Karaf and SSH timeouts

rkmoquin
Out of curiosity, since this is driving me a bit batty because I usually SSH into Karaf locally to tail the log, is there a bug in the SSH library that Karaf uses to provide SSH access?  The past few releases of Karaf, 4.1.13, 4.1.14 and 4.2.0 all timeout after a few minutes of being connected via SSH to Karaf:

14:26:36.079 WARN [sshd-SshServer[20286265]-nio2-thread-1] exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:63261])[state=Opened] InterruptedByTimeoutException: null

I tried upping the timeout in the Karaf config which doesn't help.  I noticed a discussion in a different open source project (the name escapes me at the moment) where they were having a similar issue and said it started at 4.1.12.  I was surprised to not see anyone else mentioning it, so I'm just wondering if it's me.  I would think this would be something that would stand out to others very quickly. :)  It happens no matter the SSH client I use, or whether running Windows or Linux...

Ryan

Re: Karaf and SSH timeouts

jbonofre
Hi Ryan,

Are you using the Karaf client or OpenSSH client ?

You just type log:tail ?

I didn't notice such timeout.

By the way, I guess you mean Karaf 4.0.12 (not 4.1.12) right ?

On 01/04/2018 04:34 PM, Ryan Moquin wrote:

> Out of curiosity, since this is driving me a bit batty because I usually SSH
> into Karaf locally to tail the log, is there a bug in the SSH library that Karaf
> uses to provide SSH access?  The past few releases of Karaf, 4.1.13, 4.1.14 and
> 4.2.0 all timeout after a few minutes of being connected via SSH to Karaf:
>
> 14:26:36.079 WARN [sshd-SshServer[20286265]-nio2-thread-1]
> exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:63261])[state=Opened]
> InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
>
> I tried upping the timeout in the Karaf config which doesn't help.  I noticed a
> discussion in a different open source project (the name escapes me at the
> moment) where they were having a similar issue and said it started at 4.1.12.  I
> was surprised to not see anyone else mentioning it, so I'm just wondering if
> it's me.  I would think this would be something that would stand out to others
> very quickly. :)  It happens no matter the SSH client I use, or whether running
> Windows or Linux...
>
> Ryan

Re: Karaf and SSH timeouts

rkmoquin
Yes, sorry, 4.0.12.  Yes, with both the Karaf client and an OpenSSH client I see this happen.  Let me just re-verify that if I start up karaf with absolutely nothing in it and ssh to it locally that it times out.  Want to make sure no bundles are clobbering anything.  The logging gets messed up periodically because camel pulls in pax-logger-log4j2 which breaks the logging and then I have to reconnect my ssh client, if it's still connected.  I think this is something different though.

Actually, I think a bug was logged for this by OpenHAB (that was the project), here is the thread where they discuss what sounds like the exact same thing I'm seeing.  They mention it happening after 30 minutes, which is what the Karaf timeout is configured for, but then someone else mentions it happens after a few minutes consistently...

I've tried different SSH clients with Karaf to see if there was any difference just in case.  If I turn on keepalive in my bitvise ssh client, it seems to stay connected a lot longer, but it sends a keep alive ever 20 seconds and the interval isn't configurable, which makes the logs fun to look through :)

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:39 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ryan,

Are you using the Karaf client or OpenSSH client ?

You just type log:tail ?

I didn't notice such timeout.

By the way, I guess you mean Karaf 4.0.12 (not 4.1.12) right ?

On 01/04/2018 04:34 PM, Ryan Moquin wrote:
> Out of curiosity, since this is driving me a bit batty because I usually SSH
> into Karaf locally to tail the log, is there a bug in the SSH library that Karaf
> uses to provide SSH access?  The past few releases of Karaf, 4.1.13, 4.1.14 and
> 4.2.0 all timeout after a few minutes of being connected via SSH to Karaf:
>
> 14:26:36.079 WARN [sshd-SshServer[20286265]-nio2-thread-1]
> exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:63261])[state=Opened]
> InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
>
> I tried upping the timeout in the Karaf config which doesn't help.  I noticed a
> discussion in a different open source project (the name escapes me at the
> moment) where they were having a similar issue and said it started at 4.1.12.  I
> was surprised to not see anyone else mentioning it, so I'm just wondering if
> it's me.  I would think this would be something that would stand out to others
> very quickly. :)  It happens no matter the SSH client I use, or whether running
> Windows or Linux...
>
> Ryan

Re: Karaf and SSH timeouts

jbonofre
Thanks for the update.

Let me try to reproduce this behavior.

On 01/04/2018 04:56 PM, Ryan Moquin wrote:

> [...]
>      >
>      > 14:26:36.079 WARN [sshd-SshServer[20286265]-nio2-thread-1]
>      > exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:63261])[state=Opened]
>      > InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
>      >
>      > I tried upping the timeout in the Karaf config which doesn't help.  I
>     noticed a
>      > discussion in a different open source project (the name escapes me at the
>      > moment) where they were having a similar issue and said it started at
>     4.1.12.  I
>      > was surprised to not see anyone else mentioning it, so I'm just wondering if
>      > it's me.  I would think this would be something that would stand out to
>     others
>      > very quickly. :)  It happens no matter the SSH client I use, or whether

Re: Karaf and SSH timeouts

rkmoquin
One more thing that might be helpful, my bitvise client reconnects... so there is a set of logs where it's been connecting and getting disconnected, looks like it's happening every 10 minutes, I wasn't doing anything with Karaf during that time:

