Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

jgoodyear
Hi All,

Development since our last release has been proceeding at a brisk
pace. Karaf 2.2.0 is on track to contain 11 bug fixes, 28
improvements, and 7 new features! As such, I believe that we should
begin the discussion of when we would like to cut our next release.
When we've determined what we'd like to include, and have a release
week chosen, I'd be happy to volunteer for the release management
process again.

Cheers,
Jamie

http://icodebythesea.blogspot.com/

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Andreas Pieber
Mhm, just curious but y do you jump from 2.0.0 to 2.2.0?

Kind regards,
Andreas

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 11:24:22AM -0230, Jamie G. wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Development since our last release has been proceeding at a brisk
> pace. Karaf 2.2.0 is on track to contain 11 bug fixes, 28
> improvements, and 7 new features! As such, I believe that we should
> begin the discussion of when we would like to cut our next release.
> When we've determined what we'd like to include, and have a release
> week chosen, I'd be happy to volunteer for the release management
> process again.
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> http://icodebythesea.blogspot.com/

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Guillaume Nodet
We used to do that inside the Felix TLP, mostly because of the OSGi versioning.
In OSGi,
  2.0.0 < 2.1.0 < 2.1.0-SNAPSHOT
This was a rule in Felix, but I agree we could come back to a more
natural versioning and go for 2.1.0
I have never really seen a case where this was actually a problem,
especially if the snapshots are called 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT for example.

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

jgoodyear
I have no objections to changing things to version 2.1.0 either, as
long as it doesn't cause any technical issues as we were trying to
avoid beforehand at Felix.

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 4:10 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We used to do that inside the Felix TLP, mostly because of the OSGi versioning.
> In OSGi,
>  2.0.0 < 2.1.0 < 2.1.0-SNAPSHOT
> This was a rule in Felix, but I agree we could come back to a more
> natural versioning and go for 2.1.0
> I have never really seen a case where this was actually a problem,
> especially if the snapshots are called 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT for example.
>
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 02:00, Andreas Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Mhm, just curious but y do you jump from 2.0.0 to 2.2.0?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Andreas
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 11:24:22AM -0230, Jamie G. wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Development since our last release has been proceeding at a brisk
>>> pace. Karaf 2.2.0 is on track to contain 11 bug fixes, 28
>>> improvements, and 7 new features! As such, I believe that we should
>>> begin the discussion of when we would like to cut our next release.
>>> When we've determined what we'd like to include, and have a release
>>> week chosen, I'd be happy to volunteer for the release management
>>> process again.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jamie
>>>
>>> http://icodebythesea.blogspot.com/
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

+1 to rename the version to 2.1.0. I can raise a jira about that if all
are OK.

On 09/05/2010 08:40 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> We used to do that inside the Felix TLP, mostly because of the OSGi versioning.
> In OSGi,
>    2.0.0<  2.1.0<  2.1.0-SNAPSHOT
> This was a rule in Felix, but I agree we could come back to a more
> natural versioning and go for 2.1.0
> I have never really seen a case where this was actually a problem,
> especially if the snapshots are called 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT for example.
>
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 02:00, Andreas Pieber<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Mhm, just curious but y do you jump from 2.0.0 to 2.2.0?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Andreas
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 11:24:22AM -0230, Jamie G. wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Development since our last release has been proceeding at a brisk
>>> pace. Karaf 2.2.0 is on track to contain 11 bug fixes, 28
>>> improvements, and 7 new features! As such, I believe that we should
>>> begin the discussion of when we would like to cut our next release.
>>> When we've determined what we'd like to include, and have a release
>>> week chosen, I'd be happy to volunteer for the release management
>>> process again.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jamie
>>>
>>> http://icodebythesea.blogspot.com/

---------------------------------
  HomePage
http://www.nanthrax.net
---------------------------------
  Contacts
---------------------------------
  OpenSource
BuildProcess/AutoDeploy
http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net
Apache ServiceMix
http://servicemix.apache.org
-----------------------------------
PGP : 17D4F086

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
I prefer 2.1.0 instead of 2.2.0. This is more natural.

