Karaf-based App-Store

Julian Feinauer

Hi all,

after several discussions in the #karaf Channel in Slack I wanted to bring this issue also to the list.

We are currently building a Framework which is like an “App-Store” where we provide a “Runtime” and a set of SPIs to code “Apps” against. This Is all web-based so the Apps are in fact a set of Websites (boring, oldshool, give us apps!).

But we also like to introduce later on an “App Store” and the ability to (dynamically) load / start new Apps or stop / uninstall them.

So, theoretically speaking, Karaf is a good fit as it already brings a lot of necessary functionality.

My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?

We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.

And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use from there and what not.

Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this would work or if we should better forget about that?

Thanks already!

Julian

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/72b266c2a49bce7288c2972a03ee36562b058088898eb40d8f992590@%3Cuser.karaf.apache.org%3E

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-6436

Re: Karaf-based App-Store

rkmoquin
Hi Julian,

Sounds like an interesting idea which could lead to some refinements and enhancements to Karaf.

In regards to signing, if you build bundles with bndtools (either using Eclipse or just using it with Maven) it has a plugin for signing bundles and creating an exported Jar.. it seems like looking into that could be helpful.

I think Apache Sling which is OSGi based might be helpful around what you are trying to do..

That's probably the best I can suggest.  I like the way web applications are handled in OSGi and Karaf seems like it would be a great base for this sort of thing.

Is this an open source or private initiative?

Ryan

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019, 9:35 AM Julian Feinauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

For OpenSource/Karaf perspective, that's a bit the idea of features in
combination with Cave (as server provider). I think it's already good to
go when used the correct way.

Regarding more "commercial/pro" AppStore like, it's not in Karaf scope
directly IMHO. I know some providers about kind of "Karaf Apps"
(basically a features plus some metadata).

On 27/09/2019 15:35, Julian Feinauer wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> after several discussions in the #karaf Channel in Slack I wanted to
> bring this issue also to the list.
>

> We are currently building a Framework which is like an “App-Store” where
> we provide a “Runtime” and a set of SPIs to code “Apps” against. This Is
> all web-based so the Apps are in fact a set of Websites (boring,
> oldshool, give us apps!).
>
> But we also like to introduce later on an “App Store” and the ability to
> (dynamically) load / start new Apps or stop / uninstall them.
>
> So, theoretically speaking, Karaf is a good fit as it already brings a
> lot of necessary functionality.
>

> My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and
> ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?
>

> We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate
> process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.
>
> And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use
> from there and what not.
>

> Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this
> would work or if we should better forget about that?
>

> Thanks already!
>
> Julian
>

> [1]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/72b266c2a49bce7288c2972a03ee36562b058088898eb40d8f992590@%3Cuser.karaf.apache.org%3E
>
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-6436

Re: Karaf-based App-Store

Łukasz Dywicki
I am aware of one marketplace which is completely based on open source
stack - and it is used in .. no surprise .. openHAB. :-)

There is Eclipse Marketplace which offers some kid of listing of
resources which can be downloaded and installed in end-user environment.
The marketplace is a webservice, openhab have special client which
downloads bundles or KARs and tells karaf to install them.

Having said there is still a lot of things which are left unresolved -
such as payments and/or licensing.

Another marketplace which you might not be fully aware of is Atlassian -
their plugins are running with OSGi under the hood.

Cheers,
Łukasz

> For OpenSource/Karaf perspective, that's a bit the idea of features in
> combination with Cave (as server provider). I think it's already good to
> go when used the correct way.
>
> Regarding more "commercial/pro" AppStore like, it's not in Karaf scope
> directly IMHO. I know some providers about kind of "Karaf Apps"
> (basically a features plus some metadata).

> On 27/09/2019 15:35, Julian Feinauer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> after several discussions in the #karaf Channel in Slack I wanted to
>> bring this issue also to the list.
>>

>> We are currently building a Framework which is like an “App-Store” where
>> we provide a “Runtime” and a set of SPIs to code “Apps” against. This Is
>> all web-based so the Apps are in fact a set of Websites (boring,
>> oldshool, give us apps!).
>>
>> But we also like to introduce later on an “App Store” and the ability to
>> (dynamically) load / start new Apps or stop / uninstall them.
>>
>> So, theoretically speaking, Karaf is a good fit as it already brings a
>> lot of necessary functionality.
>>

>> My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and
>> ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?
>>

>> We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate
>> process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.
>>
>> And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use
>> from there and what not.
>>

>> Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this
>> would work or if we should better forget about that?
>>

>> Thanks already!
>>
>> Julian
>>

>> [1]
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/72b266c2a49bce7288c2972a03ee36562b058088898eb40d8f992590@%3Cuser.karaf.apache.org%3E
>>
>> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-6436

Re: Karaf-based App-Store

Julian Feinauer
Hi Lukasz,

thanks fort he response.
In fact, I know both of those but Atlassians backend is not open source and Eclipses Backend is based on p2, as far as I understand which is some different kind of OBR or?
But generally, the Eclipse store covers pretty much our use case (it could / should even be simpler, of course).

But to bring that to karaf I could use Cave to host the bundles and then "only" send a Command to the karaf ssh shell, or, I mean, theoretically speaking?

Julian

Am 02.10.19, 13:40 schrieb "Łukasz Dywicki" <[hidden email]>:

    I am aware of one marketplace which is completely based on open source
    stack - and it is used in .. no surprise .. openHAB. :-)

    There is Eclipse Marketplace which offers some kid of listing of
    resources which can be downloaded and installed in end-user environment.
    The marketplace is a webservice, openhab have special client which
    downloads bundles or KARs and tells karaf to install them.

    Having said there is still a lot of things which are left unresolved -
    such as payments and/or licensing.