18:25:48.014 WARN [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-1] exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:49332])[state=Opened] InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
18:25:50.120 INFO [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-1] Session karaf@/127.0.0.1:49402 authenticated
18:36:05.122 WARN [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-2] exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:49402])[state=Opened] InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
18:36:07.226 INFO [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-2] Session karaf@/127.0.0.1:49506 authenticated
18:46:22.227 WARN [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-1] exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:49506])[state=Opened] InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
18:46:24.335 INFO [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-1] Session karaf@/127.0.0.1:49602 authenticated
20:48:01.659 WARN [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-2] exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:49602])[state=Opened] InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
20:48:03.767 INFO [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-2] Session karaf@/127.0.0.1:50035 authenticated
20:58:18.768 WARN [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-1] exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:50035])[state=Opened] InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
20:58:20.937 INFO [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-1] Session karaf@/127.0.0.1:50225 authenticated
21:08:35.940 WARN [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-2] exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:50225])[state=Opened] InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
21:08:38.046 INFO [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-2] Session karaf@/127.0.0.1:50344 authenticated
21:18:53.048 WARN [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-1] exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:50344])[state=Opened] InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
21:18:55.160 INFO [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-1] Session karaf@/127.0.0.1:50601 authenticated
21:29:10.162 WARN [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-2] exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:50601])[state=Opened] InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
21:29:12.301 INFO [sshd-SshServer[6e85ec8]-nio2-thread-2] Session karaf@/127.0.0.1:50687 authenticated

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:58 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>      >
>      > 14:26:36.079 WARN [sshd-SshServer[20286265]-nio2-thread-1]
>      > exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:63261])[state=Opened]
>      > InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
>      >
>      > I tried upping the timeout in the Karaf config which doesn't help.  I
>     noticed a
>      > discussion in a different open source project (the name escapes me at the
>      > moment) where they were having a similar issue and said it started at
>     4.1.12.  I
>      > was surprised to not see anyone else mentioning it, so I'm just wondering if
>      > it's me.  I would think this would be something that would stand out to
>     others
>      > very quickly. :)  It happens no matter the SSH client I use, or whether

Re: Karaf and SSH timeouts

Freeman-2
Seems we already have a jira ticket for it KARAF-5473[1]
[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5473
-------------
Freeman(Yue) Fang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat

On Jan 5, 2018, at 5:36 AM, Ryan Moquin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>      >
>      > 14:26:36.079 WARN [sshd-SshServer[20286265]-nio2-thread-1]
>      > exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:63261])[state=Opened]
>      > InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
>      >
>      > I tried upping the timeout in the Karaf config which doesn't help.  I
>     noticed a
>      > discussion in a different open source project (the name escapes me at the
>      > moment) where they were having a similar issue and said it started at
>     4.1.12.  I
>      > was surprised to not see anyone else mentioning it, so I'm just wondering if
>      > it's me.  I would think this would be something that would stand out to
>     others
>      > very quickly. :)  It happens no matter the SSH client I use, or whether

Re: Karaf and SSH timeouts

jbonofre
Yes, I remember to have worked around this. Let me take a look.

On 01/05/2018 09:51 AM, Freeman Fang wrote:

> [...]
>>     me at the
>>     >      > moment) where they were having a similar issue and said it started at
>>     >     4.1.12.  I
>>     >      > was surprised to not see anyone else mentioning it, so I'm just
>>     wondering if
>>     >      > it's me.  I would think this would be something that would stand
>>     out to
>>     >     others
>>     >      > very quickly. :)  It happens no matter the SSH client I use, or
>>     whether
>>     >     running
>>     >      > Windows or Linux...
>>     >      >
>>     >      > Ryan
>>     >
>>     >     --
>>     >     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

Yeah, I think that is why I didn't say anything on here initially, but it's such a PITA I figured I would ask :)

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 3:51 AM Freeman Fang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>      >
>      > 14:26:36.079 WARN [sshd-SshServer[20286265]-nio2-thread-1]
>      > exceptionCaught(ServerSessionImpl[karaf@/127.0.0.1:63261])[state=Opened]
>      > InterruptedByTimeoutException: null
>      >
>      > I tried upping the timeout in the Karaf config which doesn't help.  I
>     noticed a
>      > discussion in a different open source project (the name escapes me at the
>      > moment) where they were having a similar issue and said it started at
>     4.1.12.  I
>      > was surprised to not see anyone else mentioning it, so I'm just wondering if
>      > it's me.  I would think this would be something that would stand out to
>     others
>      > very quickly. :)  It happens no matter the SSH client I use, or whether

Re: Karaf and SSH timeouts

rkmoquin
If you can point me to where in Karaf would be a good point to investigate, I don't mind doing some preliminary debugging of this, especially because it's such a pain in the rear for me.  I know you guys probably have a lot of your plate and this issue is more of a severe annoyance than anything else, so I'm sure it doesn't really rank super high on list of priorities. :)

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 5:44 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>     me at the
>>     >      > moment) where they were having a similar issue and said it started at
>>     >     4.1.12.  I
>>     >      > was surprised to not see anyone else mentioning it, so I'm just
>>     wondering if
>>     >      > it's me.  I would think this would be something that would stand
>>     out to
>>     >     others
>>     >      > very quickly. :)  It happens no matter the SSH client I use, or
>>     whether
>>     >     running
>>     >      > Windows or Linux...
>>     >      >
>>     >      > Ryan
>>     >
>>     >     --
>>     >     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

I would check the terminal settings + bouncycastle + JVM security first (even if
it should not impact the timeout IMHO).