Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

Oliver Libutzki
Hi everyone,

is there a way to start Karaf from Eclipse? I just don't want to install all the bundles I develop to the local Maven Repository in order to use them.

I stumbled upon EIK (https://github.com/apache/karaf-eik), but the last commit is from August 2014, so EIK seems to be dead.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Oliver

Kind regards
Oliver

Kind regards
Oliver

Re: Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

cschneider
Currently there is no good Eclipse integration for karaf.

Bndtools might be an option soon. They are currently working on maven and karaf supoort. Not sure how long it will take but it is something to keep an eye on.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

Oliver Libutzki
Thanks for your answers.

Maybe it's better to ask another way.

What's the recommended way to develop OSGi-Bundles for Karaf with Eclipse? PDE? Bndtools? Is it recommended to use a "palin" OSGi container (Felix/Equinox) while developing in order to have short turnaround cycles?

Kind regards
Oliver

Christian Schneider schrieb:
Currently there is no good Eclipse integration for karaf.

Bndtools might be an option soon. They are currently working on maven and karaf supoort. Not sure how long it will take but it is something to keep an eye on.

Christian

On 13.07.2016 14:58, Oliver Libutzki wrote:
Hi everyone,

is there a way to start Karaf from Eclipse? I just don't want to install all the bundles I develop to the local Maven Repository in order to use them.

I stumbled upon EIK (https://github.com/apache/karaf-eik), but the last commit is from August 2014, so EIK seems to be dead.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Oliver

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

jbonofre
Hi Oli,

I'm not Eclipse user (I'm using IntelliJ).

What I'm doing is to develop "classic" OSGi bundle. I have a Karaf
started (by a IntelliJ launcher), where I have the bundle:watch enabled.
Than, it's automatically deployed/updated in Karaf.

On 07/14/2016 07:31 AM, Oliver Libutzki wrote:

> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Maybe it's better to ask another way.
>
> What's the recommended way to develop OSGi-Bundles for Karaf with
> Eclipse? PDE? Bndtools? Is it recommended to use a "palin" OSGi
> container (Felix/Equinox) while developing in order to have short
> turnaround cycles?
>
> Kind regards
> Oliver
>
> Christian Schneider schrieb:
>> Currently there is no good Eclipse integration for karaf.
>>
>> Bndtools might be an option soon. They are currently working on maven
>> and karaf supoort. Not sure how long it will take but it is something
>> to keep an eye on.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> On 13.07.2016 14:58, Oliver Libutzki wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> is there a way to start Karaf from Eclipse? I just don't want to
>>> install all the bundles I develop to the local Maven Repository in
>>> order to use them.
>>>
>>> I stumbled upon EIK (https://github.com/apache/karaf-eik), but the
>>> last commit is from August 2014, so EIK seems to be dead.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Oliver
>>

>> --
>> Christian Schneider
>> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>>
>> Open Source Architect
>> http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

Morgan Hautman
Hi,

Omg I didn't know the bundle:watch trick, I was stopping/uninstalling/re-installing/re-starting all the time. This will save me a lot of dev time!

Regards,
Morgan

[...]

Currently the recommended way is to use a maven or gradle build with the maven-bundle-plugin or bnd-maven-plugin.
You then create a feature or custom distro during the build.

In Eclipse you can use m2e to import your projects as maven projects.

To debug you do:
export KARAF_DEBUG=true
bin/karaf
bundle:watch *
.. install your feature

Then you can attach a remote debug session from eclipse. You can use breakpoints in your maven projects and debug as usual. When you change code you do mvn install
in the changed project. Karaf will detect the change and update the bundle. You can do this during the debug session.

So the drawback of this solution is that it is a bit tedious to create the features and start karaf by hand and attach the debug session but from this point on it is quite convenient.

Christian

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

cschneider
Even without bundle:watch you can simply do update <bundleid>. There is
no need to uninstall bundles.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

FYI, it's also possible to start karaf with debug argument (instead of
KARAF_DEBUG env variable).

> Currently the recommended way is to use a maven or gradle build with the
> maven-bundle-plugin or bnd-maven-plugin.
> You then create a feature or custom distro during the build.
>
> In Eclipse you can use m2e to import your projects as maven projects.
>
> To debug you do:
> export KARAF_DEBUG=true
> bin/karaf
> bundle:watch *
> .. install your feature
>
> Then you can attach a remote debug session from eclipse. You can use
> breakpoints in your maven projects and debug as usual. When you change
> code you do mvn install
> in the changed project. Karaf will detect the change and update the
> bundle. You can do this during the debug session.
>
> So the drawback of this solution is that it is a bit tedious to create
> the features and start karaf by hand and attach the debug session but
> from this point on it is quite convenient.
>
> Christian
>
> On 14.07.2016 07:31, Oliver Libutzki wrote:
>> Thanks for your answers.
>>
>> Maybe it's better to ask another way.
>>
>> What's the recommended way to develop OSGi-Bundles for Karaf with
>> Eclipse? PDE? Bndtools? Is it recommended to use a "palin" OSGi
>> container (Felix/Equinox) while developing in order to have short
>> turnaround cycles?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Oliver
>>
>> Christian Schneider schrieb:
>>> Currently there is no good Eclipse integration for karaf.
>>>
>>> Bndtools might be an option soon. They are currently working on maven
>>> and karaf supoort. Not sure how long it will take but it is something
>>> to keep an eye on.
>>>
>>> Christian

>>> --
>>> Christian Schneider
>>> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>>>
>>> Open Source Architect
>>> http://www.talend.com
>>

> --
> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
> Open Source Architect
> http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

Morgan Hautman
Guys,

Shouldn't we write this down into a little section in the dev guide?

Regards,
Morgan

[...]

Achim Nierbeck
afaik it's been there already

[...]

Apache Member
OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/> Committer & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

It's already there.

For debug:
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/#_troubleshooting_debugging_profiling_and_monitoring

For bundle watch:
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/#_watch

On 07/14/2016 09:22 AM, Morgan Hautman wrote:

> [...]
>
>                     I stumbled upon EIK
>                     (https://github.com/apache/karaf-eik), but the
>                     last commit is from August 2014, so EIK seems to be
>                     dead.
>
>                     Thanks for your help.
>
>                     Kind regards
>                     Oliver
>

>                 --
>                 Christian Schneider
>                 http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
>                 Open Source Architect
>                 http://www.talend.com
>

>         --
>         Christian Schneider
>         http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
>         Open Source Architect
>         http://www.talend.com
>

>     --
>     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://blog.nanthrax.net
>     Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf Eclipse Integration; Is EIK dead?

Well there it is separated, I was talking about a more user friendly approach.
Something like : "How we develop our bundles using Apache Karaf" and then describing the proces..
WDYT?

<mailto:[hidden email]>>:

[...]

That's part of the new dev guide on which I'm working, based on the samples:

https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf-samples