Charles

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>wrote:

> +1 to rename the version to 2.1.0. I can raise a jira about that if all are
> OK.

> On 09/05/2010 08:40 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>
>> We used to do that inside the Felix TLP, mostly because of the OSGi
>> versioning.
>> In OSGi,
>>   2.0.0<  2.1.0<  2.1.0-SNAPSHOT
>> This was a rule in Felix, but I agree we could come back to a more
>> natural versioning and go for 2.1.0
>> I have never really seen a case where this was actually a problem,
>> especially if the snapshots are called 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT for example.
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 02:00, Andreas Pieber<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Mhm, just curious but y do you jump from 2.0.0 to 2.2.0?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Andreas

> ---------------------------------
>  HomePage
> http://www.nanthrax.net
> ---------------------------------
>  Contacts
> ---------------------------------
>  OpenSource
> BuildProcess/AutoDeploy
> http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net
> Apache ServiceMix
> http://servicemix.apache.org
> -----------------------------------
> PGP : 17D4F086

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Freeman-2
+1

Freeman

--
Freeman Fang

------------------------
blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/freemanfang
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com
Apache Cxf: http://cxf.apache.org
Apache Karaf: http://karaf.apache.org
Apache Felix: http://felix.apache.org

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Ok, so I've renamed the version in JIRA to 2.1.0

Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

jgoodyear
Thanks for renaming the version in JIRA Guillaume.

So the next order of business here should be to review the 2.1.0
entries and see which we think can make it into 2.1.0 and which others
can be pushed to 2.2.0. I'd like to cut a release of Karaf in the near
future.

Cheers,
Jamie

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, so I've renamed the version in JIRA to 2.1.0
>
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 08:40, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We used to do that inside the Felix TLP, mostly because of the OSGi versioning.
>> In OSGi,
>>  2.0.0 < 2.1.0 < 2.1.0-SNAPSHOT
>> This was a rule in Felix, but I agree we could come back to a more
>> natural versioning and go for 2.1.0
>> I have never really seen a case where this was actually a problem,
>> especially if the snapshots are called 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT for example.
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 02:00, Andreas Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Mhm, just curious but y do you jump from 2.0.0 to 2.2.0?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Andreas

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet
>> ------------------------
>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>> ------------------------
>> Open Source SOA
>> http://fusesource.com
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Guillaume Nodet
Agreed, I think we should aim to start the release process end of next
week so that the release could be out the week after.
I'd like to get the KARAF-189 and 190 fixed before, as I think they
are quite important to fix.
Actually I'll have a quick look at all the bugs in JIRA as
improvements and new features can be easily defered to 2.2.0 if
needed.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 20:00, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for renaming the version in JIRA Guillaume.
>
> So the next order of business here should be to review the 2.1.0
> entries and see which we think can make it into 2.1.0 and which others
> can be pushed to 2.2.0. I'd like to cut a release of Karaf in the near
> future.
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ok, so I've renamed the version in JIRA to 2.1.0
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 08:40, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We used to do that inside the Felix TLP, mostly because of the OSGi versioning.
>>> In OSGi,
>>>  2.0.0 < 2.1.0 < 2.1.0-SNAPSHOT
>>> This was a rule in Felix, but I agree we could come back to a more
>>> natural versioning and go for 2.1.0
>>> I have never really seen a case where this was actually a problem,
>>> especially if the snapshots are called 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT for example.

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet
>> ------------------------
>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>> ------------------------
>> Open Source SOA
>> http://fusesource.com

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

on my side, I would like to complete the JAAS work before releasing.

The JAAS enhancement includes:
- adding "cipher" attribute in AbstractKarafLoginModule defining the
default password encryption algorithm.
- adding "util" methods in AbstractKarafLoginModule to encrypt password
(override the password callback)
- update existing login modules to use encrypted password
- update the PropertiesLoginModule to encrypt plain passwords stored in
the etc/users.properties file, prefix encrypted password with {CRYPT}
and store back in etc/users.properties file.

