Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distrorome

Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distrorome

Erwin Hogeweg
Hi -

I ran into an issue with a custom distro.

Installing a local feature from the console works just fine, but when I include the feature repo in the org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file the feature won’t load because karaf thinks it doesn’t exist.

This is what I get when I install from the console while the :

karaf@root()> feature:repo-add mvn:com.myproject/my-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
karaf@root()> feature:repo-list
  my-features-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT               │ mvn:com.myproject/my-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
karaf@root()> feature:install my-feature
karaf@root()>

This is the entry in the distro pom to add the repo to the config file:

<dependency>
<groupId>com.myproject</groupId>
<artifactId>my-features</artifactId>
<version>${project.version}</version>
<classifier>features</classifier>
<type>xml</type>
<scope>runtime</scope>
</dependency>

And this is what I get when I install the feature in the distro:

feature:repo-list
  my-features                     │ mvn:com.myproject/my-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
karaf@root()> feature:install my-feature
Error executing command: No matching features for my-feature/0

Not sure what is going on here. In the first case the Repository name shown is the feature name as defined in feature.xml, in the second case it is the feature artifact name as defined in the pom.xml.

I checked the docs and compared my distro pom with the 4.2.0 source code. I don’t see (...) any glaring mistakes, but obviously something must be wrong.

Kind Regards,

Erwin

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distrorome

feature:repo-list only shows your repo or the "standard" karaf repos at
well ?

If feature:install doesn't return an error, it means it worked without
problem. You can use -v to have more details.

On 12/05/2018 22:43, Erwin Hogeweg wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I ran into an issue with a custom distro.
>
> Installing a local feature from the console works just fine, but when I
> include the feature repo in the org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file the
> feature won’t load because karaf thinks it doesn’t exist.
>
> This is what I get when I install from the console while the :
>
> karaf@root()> feature:repo-add mvn:com.myproject/my-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
> karaf@root()> feature:repo-list
>    my-features-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT               │
> mvn:com.myproject/my-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
> karaf@root()> feature:install my-feature
> karaf@root()>
>
> This is the entry in the distro pom to add the repo to the config file:
>
> <dependency>
> <groupId>com.myproject</groupId>
> <artifactId>my-features</artifactId>
> <version>${project.version}</version>
> <classifier>features</classifier>
> <type>xml</type>
> <scope>runtime</scope>
> </dependency>
>

> And this is what I get when I install the feature in the distro:
>
> feature:repo-list
>    my-features                     │
> mvn:com.myproject/my-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
> karaf@root()> feature:install my-feature
> Error executing command: No matching features for my-feature/0
>
> Not sure what is going on here. In the first case the Repository name
> shown is the feature name as defined in feature.xml, in the second case
> it is the feature artifact name as defined in the pom.xml.
>
> I checked the docs and compared my distro pom with the 4.2.0 source
> code. I don’t see (...) any glaring mistakes, but obviously something
> must be wrong.

> Kind Regards,
>
> Erwin

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

Erwin Hogeweg
Hi François,

Thanks for your reply.

Did the feature:list show your feature un your custom distribution ?

Nope.

You also set log to debug and see if there is something wrong.

Hmmm…
2018-05-13T15:48:05,948 | DEBUG | activator-1-thread-1 | AetherBasedResolver              | 2 - org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn - 2.5.4 | Resolved (com.seecago.rome.server:rome-features:xml:features:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT) as <…>/Users/erwin/work/Rome/trunk/src/server/karaf.distro/target/assembly/system/com/seecago/rome/server/rome-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/rome-features-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-features.xml

… I think I see what the issue is… the referenced feature is empty, or pretty much empty.

<features xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.5.0" name="rome-features"/>

That is not the feature.xml I had in mind. The one from .m2 looks much different. Wasn’t there a Jira issue raised a couple of weeks ago about feature.xml not being generated completely? Or was that a config file? I can’t find it anymore.

Thanks,

Erwin

[...]

Erwin

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

fpapon

Can you share your pom.xml from the assembly module ?

François

Le 13/05/2018 à 18:11, Erwin Hogeweg a écrit :
Hi François,

Thanks for your reply.

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

Erwin Hogeweg
François,

Can you share your pom.xml from the assembly module ?

Attached.

Erwin

pom.xml (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

fpapon

Can you try be adding your features in the pom.xml assembly in the karaf-maven-plugin ?

<installedFeatures>
       <feature>my-feature</feature>
</installedFeatures>

François

François,

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

fpapon

Did you purge your .m2 repository ?

