Testframework independence from OS

Giacomo Coletta
Hi,

I've used successfully the new Testframework 0.4.1 for karaf to test the status of a custom karaf distribution for Windows. The test works on windows.
Then i moved the test on a Jenkins instance we use for CI that runs on a Linux server, and i was expecting the test code to be not suitable for this environment.
Surprisingly instead the test runs successfully also on Linux (my distribution is for Windows).

My question is: an integration test built using the Pax Exam Tesframework for Karaf is actually independent from the underlying OS ?
In other words, can i actually be sure that if a test of a distribution for windows was run succesfully on linux, the distribution actually works also on windows ? And to which extent ?

For example, i don't think that the testframework uses the karaf.bat script to start the distribution under test. What is then the mechanism used to start the karaf instance ?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Giacomo

Re: Testframework independence from OS

Andreas Pieber
Hey Colleta,

well, actually there are two different "modes" in the karaf test framework. The default method runs your distribution using a native java launcher. If you want to run the native scripts you best take a look at the documentation [1]; especially the KarafDistributionKitConfigurationOption might be interesting for you.

I hope this helps! If you need any further information or deeper insights pls let me know!

Kind regards,
Andreas

[1] https://github.com/openengsb/labs-paxexam-karaf/wiki/Commands

Giacomo

Re: Testframework independence from OS

Giacomo Coletta
Hi Andreas,

now that you tell me, I already saw the  KarafDistributionKitConfigurationOption but completely forgot it. I think that should solve my problem.

Thank you for the hint !

Giacomo