    Another marketplace which you might not be fully aware of is Atlassian -
    their plugins are running with OSGi under the hood.

    Cheers,
    Łukasz

    > For OpenSource/Karaf perspective, that's a bit the idea of features in
    > combination with Cave (as server provider). I think it's already good to
    > go when used the correct way.
    >
    > Regarding more "commercial/pro" AppStore like, it's not in Karaf scope
    > directly IMHO. I know some providers about kind of "Karaf Apps"
    > (basically a features plus some metadata).

    > On 27/09/2019 15:35, Julian Feinauer wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> after several discussions in the #karaf Channel in Slack I wanted to
    >> bring this issue also to the list.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> We are currently building a Framework which is like an “App-Store” where
    >> we provide a “Runtime” and a set of SPIs to code “Apps” against. This Is
    >> all web-based so the Apps are in fact a set of Websites (boring,
    >> oldshool, give us apps!).
    >>
    >> But we also like to introduce later on an “App Store” and the ability to
    >> (dynamically) load / start new Apps or stop / uninstall them.
    >>
    >> So, theoretically speaking, Karaf is a good fit as it already brings a
    >> lot of necessary functionality.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and
    >> ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate
    >> process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.
    >>
    >> And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use
    >> from there and what not.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this
    >> would work or if we should better forget about that?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks already!
    >>
    >> Julian
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> [1]
    >> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/72b266c2a49bce7288c2972a03ee36562b058088898eb40d8f992590@%3Cuser.karaf.apache.org%3E
    >>
    >> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-6436

Re: Karaf-based App-Store

fpapon
Hi Julian,

You can install the Cave-deployer on the Karaf instances and use the api
rest of the deployer to install features/bundles.

regards,

François
[hidden email]

Le 02/10/2019 à 13:43, Julian Feinauer a écrit :

> [...]
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and
>     >> ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate
>     >> process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.
>     >>
>     >> And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use
>     >> from there and what not.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this
>     >> would work or if we should better forget about that?

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: Karaf-based App-Store

Julian Feinauer
Hi Francois,

so the deployer fetches the bundles / features from the Cave OBR and does the deployment?
So the whole "installation" process is in theory just one REST call?

Julian

Am 02.10.19, 15:07 schrieb "Francois Papon" <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

    >     >>
    >     >>
    >     >> My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and
    >     >> ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?
    >     >>
    >     >>
    >     >>
    >     >> We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate
    >     >> process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.
    >     >>
    >     >> And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use
    >     >> from there and what not.
    >     >>
    >     >>
    >     >>
    >     >> Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this
    >     >> would work or if we should better forget about that?

Re: Karaf-based App-Store

Łukasz Dywicki
The Eclipse stuff is based on Drupal thus it is bunch of forms, custom
content types to represent extension types and their "xml"
representations for integration needs.
I don't know much about it and how it is built internally, but I guess
it is kind of system made through available toolset. Far from perfect,
but working for Kura and other ecosystems.

A long time ago (around 2010) I was thinking of making an online
repository for feature repositories but idea have died somewhere between
other tasks.

Because Karaf can host diverse set of apps with various granularity
levels making an App-Store can be done in two ways - universal approach
which sticks to features/KARs or, something more customizable which will
be able to represent structuring of underlying modules - ie. transports,
integrations, UIs and so on.

Cheers,
Łukasz

On 02.10.2019 13:43, Julian Feinauer wrote:

> [...]
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and
>     >> ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate
>     >> process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.
>     >>
>     >> And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use
>     >> from there and what not.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this
>     >> would work or if we should better forget about that?

Re: Karaf-based App-Store

Yes that's it ;)

But Cave it's not only an OBR but mainly a maven repository.

regards,

François
[hidden email]

Le 02/10/2019 à 15:20, Julian Feinauer a écrit :

> [...]
>     >     >>
>     >     >> My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and
>     >     >> ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?
>     >     >>
>     >     >>
>     >     >>
>     >     >> We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate
>     >     >> process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.
>     >     >>
>     >     >> And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use
>     >     >> from there and what not.
>     >     >>
>     >     >>
>     >     >>
>     >     >> Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this
>     >     >> would work or if we should better forget about that?

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: Karaf-based App-Store

Julian Feinauer
After 3 People telling me on the list and 4 in the #Karaf Channel I finally got it.. thanks for your patience Francois : )

Julian

Am 02.10.19, 16:07 schrieb "Francois Papon" <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

    >     >     >>
    >     >     >> My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and
    >     >     >> ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?
    >     >     >>
    >     >     >>
    >     >     >>
    >     >     >> We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate
    >     >     >> process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.
    >     >     >>
    >     >     >> And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use
    >     >     >> from there and what not.
    >     >     >>
    >     >     >>
    >     >     >>
    >     >     >> Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this
    >     >     >> would work or if we should better forget about that?

Re: Karaf-based App-Store

fpapon
You're welcome :)

regards,

François
[hidden email]

Le 02/10/2019 à 16:10, Julian Feinauer a écrit :

> [...]
>     >     >     >> My question is a bit similar to Jaaps in [1]: Are there any (known) and
>     >     >     >> ideally Open Source solutions of what we are trying to solve?
>     >     >     >>
>     >     >     >>
>     >     >     >>
>     >     >     >> We would also need things like Signed bundles (see [2]), a separate
>     >     >     >> process for Managing (or remote controlling) Karaf and so on.
>     >     >     >>
>     >     >     >> And it would be nice to look at another project and see what one can use
>     >     >     >> from there and what not.
>     >     >     >> Or do you have any general questions, ideas, hints for us on if this
>     >     >     >> would work or if we should better forget about that?

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com