In the same area, I have begun to create an util bundle storing spread
classes and resources such as Properties.

Unfortunately, I have some production issues to fix at work, so I don't
think that I will be able to complete these tasks before sunday evening.

Is it fine for everyone ?
Sorry for the delay :/

On 09/09/2010 08:19 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Agreed, I think we should aim to start the release process end of next
> week so that the release could be out the week after.
> I'd like to get the KARAF-189 and 190 fixed before, as I think they
> are quite important to fix.
> Actually I'll have a quick look at all the bugs in JIRA as
> improvements and new features can be easily defered to 2.2.0 if
> needed.
>
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 20:00, Jamie G.<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Thanks for renaming the version in JIRA Guillaume.
>>
>> So the next order of business here should be to review the 2.1.0
>> entries and see which we think can make it into 2.1.0 and which others
>> can be pushed to 2.2.0. I'd like to cut a release of Karaf in the near
>> future.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jamie
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Guillaume Nodet<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Ok, so I've renamed the version in JIRA to 2.1.0

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Guillaume Nodet
Sounds good to me.  If you need any help, let me know.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 21:10, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on my side, I would like to complete the JAAS work before releasing.
>
> The JAAS enhancement includes:
> - adding "cipher" attribute in AbstractKarafLoginModule defining the default
> password encryption algorithm.
> - adding "util" methods in AbstractKarafLoginModule to encrypt password
> (override the password callback)
> - update existing login modules to use encrypted password
> - update the PropertiesLoginModule to encrypt plain passwords stored in the
> etc/users.properties file, prefix encrypted password with {CRYPT} and store
> back in etc/users.properties file.
>
> In the same area, I have begun to create an util bundle storing spread
> classes and resources such as Properties.
>
> Unfortunately, I have some production issues to fix at work, so I don't
> think that I will be able to complete these tasks before sunday evening.
>
> Is it fine for everyone ?
> Sorry for the delay :/

> On 09/09/2010 08:19 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> Agreed, I think we should aim to start the release process end of next
>> week so that the release could be out the week after.
>> I'd like to get the KARAF-189 and 190 fixed before, as I think they
>> are quite important to fix.
>> Actually I'll have a quick look at all the bugs in JIRA as
>> improvements and new features can be easily defered to 2.2.0 if
>> needed.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 20:00, Jamie G.<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for renaming the version in JIRA Guillaume.
>>>
>>> So the next order of business here should be to review the 2.1.0
>>> entries and see which we think can make it into 2.1.0 and which others
>>> can be pushed to 2.2.0. I'd like to cut a release of Karaf in the near
>>> future.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jamie

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

I made progress on the encryption enchancement in JAAS login module.

I added the encryption interface in the jaas/module bundle and created
an encryption feature which uses jasypt.

The last think to do is to use the encryption service in
AbstractKarafLoginModule when the encryption algorithm is set.

I added a blueprint service reference in jaas/module (I gonna flag this
reference as optional) but I wonder the most elegant way to use this
service reference in the login module (via the abtract). I see two ways:
- inject the service reference in the login module using a
setEncryption() setter in the AbstractKarafLoginModule. To do it, I need
to upgrade the jaas/config bundle to change the <jaas:config/> XSD and
add a encryption setter in <jaas:module/> schema.
- use "old" fashion OSGi service lookup in the AbstractKarafLoginModule
using
bundleContext.getServiceReference("org.apache.karaf.jaas.module.Encryption")
and bundleContext.getService(). In that case I need to add
setBundleContext() in the AbstractKarafLoginModule and blueprint service
reference is not required.

What do you prefer ? Maybe there is another way that you see ?

