Using features to extend existing configuration

Using features to extend existing configuration

jbernhardt@talend.com
Hi Karaf Users & Developers,

for me it looks like that there is currently no way to extend an existing configuration file by installing a feature. But this is, what I would need for my use case and what would be great IMHO for other users as well.

Here is my idea.

If a property already exists within a configuration file this property should not be changed. But if a configuration file does not contain a certain key, this key=value should be added at the end of the configuration file.

Example:
<config name="com.foo.bar">
  myProperty = myValue
</config>

If com.foo.bar.cfg does not contain myProperty before the feature containing this example was installed, then myProperty=myValue should be added to com.foo.bar.cfg file.

This would make it possible to extend existing configuration files for custom needs. A general use-case could be logging. My application would like to add a logger configuration in case this logger is not configured already.

2. Example
<config name="org.ops4j.pax.logging">
  log4j.logger.org.apache.activemq.broker.util.LoggingBrokerPlugin=INFO, stdout, osgi:VmLogAppender
</config>

WDYT?

Best regards.
Jan