Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

We identified several issues in Karaf 4.1.1, especially in the shell console and
the instances. We are working to fix all those issues and we plan a release in
the coming weeks (let's say roughly around 2 or 3 weeks in order to give us to
finalize touches).
If you have a chance to test SNAPSHOT it would be great.

On the other hand, I identified an issue in Decanter with the log collector due
to the pax log4j2 upgrade. I'm investigating (I don't know yet if the issue is
in pax logging or decanter). Some improvements and bug fixes are in the way, so
a Decanter 1.4.0 release will happen pretty soon.

Re: Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

Kai Kreuzer
Hi JB,

Thanks. I had tried Karaf 4.1.1 and indeed came across issues with the shell console.

I have now just tried 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT (within the openHAB distro) and all seems to work smoothly!

The only new issue that I encountered in comparison to 4.1.1 is the log message

15:05:07.198 [WARN ] [rvice.jetty.internal.JettyFactoryImpl] - To many HttpConfig elements found, will use default!

which seems to be introduced by https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/PAXWEB-1088. Not sure if this is anything to worry about - maybe Achim can shed some light on it...

What is your current schedule regarding the release of 4.1.2?

Many thanks for all your work!
Kai

Re: Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

Achim Nierbeck
Hi Kai,

that warning happens if you have more then one
*org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConfiguration
*in your jetty.xml. [1]
Just make sure you only have one of them, like in [2]

regards, Achim

[1] -
https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.web/blob/master/pax-web-jetty/src/main/java/org/ops4j/pax/web/service/jetty/internal/JettyFactoryImpl.java#L230-L233
[2] -
https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.web/blob/master/samples/jetty-config-fragment/src/main/resources/jetty.xml#L21-L33

> Hi JB,
>
> Thanks. I had tried Karaf 4.1.1 and indeed  came across issues
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5111?
> focusedCommentId=16088505&page=com.atlassian.jira.
> plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16088505>
> with the shell console.
>
> I have now just tried 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT (within the openHAB distro) and all
> seems to work smoothly!
>
> The only new issue that I encountered in comparison to 4.1.1 is the log
> message
>

> which seems to be introduced by https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/PAXWEB-1088
> .
> Not sure if this is anything to worry about - maybe Achim can shed some
> light on it...
>
> What is your current schedule regarding the release of 4.1.2?
>
> Many thanks for all your work!
> Kai

Apache Member
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

Thanks for the update.

I'm doing the Jira triage right now. I should be able to cut 4.1.2 soon.

Decanter 1.4.0 is ready (I fixed the latest issue yesterday). I will cut the
release tonight or tomorrow.

On 07/16/2017 10:21 AM, Kai Kreuzer wrote:

> Hi JB,
>
> Thanks. I had tried Karaf 4.1.1 and indeed  came across issues
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5111?focusedCommentId=16088505&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16088505>
> with the shell console.
>
> I have now just tried 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT (within the openHAB distro) and all
> seems to work smoothly!
>
> The only new issue that I encountered in comparison to 4.1.1 is the log
> message
>

> which seems to be introduced by https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/PAXWEB-1088.
> Not sure if this is anything to worry about - maybe Achim can shed some
> light on it...
>
> What is your current schedule regarding the release of 4.1.2?
>
> Many thanks for all your work!
> Kai

Re: Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

Steinar Bang

> Hi JB,
> Thanks. I had tried Karaf 4.1.1 and indeed  came across issues
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5111?focusedCommentId=16088505&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16088505>
> with the shell console.

I have two troublesome issues in 4.1.1:

KARAF-5174 crashes karaf when uninstalling a feature.

KARAF-5115 hangs karaf during the initial install of a feature.

Both issues have workarounds (for KARAF-5174 it's explicitly installing
the liquibase-core feature so that it won't be uninstalled when I
uninstall my database feature, for KARAF-5115 it's killing the hanging
Karaf and restart karaf).

What makes them troublesome is that they both crashes karaf.

It doesn't look like they are targeted to be fixed for for 4.1.2?

Re: Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

jbonofre
Hi Steinar,

did you try with 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT ?

I will try to reproduce the issue.

On 07/16/2017 11:13 PM, Steinar Bang wrote:

>> Hi JB,
>> Thanks. I had tried Karaf 4.1.1 and indeed  came across issues
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5111?focusedCommentId=16088505&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16088505>
>> with the shell console.
>
> I have two troublesome issues in 4.1.1:
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5174
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5115
>
> KARAF-5174 crashes karaf when uninstalling a feature.
>
> KARAF-5115 hangs karaf during the initial install of a feature.
>
> Both issues have workarounds (for KARAF-5174 it's explicitly installing
> the liquibase-core feature so that it won't be uninstalled when I
> uninstall my database feature, for KARAF-5115 it's killing the hanging
> Karaf and restart karaf).
>
> What makes them troublesome is that they both crashes karaf.
>
> It doesn't look like they are targeted to be fixed for for 4.1.2?

Re: Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

Steinar Bang

> did you try with 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT ?

> I will try to reproduce the issue.

I was able to reproduce both KARAF-5174 and KARAF-5115 with
4.1.2-SNAPSHOT.

I put detailed descriptions of what I did and the karaf.log resulting
from the attempts on the Jira issues.

Re: Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

jbonofre
Thanks ! Much appreciated.

I'm completing Decanter 1.4.0 release now, I will resume Karaf 4.1.2 fixes just
after.

On 07/17/2017 11:04 AM, Steinar Bang wrote:

>> did you try with 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT ?
>
>> I will try to reproduce the issue.
>
> I was able to reproduce both KARAF-5174 and KARAF-5115 with
> 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT.
>
> I put detailed descriptions of what I did and the karaf.log resulting
> from the attempts on the Jira issues.

Re: Preparing Apache Karaf "Container" 4.1.2 and Decanter 1.4.0 releases

Kai Kreuzer
Achim Nierbeck wrote
that warning happens if you have more then one org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConfiguration in your jetty.xml.
Indeed, thanks (the message is actually pretty clear, I just didn't think that our jetty.xml could potentially have an issue...).
Btw, there is a typo in the log message: It should be "Too", not "to". :-)

Cheers, Kai.