May be an old feature.xml file is used.

François

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

eclipselink should be not a startup feature: startup feature is not
actually a feature, the bundles contained in the feature are added in
etc/startup.properties.

So eclipselink should be a boot feature.

Same for jndi.

The scope runtime on deps means that they will be added in the Karaf
repo. I don't see the standard repo in your pom.

I advise to fix that first.

On 13/05/2018 17:12, Erwin Hogeweg wrote:

> François,
>>
>> Can you share your pom.xml from the assembly module ?
>>
> Attached.
>

> Erwin
>> Le 13/05/2018 à 18:11, Erwin Hogeweg a écrit :
>>> Hi François,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply.

>>> Nope.

>>> Hmmm…
>>> 2018-05-13T15:48:05,948 | DEBUG | activator-1-thread-1 |
>>> AetherBasedResolver          | 2 - org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn - 2.5.4 |
>>> Resolved
>>> (com.seecago.rome.server:rome-features:xml:features:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT)
>>> as
>>> <…>/Users/erwin/work/Rome/trunk/src/server/karaf.distro/target/assembly/system/com/seecago/rome/server/rome-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/rome-features-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-features.xml
>>>
>>> … I think I see what the issue is… the referenced feature is empty,
>>> or pretty much empty.
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
>>> <features xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.5.0"
>>> name="rome-features"/>
>>>
>>> That is not the feature.xml I had in mind. The one from .m2 looks
>>> much different. Wasn’t there a Jira issue raised a couple of weeks
>>> ago about feature.xml not being generated completely? Or was that a
>>> config file? I can’t find it anymore.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Erwin

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

Erwin Hogeweg
François,

Did you purge your .m2 repository ?

May be an old feature.xml file is used.

Yes, did that multiple times. No difference.

Thanks,

Erwin

[...]

Thanks for your reply

eclipselink should be not a startup feature: startup feature is not actually a feature, the bundles contained in the feature are added in etc/startup.properties.

So eclipselink should be a boot feature.

Same for jndi.
Thanks, I fixed that.

The scope runtime on deps means that they will be added in the Karaf repo. I don't see the standard repo in your pom.
I had the enterprise in there. It was my understanding that is a superset of standard.

I advise to fix that first.
Added standard repo but no difference.

karaf@root()> feature:repo-list
Repository                        │ URL
──────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
enterprise-4.2.0                  │ mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/enterprise/4.2.0/xml/features
pax-transx-0.2.0                  │ mvn:org.ops4j.pax.transx/pax-transx-features/0.2.0/xml/features
framework-4.2.0                   │ mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/framework/4.2.0/xml/features
org.ops4j.pax.web-7.0.0           │ mvn:org.ops4j.pax.web/pax-web-features/7.0.0/xml/features
hibernate-validator-osgi-features │ mvn:org.hibernate.validator/hibernate-validator-osgi-karaf-features/6.0.9.Final/xml/features
hibernate-osgi                    │ mvn:org.hibernate/hibernate-osgi/5.2.9.Final/xml/karaf
rome-features                     │ mvn:com.seecago.rome.server/rome-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
pax-jms-0.3.0                     │ mvn:org.ops4j.pax.jms/pax-jms-features/0.3.0/xml/features
org.ops4j.pax.cdi-1.0.0           │ mvn:org.ops4j.pax.cdi/pax-cdi-features/1.0.0/xml/features
cxf-3.1.1                         │ mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/3.1.1/xml/features
standard-4.2.0                    │ mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/standard/4.2.0/xml/features
org.ops4j.pax.jdbc-1.2.0          │ mvn:org.ops4j.pax.jdbc/pax-jdbc-features/1.2.0/xml/features
aries-jpa-2.6.1                   │ mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/jpa-features/2.6.1/xml/features
cxf-dosgi-1.7.0                   │ mvn:org.apache.cxf.dosgi/cxf-dosgi/1.7.0/xml/features
karaf@root()> feature:list | grep -i rome
karaf@root()>

Note: To be able to install my feature I have to rebuild w/o adding the feature-repo and then manually add the repo and the feature. This works w/o making any other changes which seems to suggest that the feature itself is correct.

Regards,

Erwin

Le 13 mai 2018 00:43, Erwin Hogeweg <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> a écrit :

[...]

jbonofre
Hi Erwin,

could you please share the project with me, I will fix your issue.

