[PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

[PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

jbonofre
Hi guys,

based on what Guillaume started already, I moved forward during the week
end on OSGi R7 support in Karaf.

I think I will have something fully ready this week (during ApacheCon ;)).

Once my PR is ready, I propose the following plan:

- create the karaf-4.2.x branch with the current master
- bump version on master to 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT and merge the R7 PR
- "flag" 4.1.x branch as non active

Thoughts ?

By the way, I will be at ApacheCon Montréal from tomorrow up to Thursday
afternoon. If you want to meet, talk about Karaf and related, please let
me know !

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

It sounds good for me :)

Thanks !

Regards,

François Papon
[hidden email]

Le 24/09/2018 à 12:01, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :

> Hi guys,
>
> based on what Guillaume started already, I moved forward during the week
> end on OSGi R7 support in Karaf.
>
> I think I will have something fully ready this week (during ApacheCon ;)).
>
> Once my PR is ready, I propose the following plan:
>
> - create the karaf-4.2.x branch with the current master
> - bump version on master to 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT and merge the R7 PR
> - "flag" 4.1.x branch as non active
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> By the way, I will be at ApacheCon Montréal from tomorrow up to Thursday
> afternoon. If you want to meet, talk about Karaf and related, please let
> me know !

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

Grzegorz Grzybek
Hello

+1!

regards
Grzegorz Grzybek

pon., 24 wrz 2018 o 11:41 Francois Papon <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> Hi JB,
>
> It sounds good for me :)
>
> Thanks !
>
> Regards,
>
> François Papon
> [hidden email]
>
> Le 24/09/2018 à 12:01, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > based on what Guillaume started already, I moved forward during the week
> > end on OSGi R7 support in Karaf.
> >
> > I think I will have something fully ready this week (during ApacheCon
> ;)).
> >
> > Once my PR is ready, I propose the following plan:
> >
> > - create the karaf-4.2.x branch with the current master
> > - bump version on master to 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT and merge the R7 PR
> > - "flag" 4.1.x branch as non active
> >
> > Thoughts ?
> >
> > By the way, I will be at ApacheCon Montréal from tomorrow up to Thursday
> > afternoon. If you want to meet, talk about Karaf and related, please let
> > me know !
> >
> > Regards
> > JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

Achim Nierbeck-3
+1

regards, Achim

Am Mo., 24. Sep. 2018 um 12:28 Uhr schrieb Andrea Cosentino
<[hidden email]>:

> +1.
>
> Thanks JB
>

> On Monday, September 24, 2018, 10:01:48 AM GMT+2, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi guys,
>
> based on what Guillaume started already, I moved forward during the week
> end on OSGi R7 support in Karaf.
>
> I think I will have something fully ready this week (during ApacheCon ;)).
>
> Once my PR is ready, I propose the following plan:
>
> - create the karaf-4.2.x branch with the current master
> - bump version on master to 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT and merge the R7 PR
> - "flag" 4.1.x branch as non active
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> By the way, I will be at ApacheCon Montréal from tomorrow up to Thursday
> afternoon. If you want to meet, talk about Karaf and related, please let
> me know !

Apache Member
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

jgoodyear
+1
On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 11:33 AM Achim Nierbeck
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> regards, Achim
>
> Am Mo., 24. Sep. 2018 um 12:28 Uhr schrieb Andrea Cosentino
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > +1.
> >
> > Thanks JB
> >

> > On Monday, September 24, 2018, 10:01:48 AM GMT+2, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hi guys,
> >
> > based on what Guillaume started already, I moved forward during the week
> > end on OSGi R7 support in Karaf.
> >
> > I think I will have something fully ready this week (during ApacheCon ;)).
> >
> > Once my PR is ready, I propose the following plan:
> >
> > - create the karaf-4.2.x branch with the current master
> > - bump version on master to 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT and merge the R7 PR
> > - "flag" 4.1.x branch as non active
> >
> > Thoughts ?
> >
> > By the way, I will be at ApacheCon Montréal from tomorrow up to Thursday
> > afternoon. If you want to meet, talk about Karaf and related, please let
> > me know !
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> > [hidden email]
> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
> > Talend - http://www.talend.com
> >

> --
>
> Apache Member
> Project Lead
> blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

Just a quick update on this one.

