[PROPOSAL] Apache Karaf Decanter 2.0.0

I'm working on the preparation of the next Decanter release.

I would like to bump Decanter version to 2.0.0 for the following reasons:

1. Upgrade to OSGi Spec 6.0.0, especially for Compendium & DS. It means that
Decanter 2.0.0 will require Karaf >= 3.0.0.
2. Up to now, Decanter provided embedded feature for Elasticsearch, Kibana,
OrientDB. Those features will still be present in Decanter and they won't be the
recommended approach. We encourage users to use external instances for
production. For instance, Kibana 6 is not easy to ship in Karaf (due to
node.js), and I think it's more reliable to use a "native" Kibana instance.
3. We will introduce new webconsole and shell commands for Decanter. It will be
base on Karaf 4 style.

Thoughts ?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Karaf Decanter 2.0.0

Andrea Cosentino
+1.

Thanks JB.

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

On Monday, January 8, 2018, 2:25:34 PM GMT+1, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm working on the preparation of the next Decanter release.

I would like to bump Decanter version to 2.0.0 for the following reasons:

1. Upgrade to OSGi Spec 6.0.0, especially for Compendium & DS. It means that
Decanter 2.0.0 will require Karaf >= 3.0.0.
2. Up to now, Decanter provided embedded feature for Elasticsearch, Kibana,
OrientDB. Those features will still be present in Decanter and they won't be the
recommended approach. We encourage users to use external instances for
production. For instance, Kibana 6 is not easy to ship in Karaf (due to
node.js), and I think it's more reliable to use a "native" Kibana instance.
3. We will introduce new webconsole and shell commands for Decanter. It will be
base on Karaf 4 style.

Thoughts ?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Karaf Decanter 2.0.0

+1 (non-binding)

François

Le 08/01/2018 à 14:25, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on the preparation of the next Decanter release.
>
> I would like to bump Decanter version to 2.0.0 for the following reasons:
>
> 1. Upgrade to OSGi Spec 6.0.0, especially for Compendium & DS. It
> means that Decanter 2.0.0 will require Karaf >= 3.0.0.
> 2. Up to now, Decanter provided embedded feature for Elasticsearch,
> Kibana, OrientDB. Those features will still be present in Decanter and
> they won't be the recommended approach. We encourage users to use
> external instances for production. For instance, Kibana 6 is not easy
> to ship in Karaf (due to node.js), and I think it's more reliable to
> use a "native" Kibana instance.
> 3. We will introduce new webconsole and shell commands for Decanter.
> It will be base on Karaf 4 style.
>
> Thoughts ?

Francois Papon
Openrun : https://www.openrun.re

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Karaf Decanter 2.0.0

like the idea :)

so +1 from my side.

regards, Achim

--