On 13/05/2018 21:00, Erwin Hogeweg wrote:

> Hi JB,
>
> Thanks for your reply
>
>> eclipselink should be not a startup feature: startup feature is not
>> actually a feature, the bundles contained in the feature are added in
>> etc/startup.properties.
>>
>> So eclipselink should be a boot feature.
>>
>> Same for jndi.
> Thanks, I fixed that.
>
>> The scope runtime on deps means that they will be added in the Karaf
>> repo. I don't see the standard repo in your pom.
> I had the enterprise in there. It was my understanding that is a
> superset of standard.
>
>> I advise to fix that first.
> Added standard repo but no difference.
>
> karaf@root()> feature:repo-list
> Repository                        │ URL
> ──────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
> enterprise-4.2.0                  │
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/enterprise/4.2.0/xml/features
> pax-transx-0.2.0                  │
> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.transx/pax-transx-features/0.2.0/xml/features
> framework-4.2.0                   │
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/framework/4.2.0/xml/features
> org.ops4j.pax.web-7.0.0           │
> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.web/pax-web-features/7.0.0/xml/features
> hibernate-validator-osgi-features │
> mvn:org.hibernate.validator/hibernate-validator-osgi-karaf-features/6.0.9.Final/xml/features
> hibernate-osgi                    │
> mvn:org.hibernate/hibernate-osgi/5.2.9.Final/xml/karaf
> rome-features                     │
> mvn:com.seecago.rome.server/rome-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
> pax-jms-0.3.0                     │
> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.jms/pax-jms-features/0.3.0/xml/features
> org.ops4j.pax.cdi-1.0.0           │
> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.cdi/pax-cdi-features/1.0.0/xml/features
> cxf-3.1.1                         │
> mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/3.1.1/xml/features
> standard-4.2.0                    │
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/standard/4.2.0/xml/features
> org.ops4j.pax.jdbc-1.2.0          │
> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.jdbc/pax-jdbc-features/1.2.0/xml/features
> aries-jpa-2.6.1                   │
> mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/jpa-features/2.6.1/xml/features
> cxf-dosgi-1.7.0                   │
> mvn:org.apache.cxf.dosgi/cxf-dosgi/1.7.0/xml/features
> karaf@root()> feature:list | grep -i rome
> karaf@root()>
>
> Note: To be able to install my feature I have to rebuild w/o adding the
> feature-repo and then manually add the repo and the feature. This works
> w/o making any other changes which seems to suggest that the feature
> itself is correct.
>

> Regards,
>
> Erwin

>> On 13/05/2018 17:12, Erwin Hogeweg wrote:
>>> François,

>>> Attached.
>>> Erwin

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

fpapon
Hi Erwin,

I'm agree, it will be better that you share your project with JB ;)

François

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

Erwin Hogeweg
Hi François,

> I'm agree, it will be better that you share your project with JB ;)
I did. I sent it in a private email.

Thanks,

Erwin

> François
>

> Le 13/05/2018 à 23:08, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :
>> Hi Erwin,
>>
>> could you please share the project with me, I will fix your issue.

>> On 13/05/2018 21:00, Erwin Hogeweg wrote:
>>> Hi JB,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply

>>> Thanks, I fixed that.

>>> I had the enterprise in there. It was my understanding that is a
>>> superset of standard.

>>> Added standard repo but no difference.
>>>
>>> karaf@root()> feature:repo-list
>>> Repository                        │ URL
>>> ──────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
>>>
>>> enterprise-4.2.0                  │
>>> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/enterprise/4.2.0/xml/features
>>> pax-transx-0.2.0                  │
>>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.transx/pax-transx-features/0.2.0/xml/features
>>> framework-4.2.0                   │
>>> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/framework/4.2.0/xml/features
>>> org.ops4j.pax.web-7.0.0           │
>>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.web/pax-web-features/7.0.0/xml/features
>>> hibernate-validator-osgi-features │
>>> mvn:org.hibernate.validator/hibernate-validator-osgi-karaf-features/6.0.9.Final/xml/features
>>> hibernate-osgi                    │
>>> mvn:org.hibernate/hibernate-osgi/5.2.9.Final/xml/karaf
>>> rome-features                     │
>>> mvn:com.seecago.rome.server/rome-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
>>> pax-jms-0.3.0                     │
>>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.jms/pax-jms-features/0.3.0/xml/features
>>> org.ops4j.pax.cdi-1.0.0           │
>>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.cdi/pax-cdi-features/1.0.0/xml/features
>>> cxf-3.1.1                         │
>>> mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/3.1.1/xml/features
>>> standard-4.2.0                    │
>>> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/standard/4.2.0/xml/features
>>> org.ops4j.pax.jdbc-1.2.0          │
>>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.jdbc/pax-jdbc-features/1.2.0/xml/features
>>> aries-jpa-2.6.1                   │
>>> mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/jpa-features/2.6.1/xml/features
>>> cxf-dosgi-1.7.0                   │
>>> mvn:org.apache.cxf.dosgi/cxf-dosgi/1.7.0/xml/features
>>> karaf@root()> feature:list | grep -i rome
>>> karaf@root()>
>>>
>>> Note: To be able to install my feature I have to rebuild w/o adding
>>> the feature-repo and then manually add the repo and the feature. This
>>> works w/o making any other changes which seems to suggest that the
>>> feature itself is correct.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Erwin

