Logback Logstash Encoder

Matthias Leinweber-2
Hello Karaf-Team

I searched for a while on the mailing list archive,jira and web, but I couldn't find an answer.
My task is a custom distro with logback + logstash encoder.

I found the configuration property framework-logback (is this documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add the logstash encoder (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends to logstash-core and so on.

I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also needs logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax bundle. Has someone an idea?

best regards,
Matthias

Re: Logback Logstash Encoder

Why not using Decanter to achieve this ?

Decanter is better integrated to Karaf and provide similar features.

On 29/01/2020 16:09, Matthias Leinweber wrote:

> Hello Karaf-Team
>
> I searched for a while on the mailing list archive,jira and web, but I
> couldn't find an answer.
> My task is a custom distro with logback + logstash encoder.
>
> I found the configuration property framework-logback (is this
> documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add the logstash
> encoder (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends
> to logstash-core and so on.
>
> I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also needs
> logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax bundle. Has
> someone an idea?
>
> best regards,
> Matthias

Re: Logback Logstash Encoder

Matthias Leinweber-2
My karaf based solution is embedded within an ecosystem running logstash/graylog/prometheus in a k8s environment.
Adding something else for monitoring is unfortunately quite impossible. Additionally my college who is a fan of enroute is always making fun of me because of karaf ;)

best regards,
Matthias

Am Mi., 29. Jan. 2020 um 18:43 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

Why not using Decanter to achieve this ?

Decanter is better integrated to Karaf and provide similar features.

On 29/01/2020 16:09, Matthias Leinweber wrote:
> Hello Karaf-Team
>
> I searched for a while on the mailing list archive,jira and web, but I
> couldn't find an answer.
> My task is a custom distro with logback + logstash encoder.
>
> I found the configuration property framework-logback (is this
> documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add the logstash
> encoder (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends
> to logstash-core and so on.
>
> I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also needs
> logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax bundle. Has
> someone an idea?
>
> best regards,
> Matthias

Re: Logback Logstash Encoder

I think you misunderstood me ;)

As you have Karaf, you can embed Decanter there. Decanter can collect
anything from Karaf itself and send to prometheus. We are using karaf
with Decanter on cloud with k8s and optionally prometheus (actually we
removed prometheus to directly use Decanter with elasticsearch).
Any way, for logback appender, you have to add it as fragment. Logback
API is provided by pax-logging-api (not logback itself).

I prefer to not meet your collegue, I don't think it will have fun with
him ;)

On 29/01/2020 21:50, Matthias Leinweber wrote:

> My karaf based solution is embedded within an ecosystem running
> logstash/graylog/prometheus in a k8s environment.
> Adding something else for monitoring is unfortunately quite impossible.
> Additionally my college who is a fan of enroute is always making fun of
> me because of karaf ;)
>
> best regards,
> Matthias
>
> Am Mi., 29. Jan. 2020 um 18:43 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Why not using Decanter to achieve this ?
>
>     Decanter is better integrated to Karaf and provide similar features.
>
>     Regards
>     JB
>
>     On 29/01/2020 16:09, Matthias Leinweber wrote:
>     > Hello Karaf-Team
>     >
>     > I searched for a while on the mailing list archive,jira and web, but I
>     > couldn't find an answer.
>     > My task is a custom distro with logback + logstash encoder.
>     >
>     > I found the configuration property framework-logback (is this
>     > documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add the logstash
>     > encoder (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends
>     > to logstash-core and so on.
>     >
>     > I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also needs
>     > logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax bundle. Has
>     > someone an idea?
>     >
>     > best regards,
>     > Matthias
>
>     --
>     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://blog.nanthrax.net
>     Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Logback Logstash Encoder

By the way, I can help with that, it's pretty simple and I have
experience about prometheus and logstash.
Just ping me directly.

And for you collegue (ok, I'm angry now ;) ), you can say that some
enroute users use karaf as runtime, for good reason, and we have new
tooling coming ;)

On 29/01/2020 21:50, Matthias Leinweber wrote:

> My karaf based solution is embedded within an ecosystem running
> logstash/graylog/prometheus in a k8s environment.
> Adding something else for monitoring is unfortunately quite impossible.
> Additionally my college who is a fan of enroute is always making fun of
> me because of karaf ;)
>
> best regards,
> Matthias
>
> Am Mi., 29. Jan. 2020 um 18:43 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Why not using Decanter to achieve this ?
>
>     Decanter is better integrated to Karaf and provide similar features.
>
>     Regards
>     JB
>
>     On 29/01/2020 16:09, Matthias Leinweber wrote:
>     > Hello Karaf-Team
>     >
>     > I searched for a while on the mailing list archive,jira and web, but I
>     > couldn't find an answer.
>     > My task is a custom distro with logback + logstash encoder.
>     >
>     > I found the configuration property framework-logback (is this
>     > documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add the logstash
>     > encoder (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends
>     > to logstash-core and so on.
>     >
>     > I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also needs
>     > logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax bundle. Has
>     > someone an idea?
>     >
>     > best regards,
>     > Matthias
>
>     --
>     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://blog.nanthrax.net
>     Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Logback Logstash Encoder

Matthias Leinweber-2
Thank you for the hint with Fragment host. I forgot that this exists.

2 additonally questions:
is there any convenient way to change a Fragment host of a bundle? E.g logstash-encoder selects logback-classic as host.
What is needed to get log:display working again?

Beste regards,

... And yeah its always a funny discussion enroute vs karaf ... Esp. if the spring Boot boys are around.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 30. Jan. 2020, 06:21:
By the way, I can help with that, it's pretty simple and I have
experience about prometheus and logstash.
Just ping me directly.

And for you collegue (ok, I'm angry now ;) ), you can say that some
enroute users use karaf as runtime, for good reason, and we have new
tooling coming ;)

On 29/01/2020 21:50, Matthias Leinweber wrote:
> My karaf based solution is embedded within an ecosystem running
> logstash/graylog/prometheus in a k8s environment.
> Adding something else for monitoring is unfortunately quite impossible.
> Additionally my college who is a fan of enroute is always making fun of
> me because of karaf ;)
>
> best regards,
> Matthias
>
> Am Mi., 29. Jan. 2020 um 18:43 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Why not using Decanter to achieve this ?
>
>     Decanter is better integrated to Karaf and provide similar features.
>
>     Regards
>     JB
>
>     On 29/01/2020 16:09, Matthias Leinweber wrote:
>     > Hello Karaf-Team
>     >
>     > I searched for a while on the mailing list archive,jira and web, but I
>     > couldn't find an answer.
>     > My task is a custom distro with logback + logstash encoder.
>     >
>     > I found the configuration property framework-logback (is this
>     > documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add the logstash
>     > encoder (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends
>     > to logstash-core and so on.
>     >
>     > I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also needs
>     > logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax bundle. Has
>     > someone an idea?
>     >
>     > best regards,
>     > Matthias
>
>     --
>     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://blog.nanthrax.net
>     Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Logback Logstash Encoder

Matthias Leinweber-2
...  basically  json output could be sufficient, so I switched back to log4j2 and tried to use JSON Lyouter.
Well new idea, new trouble.
I added jackson to startup.properties but  level 7 right before pax-logging-api but i get
org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-api [log4j2] ERROR : Log4J2 configuration problem: com/fasterxml/jackson/databind/ser/FilterProvider Ignored FQCN: org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLogger
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/fasterxml/jackson/databind/ser/FilterProvider
 at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.JsonLayout.<init>(JsonLayout.java:158)
during startup.

it seems to be exportet:
karaf@root()> classes 7 |grep FilterProvider
com/fasterxml/jackson/databind/ser/FilterProvider.class | exported: true
What am I doing wrong?

Regards, Matthias

Am Do., 30. Jan. 2020 um 10:21 Uhr schrieb Matthias Leinweber <[hidden email]>:
Thank you for the hint with Fragment host. I forgot that this exists.

2 additonally questions:
is there any convenient way to change a Fragment host of a bundle? E.g logstash-encoder selects logback-classic as host.
What is needed to get log:display working again?

Beste regards,

... And yeah its always a funny discussion enroute vs karaf ... Esp. if the spring Boot boys are around.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 30. Jan. 2020, 06:21:
By the way, I can help with that, it's pretty simple and I have
experience about prometheus and logstash.
Just ping me directly.

