html

I have been using karaf since the autumn of 2016 and I suddenly was
struck by the thought that I haven't updated many of my build
dependencies for a very long time, and some of the depedencies have been
lagging a lot.

Things have just been working, so I haven't given it a thought.

If I could bump all of the karaf-related dependencies (i.e. pax-web,
pax-jdbc and more) by just bumping the karaf version number, that would
simplify POM maintenance for me.

Thanks!

- Steinar

Re: Is there a karaf BOM?

jbonofre
Hi Steinar,

For people creating their own distribution, the features dependencies can be seen as a BOM (even if it’s a regular pom).

However, generally speaking, I think it would be a good idea to provide a BOM (like "karaf-bom"): it would be simplify the way of "aligning" and upgrading dependency versions.

I will create a Jira and move forward on this.

> Le 28 mars 2020 à 07:59, Steinar Bang <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Is there a karaf BOM that can be imported into <dependencyManagement> to
> set versions of of maven dependencies to the same version as used by the
> karaf version I'm currently targeting?
>
> I googled a bit for it and found this thread from 2012 suggesting using
> the karaf parent POM as a BOM.  Is this still the recommended approach?
> http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Karaf-should-provide-a-maven-BOM-td4020772.html
>
> I have been using karaf since the autumn of 2016 and I suddenly was
> struck by the thought that I haven't updated many of my build
> dependencies for a very long time, and some of the depedencies have been
> lagging a lot.
>
> Things have just been working, so I haven't given it a thought.
>
> If I could bump all of the karaf-related dependencies (i.e. pax-web,
> pax-jdbc and more) by just bumping the karaf version number, that would
> simplify POM maintenance for me.
>
> Thanks!
>

> - Steinar

Re: Is there a karaf BOM?

Steinar Bang

> Hi Steinar,
> For people creating their own distribution, the features dependencies can be seen as a BOM (even if it’s a regular pom).

> However, generally speaking, I think it would be a good idea to provide a BOM (like "karaf-bom"): it would be simplify the way of "aligning" and upgrading dependency versions.

> I will create a Jira and move forward on this.

Great, JB! Thanks! :-)

(If it'll be in 4.2.9 I can become an early adopter...?)

Re: Is there a karaf BOM?

jbonofre
Deal for 4.2.9 ;) The effort is low, I can do that very quickly.

>> Hi Steinar,
>> For people creating their own distribution, the features dependencies can be seen as a BOM (even if it’s a regular pom).
>
>> However, generally speaking, I think it would be a good idea to provide a BOM (like "karaf-bom"): it would be simplify the way of "aligning" and upgrading dependency versions.
>
>> I will create a Jira and move forward on this.
>
> Great, JB! Thanks! :-)
>
> (If it'll be in 4.2.9 I can become an early adopter...?)

Re: Is there a karaf BOM?

Steinar Bang

> Deal for 4.2.9 ;) The effort is low, I can do that very quickly.

Thanks! :-)