[PROPOSAL] - Stories page on website

As we discuss on Slack, I pushed a PR about adding a stories page on the
website to talk about Karaf ecosystem :

https://github.com/fpapon/karaf-site/tree/STORIES

I made a proposal structure of the page and add some stories after
talking with JB.

This is a WIP so you can complete or fix it you want :)

regards,

--
François Papon
[hidden email]

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] - Stories page on website

jgoodyear
+1 fantastic!
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 10:17 AM Francois Papon
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As we discuss on Slack, I pushed a PR about adding a stories page on the
> website to talk about Karaf ecosystem :
>
> https://github.com/fpapon/karaf-site/tree/STORIES
>
> I made a proposal structure of the page and add some stories after
> talking with JB.
>
> This is a WIP so you can complete or fix it you want :)
>
> regards,
>
> --
> François Papon

Re: [PROPOSAL] - Stories page on website

luke
> As we discuss on Slack,
Did you mean IRC maybe? I haven't noticed that we have any Slack channel.

> I pushed a PR about adding a stories page on the
> website to talk about Karaf ecosystem :
>
> https://github.com/fpapon/karaf-site/tree/STORIES
>
> I made a proposal structure of the page and add some stories after
> talking with JB.
>
> This is a WIP so you can complete or fix it you want :)

I think it is very good idea to show real use cases of Karaf. There are
many companies around which use Karaf and we implicitly know that but
can not tell that explicitly. We either learned by finding posts from
some companies and their employees on our mailing lists, direct contact
with such people at various events or simply from job offers published
around which mention (Apache) Karaf.

It would be good if we could publish explicitly not only open source
projects but - as you did - also commercial products based on Apache Karaf.
For products I think we need some kind of agreement or confirmation to
expose such information in public.

I checked your site fork and I am not sure if WebSphere really uses
Karaf. Other thing is that we need to respect trademark usage. Not sure
if we can/should mention WebSphere alone or it as IBM WebSphere, but for
that we most likely can ask legal@.
Usually things are quite opposite - companies claim compatibility or
support for enterprise version of Apache Software Foundation project
such Datastax -> Apache Cassandra and so on.

Cheers,
Lukasz

Re: [PROPOSAL] - Stories page on website

jbonofre
Hi

We have a slack channel on the official ASF slack.

Le 27 août 2018 à 18:18, à 18:18, "Łukasz Dywicki" <[hidden email]> a écrit:

>> As we discuss on Slack,
>Did you mean IRC maybe? I haven't noticed that we have any Slack
>channel.
>

>> I pushed a PR about adding a stories page on the
>> website to talk about Karaf ecosystem :
>>
>> https://github.com/fpapon/karaf-site/tree/STORIES
>>
>> I made a proposal structure of the page and add some stories after
>> talking with JB.
>>
>> This is a WIP so you can complete or fix it you want :)
>
>I think it is very good idea to show real use cases of Karaf. There are
>many companies around which use Karaf and we implicitly know that but
>can not tell that explicitly. We either learned by finding posts from
>some companies and their employees on our mailing lists, direct contact
>with such people at various events or simply from job offers published
>around which mention (Apache) Karaf.
>
>It would be good if we could publish explicitly not only open source
>projects but - as you did - also commercial products based on Apache
>Karaf.
>For products I think we need some kind of agreement or confirmation to
>expose such information in public.
>
>I checked your site fork and I am not sure if WebSphere really uses
>Karaf. Other thing is that we need to respect trademark usage. Not sure
>if we can/should mention WebSphere alone or it as IBM WebSphere, but
>for
>that we most likely can ask legal@.
>Usually things are quite opposite - companies claim compatibility or
>support for enterprise version of Apache Software Foundation project
>such Datastax -> Apache Cassandra and so on.
>
>Cheers,
>Lukasz

Re: [PROPOSAL] - Stories page on website

Hi Lukasz,

There is an official Slack channel :
https://the-asf.slack.com/messages/CB5JNLLBW

I'm agree about the trademark usage and as you said, may be we could ask
for that.

regards,

François Papon
[hidden email]

Le 27/08/2018 à 20:18, Łukasz Dywicki a écrit :

>> As we discuss on Slack,
> Did you mean IRC maybe? I haven't noticed that we have any Slack channel.
>

>> I pushed a PR about adding a stories page on the
>> website to talk about Karaf ecosystem :
>>
>> https://github.com/fpapon/karaf-site/tree/STORIES
>>
>> I made a proposal structure of the page and add some stories after
>> talking with JB.
>>
>> This is a WIP so you can complete or fix it you want :)
> I think it is very good idea to show real use cases of Karaf. There are
> many companies around which use Karaf and we implicitly know that but
> can not tell that explicitly. We either learned by finding posts from
> some companies and their employees on our mailing lists, direct contact
> with such people at various events or simply from job offers published
> around which mention (Apache) Karaf.
>
> It would be good if we could publish explicitly not only open source
> projects but - as you did - also commercial products based on Apache Karaf.
> For products I think we need some kind of agreement or confirmation to
> expose such information in public.
>
> I checked your site fork and I am not sure if WebSphere really uses
> Karaf. Other thing is that we need to respect trademark usage. Not sure
> if we can/should mention WebSphere alone or it as IBM WebSphere, but for
> that we most likely can ask legal@.
> Usually things are quite opposite - companies claim compatibility or
> support for enterprise version of Apache Software Foundation project
> such Datastax -> Apache Cassandra and so on.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukasz

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org