And for you collegue (ok, I'm angry now ;) ), you can say that some
enroute users use karaf as runtime, for good reason, and we have new
tooling coming ;)

On 29/01/2020 21:50, Matthias Leinweber wrote:
> My karaf based solution is embedded within an ecosystem running
> logstash/graylog/prometheus in a k8s environment.
> Adding something else for monitoring is unfortunately quite impossible.
> Additionally my college who is a fan of enroute is always making fun of
> me because of karaf ;)
>
> best regards,
> Matthias
>
> Am Mi., 29. Jan. 2020 um 18:43 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Why not using Decanter to achieve this ?
>
>     Decanter is better integrated to Karaf and provide similar features.
>
>     Regards
>     JB
>
>     On 29/01/2020 16:09, Matthias Leinweber wrote:
>     > Hello Karaf-Team
>     >
>     > I searched for a while on the mailing list archive,jira and web, but I
>     > couldn't find an answer.
>     > My task is a custom distro with logback + logstash encoder.
>     >
>     > I found the configuration property framework-logback (is this
>     > documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add the logstash
>     > encoder (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends
>     > to logstash-core and so on.
>     >
>     > I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also needs
>     > logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax bundle. Has
>     > someone an idea?
>     >
>     > best regards,
>     > Matthias
>
>     --
>     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://blog.nanthrax.net
>     Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Logback Logstash Encoder

did you add pax-logging-extra ?

On 30/01/2020 19:34, Matthias Leinweber wrote:

> [...]
>         this
>         >     > documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add
>         the logstash
>         >     > encoder
>         (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends
>         >     > to logstash-core and so on.
>         >     >
>         >     > I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also
>         needs
>         >     > logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax
>         bundle. Has
>         >     > someone an idea?
>         >     >
>         >     > best regards,
>         >     > Matthias
>         >
>         >     --
>         >     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>         >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

And again, sorry to be pushy, but largely easier with Decanter ;)

Ask to your enroute colleague lol ;)

> [...]

>         this
>         >     > documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add
>         the logstash
>         >     > encoder
>         (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends
>         >     > to logstash-core and so on.
>         >     >
>         >     > I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also
>         needs
>         >     > logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax
>         bundle. Has
>         >     > someone an idea?
>         >     >
>         >     > best regards,
>         >     > Matthias
>         >
>         >     --
>         >     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>         >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

I finally got it to produce json output. Thank you a lot.
You are not pushy .. tbh its more then justified and o/c i will stick to karaf.

But i noticed a new Problem, when greeting a custom distro and adding cellar 4.1.3 to karaf 4.2.8 the build process somehow adds 4.3.0.RC1 dependencies. I had such a problem a few days ago but i thought it was a Problem with the maven version used by jenkins. What would be a good starting point to find the cause for the wrong feature resolving?

Regards,
Matthias

Am Do., 30. Jan. 2020 um 20:28 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

>         this
>         >     > documented?) and logback is working. However, i cant add
>         the logstash
>         >     > encoder
>         (net.logstash.logback/logstash-logback-encoder/5.3) it depends
>         >     > to logstash-core and so on.
>         >     >
>         >     > I tried to add it as a startup bundle, but then it also
>         needs
>         >     > logback-core and so on and it is in conflict to the pax
>         bundle. Has
>         >     > someone an idea?
>         >     >
>         >     > best regards,
>         >     > Matthias
>         >
>         >     --
>         >     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>         >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

jbonofre
Hi Matthias,

it also happened in the past with 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT.

That's probably because you have "open range".

In Karaf itself, we added etc/org.apache.karaf.features.xml we
blacklisted the 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT repo.
We should add also 4.3.0.RC1 ones as well.

I will do that, in meantime, you can do it in your custom distro as well.

On 31/01/2020 10:53, Matthias Leinweber wrote:

> [...]
>     >         >     > someone an idea?
>     >         >     >
>     >         >     > best regards,
>     >         >     > Matthias
>     >         >
>     >         >     --
>     >         >     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     >         >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>     >         >     http://blog.nanthrax.net
>     >         >     Talend - http://www.talend.com
>     >         >
>     >         >
>     >         >
>     >
>     >         --
>     >         Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     >         [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

Thats the thing I am wondering i exactly selected 4.2.8 in my custom distro. I added a features.xml to my resource/assembly/etc folder but it still adds the wrong features.
The Matched URI can't use version ranges warning is not related to that .. last week you wrote that it can be usually ignored ;)

br,
Matthias

Am Fr., 31. Jan. 2020 um 11:03 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

>     >         >     > someone an idea?
>     >         >     >
>     >         >     > best regards,
>     >         >     > Matthias
>     >         >
>     >         >     --
>     >         >     Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     >         >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>     >         >     http://blog.nanthrax.net
>     >         >     Talend - http://www.talend.com
>     >         >
>     >
>     >         Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>     >         [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

I found it: <repository>mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/standard/[4,5)/xml/features</repository> in aries-jax-rs features. But somehow the blacklist did not work for me.

kr,
Matthias