On 09/09/2010 10:01 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Sounds good to me.  If you need any help, let me know.
>
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 21:10, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on my side, I would like to complete the JAAS work before releasing.
>>
>> The JAAS enhancement includes:
>> - adding "cipher" attribute in AbstractKarafLoginModule defining the default
>> password encryption algorithm.
>> - adding "util" methods in AbstractKarafLoginModule to encrypt password
>> (override the password callback)
>> - update existing login modules to use encrypted password
>> - update the PropertiesLoginModule to encrypt plain passwords stored in the
>> etc/users.properties file, prefix encrypted password with {CRYPT} and store
>> back in etc/users.properties file.
>>
>> In the same area, I have begun to create an util bundle storing spread
>> classes and resources such as Properties.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I have some production issues to fix at work, so I don't
>> think that I will be able to complete these tasks before sunday evening.
>>
>> Is it fine for everyone ?
>> Sorry for the delay :/

>> On 09/09/2010 08:19 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed, I think we should aim to start the release process end of next
>>> week so that the release could be out the week after.
>>> I'd like to get the KARAF-189 and 190 fixed before, as I think they
>>> are quite important to fix.
>>> Actually I'll have a quick look at all the bugs in JIRA as
>>> improvements and new features can be easily defered to 2.2.0 if
>>> needed.

---------------------------------
  HomePage
http://www.nanthrax.net
---------------------------------
  Contacts
---------------------------------
  OpenSource
BuildProcess/AutoDeploy
http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net
Apache ServiceMix
http://servicemix.apache.org
-----------------------------------
PGP : 17D4F086

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Achim Nierbeck
Hi All,

I'm not quite sure if it fits this thread but currently I'm working on the pax-web bundles because there is some issue concerning security constraints for web applications deployed on a Karaf using pax-web (currently they aren't supported at all :( ).
I would like to see this in the next release of the Karaf, but it will take me some time adding this missing features to the pax-web project (let's say about 5 days or so since I can only do this in the evenings), and I do not have a full access to the pax-web project I would like to commit a rather big patch then :)

Is it possible to wait with the next release for this patch, or would it delay the schedule to much.

Thanks, Achim

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Guillaume Nodet
I'd rather do a new minor release after 2.1.0 if needed.

As for pax-web, if you create an account on ops4j, you should be able
to commit any modifications to pax-web ...
Just make sure you don't break anything.  Any further pax-web related
discussion should be held on the ops4j mailing list i think.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 09:53, Achim Nierbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm not quite sure if it fits this thread but currently I'm working on the
> pax-web bundles because there is some issue concerning security constraints
> for web applications deployed on a Karaf using pax-web (currently they
> aren't supported at all :( ).
> I would like to see this in the next release of the Karaf, but it will take
> me some time adding this missing features to the pax-web project (let's say
> about 5 days or so since I can only do this in the evenings), and I do not
> have a full access to the pax-web project I would like to commit a rather
> big patch then :)
>
> Is it possible to wait with the next release for this patch, or would it
> delay the schedule to much.
>
> Thanks, Achim

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

adrian.trenaman
I've got an enhancement lined up for KARAF-151; have a patch but just did an svn update which has broken my build :( As soon as it's fixed I'll submit to the group for review. Any change we can get it in 2.1.0?

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
Hi Ade,

I think that this feature is really important for the future of Karaf.
If we can work on your code to finalize it before releasing Karaf
2.1.0 that would be great as we can next propose it for clients. I
will have time next week to work on that with other fixes.

Regards,

Charles M.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM, adrian.trenaman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've got an enhancement lined up for KARAF-151; have a patch but just did an
> svn update which has broken my build :( As soon as it's fixed I'll submit to
> the group for review. Any change we can get it in 2.1.0?

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Hi Adrian,

the feature is interesting.

When do you plan to provide the patch ?
I can review it and commit it quickly.

Guillaume wants to release the 2.1.0 version quickly so, if we want to
include your enhancement in this release, we need to hurry up :)

On 09/14/2010 11:38 PM, adrian.trenaman wrote:

> I've got an enhancement lined up for KARAF-151; have a patch but just did an
> svn update which has broken my build :( As soon as it's fixed I'll submit to
> the group for review. Any change we can get it in 2.1.0?

Re: Karaf 2.2.0 release planning

Hiram Chirino
If a feature slips from a release it's not big deal IMHO.  Camel is
waiting on a Karaf release so that it can start a release.  It's
better to release early and often.

Regards,
Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com