JMX startup hangs when linux firewall is active ( ie iptables )

JMX startup hangs when linux firewall is active ( ie iptables )

dantran
Hi

On my linux ( Centos 5.5+ ),  karaf management hangs on start up ( up
to 5minutes ) when iptables firewall is enable.  Karaf does throw
connection timeout exception to stdout complaining about not able to
bind to jmx port.

While in this state, shell command does work  ( like ld , features, etc )

is it the expect behavior, or is it better to bail out quick?

Thanks

-Dan

Re: JMX startup hangs when linux firewall is active ( ie iptables )

Andreas Pieber
at least this is something I expect to run assync. Can you please create an issue for this problem?

Thanks and kind regards,
Andreas

-Dan

Re: JMX startup hangs when linux firewall is active ( ie iptables )

dantran
correction, while in the hanging stage, shell commands are not working

I will file a issue.

So you expect  the connection issue, should not hang karaf ?

-D

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Andreas Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> at least this is something I expect to run assync. Can you please create an
> issue for this problem?
>
> Thanks and kind regards,
> Andreas
>

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 08:26, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On my linux ( Centos 5.5+ ),  karaf management hangs on start up ( up
>> to 5minutes ) when iptables firewall is enable.  Karaf does throw
>> connection timeout exception to stdout complaining about not able to
>> bind to jmx port.
>>
>> While in this state, shell command does work  ( like ld , features, etc )
>>
>> is it the expect behavior, or is it better to bail out quick?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -Dan

Re: JMX startup hangs when linux firewall is active ( ie iptables )

Andreas Pieber
Hey Dan,

Sorry, I've missread you're first mail. I've read that commands "doesn't work" instead of "does work" -.- Nevermind, they should NOT hang. If they do we have a bug.

@Timeout: The "problem" are the iptables. If the port is simply used a connection is refused. IPTables are a little bit more tricky here since they accept the conection but timeout during the communication (to hide which ports are really opened and which not). Well, IMHO we should wait at least the longest realistic time for a real jmx to answer. Question is: how long is realistic here :-)

Kind regards,
Andreas