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

jbonofre
Hi Erwin,

I think I missed your e-mail. Can you please send to [hidden email] ?

On 14/05/2018 12:14, Erwin Hogeweg wrote:

> Hi François,
>
>> I'm agree, it will be better that you share your project with JB ;)
> I did. I sent it in a private email.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erwin
>

>> François
>>

>> Le 13/05/2018 à 23:08, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :
>>> Hi Erwin,
>>>
>>> could you please share the project with me, I will fix your issue.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

Erwin Hogeweg

Did you have a change to take a look? Just curious if you found anything odd/wrong in my project.

Kind Regards,

Erwin

> Hi Erwin,
>
> could you please share the project with me, I will fix your issue.

> On 13/05/2018 21:00, Erwin Hogeweg wrote:
>> Hi JB,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply
>>
>>> eclipselink should be not a startup feature: startup feature is not
>>> actually a feature, the bundles contained in the feature are added
>>> in etc/startup.properties.
>>>
>>> So eclipselink should be a boot feature.
>>>
>>> Same for jndi.
>> Thanks, I fixed that.
>>
>>> The scope runtime on deps means that they will be added in the Karaf
>>> repo. I don't see the standard repo in your pom.
>> I had the enterprise in there. It was my understanding that is a
>> superset of standard.
>>
>>> I advise to fix that first.
>> Added standard repo but no difference.
>>
>> karaf@root()> feature:repo-list
>> Repository                        │ URL
>> ──────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
>>
>> enterprise-4.2.0                  │
>> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/enterprise/4.2.0/xml/features
>> pax-transx-0.2.0                  │
>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.transx/pax-transx-features/0.2.0/xml/features
>> framework-4.2.0                   │
>> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/framework/4.2.0/xml/features
>> org.ops4j.pax.web-7.0.0           │
>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.web/pax-web-features/7.0.0/xml/features
>> hibernate-validator-osgi-features │
>> mvn:org.hibernate.validator/hibernate-validator-osgi-karaf-features/6.0.9.Final/xml/features
>> hibernate-osgi                    │
>> mvn:org.hibernate/hibernate-osgi/5.2.9.Final/xml/karaf
>> rome-features                     │
>> mvn:com.seecago.rome.server/rome-features/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
>> pax-jms-0.3.0                     │
>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.jms/pax-jms-features/0.3.0/xml/features
>> org.ops4j.pax.cdi-1.0.0           │
>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.cdi/pax-cdi-features/1.0.0/xml/features
>> cxf-3.1.1                         │
>> mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/3.1.1/xml/features
>> standard-4.2.0                    │
>> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/standard/4.2.0/xml/features
>> org.ops4j.pax.jdbc-1.2.0          │
>> mvn:org.ops4j.pax.jdbc/pax-jdbc-features/1.2.0/xml/features
>> aries-jpa-2.6.1                   │
>> mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/jpa-features/2.6.1/xml/features
>> cxf-dosgi-1.7.0                   │
>> mvn:org.apache.cxf.dosgi/cxf-dosgi/1.7.0/xml/features
>> karaf@root()> feature:list | grep -i rome
>> karaf@root()>
>>
>> Note: To be able to install my feature I have to rebuild w/o adding
>> the feature-repo and then manually add the repo and the feature. This
>> works w/o making any other changes which seems to suggest that the
>> feature itself is correct.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Erwin
>>

>>> Regards
>>> JB

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

I'm on it right now (other fixes on the fly). Sorry for the delay.

pEpkey.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Odd feature repo behavior in 4.2.0 custom distro

Erwin Hogeweg
Hi JB,

> I'm on it right now (other fixes on the fly). Sorry for the delay.
No need to apologize, We know you have a million things on your plate.

Is this in scope for 4.2.1? And please let me know if there is anything I try/test/fix/whatever. Would be glad to help.

Regards,

Erwin