I have a set of local branches that I would like to merge on master
before cutting the 4.2.x branch.
Then I will rebase my R7 update branch.

I keep you posted.

> Hi guys,
>
> based on what Guillaume started already, I moved forward during the week
> end on OSGi R7 support in Karaf.
>
> I think I will have something fully ready this week (during ApacheCon ;)).
>
> Once my PR is ready, I propose the following plan:
>
> - create the karaf-4.2.x branch with the current master
> - bump version on master to 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT and merge the R7 PR
> - "flag" 4.1.x branch as non active
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> By the way, I will be at ApacheCon Montréal from tomorrow up to Thursday
> afternoon. If you want to meet, talk about Karaf and related, please let
> me know !

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

Hi guys,

just a quick update about this. Even if I'm in vacation this week, I
moved forward ;)

My local branch regarding Karaf 4.3.x with R7 support is almost done.

I plan to cut 4.2.2 pretty soon (I will start the Jira triage today) and
then I will prepare a 4.3.0.RC1.

On the other hand, Karaf Vineyard is on track, a description e-mail and
donation proposal should happen in a couple of weeks.

Finally, Winegrower is also on track, we (Romain and I) added support of
@Header (R7) yesterday and we have some new stuff on the fly. As for
Karaf Vineyard, an introduction and donation e-mail should happen in the
coming weeks.

Stay tuned !!

> Hi guys,
>
> based on what Guillaume started already, I moved forward during the week
> end on OSGi R7 support in Karaf.
>
> I think I will have something fully ready this week (during ApacheCon ;)).
>
> Once my PR is ready, I propose the following plan:
>
> - create the karaf-4.2.x branch with the current master
> - bump version on master to 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT and merge the R7 PR
> - "flag" 4.1.x branch as non active
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> By the way, I will be at ApacheCon Montréal from tomorrow up to Thursday
> afternoon. If you want to meet, talk about Karaf and related, please let
> me know !

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

luke
I think it would be good to cut 4.1.7 release (I am actually depending
on it now). I messed up tooling in few minor releases (.5, and .6) by
single commit. After that we could let 4.1.x go into low maintenance mode.

My reasoning is that migration between minor releases of Karaf become a
problem - the buggy commit I introduced come out during migration from
4.0.8 to 4.1.4. I did an attempt last week to move back from 4.2 tooling
to 4.1 and ran into trap I left myself. I also had smaller troubles in
tooling area. My point is that some of migrations happens quite late and
not all projects are following upstream. I know they should, but
sometimes its not easy to drop one branch and switch to completely new one.

Some of ODL community members complained about migration and I think
their points are valid. Some parameters in tooling haven't been
deprecated but got renamed without notice. The only one example I can
point at this moment is 4.0 and 4.1 profilesUri which is profilesUris in
4.2.
I know its small problem and easy to fix, however things like that hit
our users much harder than us.

Cheers,
Lukasz

> Just a quick update on this one.
>
> I have a set of local branches that I would like to merge on master
> before cutting the 4.2.x branch.
> Then I will rebase my R7 update branch.
>
> I keep you posted.

> On 24/09/2018 10:01, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> based on what Guillaume started already, I moved forward during the week
>> end on OSGi R7 support in Karaf.
>>
>> I think I will have something fully ready this week (during ApacheCon ;)).
>>
>> Once my PR is ready, I propose the following plan:
>>
>> - create the karaf-4.2.x branch with the current master
>> - bump version on master to 4.3.0-SNAPSHOT and merge the R7 PR
>> - "flag" 4.1.x branch as non active
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> By the way, I will be at ApacheCon Montréal from tomorrow up to Thursday
>> afternoon. If you want to meet, talk about Karaf and related, please let
>> me know !

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7

jbonofre
Hi Lukasz,

Maybe you missed the schedule on the website.

4.1.7 is planned on November 16th.

4.2.2 is planned on November 23rd.

We agreed to have a stable release cadence (a release every 3 month).

I will cut karaf-4.2.x once Karaf 4.2.2 is out.