[VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

[VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.

This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:

- Better Java 9/10/11 support
- Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
images will be available soon using these scripts
- Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
- Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
- Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
distribution (and using in the itests)

For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:

Release Notes:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945

Git tag:
karaf-4.2.1

Staging Repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release
[ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

fpapon
+1 (non-binding)

Thanks !

regards,

François Papon
[hidden email]

Le 18/08/2018 à 17:34, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
>
> This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
> dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
>
> - Better Java 9/10/11 support
> - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
> images will be available soon using these scripts
> - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
> - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
> - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
> distribution (and using in the itests)
>
> For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
>
> Release Notes:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
>
> Git tag:
> karaf-4.2.1
>
> Staging Repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release

> Thanks,

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

cschneider
+1

Found some issues on windows:
When unpacking the zip on windows I get path too long for
BookingServiceImpl.java.
I think some of the examples are layered too deeply.

Another issue on windows is with the shell. If I do feature:install <tab>
then a long list of features appears. If I scroll thorugh the results using
tab the screen soon becomes totally garbled.

So nothing very big but some things for 4.2.2 I guess.

Christian

Am Sa., 18. Aug. 2018 um 15:34 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
>
> This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
> dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
>
> - Better Java 9/10/11 support
> - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
> images will be available soon using these scripts
> - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
> - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
> - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
> distribution (and using in the itests)
>
> For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
>
> Release Notes:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
>
> Git tag:
> karaf-4.2.1
>
> Staging Repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release

> Thanks,

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

jbonofre
Thanks for the report Christian. I will create the corresponding Jira to
fix that for 4.2.2.

> +1
>
> Found some issues on windows:
> When unpacking the zip on windows I get path too long for
> BookingServiceImpl.java.
> I think some of the examples are layered too deeply.
>
> Another issue on windows is with the shell. If I do feature:install <tab>
> then a long list of features appears. If I scroll thorugh the results using
> tab the screen soon becomes totally garbled.
>
> So nothing very big but some things for 4.2.2 I guess.
>
> Christian
>
> Am Sa., 18. Aug. 2018 um 15:34 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
>>
>> This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
>> dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
>>
>> - Better Java 9/10/11 support
>> - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
>> images will be available soon using these scripts
>> - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
>> - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
>> - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
>> distribution (and using in the itests)
>>
>> For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
>>
>> Release Notes:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
>>
>> Git tag:
>> karaf-4.2.1
>>
>> Staging Repository:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
>>
>> Please vote to approve this release:
>>
>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>> [ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)
>>
>> This vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

+1 (binding)

> I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
>
> This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
> dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
>
> - Better Java 9/10/11 support
> - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
> images will be available soon using these scripts
> - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
> - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
> - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
> distribution (and using in the itests)
>
> For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
>
> Release Notes:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
>
> Git tag:
> karaf-4.2.1
>
> Staging Repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release

> Thanks,

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

Achim Nierbeck-3
+1 (binding)

regards, Achim

Am Sa., 18. Aug. 2018 um 20:58 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
[hidden email]>:

> +1 (binding)

> On 18/08/2018 15:34, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
> >
> > This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
> > dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
> >
> > - Better Java 9/10/11 support
> > - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
> > images will be available soon using these scripts
> > - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
> > - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
> > - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
> > distribution (and using in the itests)
> >
> > For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
> >
> > Release Notes:
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
> >
> > Git tag:
> > karaf-4.2.1
> >
> > Staging Repository:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
> >
> > Please vote to approve this release:
> >
> > [ ] +1 Approve the release
> > [ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)
> >
> > This vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Regards
> > JB

Apache Member
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

jgoodyear
+1 (binding)

Cheers,
Jamie
On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 7:15 PM Achim Nierbeck
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> regards, Achim
>
> Am Sa., 18. Aug. 2018 um 20:58 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > +1 (binding)
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> >
> > On 18/08/2018 15:34, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
> > >
> > > This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
> > > dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
> > >
> > > - Better Java 9/10/11 support
> > > - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
> > > images will be available soon using these scripts
> > > - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
> > > - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
> > > - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
> > > distribution (and using in the itests)
> > >
> > > For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
> > >
> > > Release Notes:
> > >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
> > >
> > > Git tag:
> > > karaf-4.2.1
> > >
> > > Staging Repository:
> > > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
> > >
> > > Please vote to approve this release:
> > >
> > > [ ] +1 Approve the release
> > > [ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)
> > >
> > > This vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Regards
> > > JB
> > >

> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> > [hidden email]
> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
> > Talend - http://www.talend.com
> >

> --
>
> Apache Member
> Project Lead
> blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

Freeman-2
+1 (binding)

Thanks!
-------------
Freeman(Yue) Fang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat

> On Aug 18, 2018, at 9:34 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
>
> This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
> dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
>
> - Better Java 9/10/11 support
> - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
> images will be available soon using these scripts
> - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
> - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
> - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
> distribution (and using in the itests)
>
> For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
>
> Release Notes:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
>
> Git tag:
> karaf-4.2.1
>
> Staging Repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release

> Thanks,

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

Grzegorz Grzybek
+1 (non-binding)

regards
Grzegorz Grzybek

pon., 20 sie 2018 o 06:06 Freeman Fang <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> +1 (binding)
>
> Thanks!
> -------------
> Freeman(Yue) Fang
>
> Red Hat, Inc.
> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
>

> > On Aug 18, 2018, at 9:34 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
> >
> > This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
> > dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
> >
> > - Better Java 9/10/11 support
> > - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
> > images will be available soon using these scripts
> > - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
> > - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
> > - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
> > distribution (and using in the itests)
> >
> > For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
> >
> > Release Notes:
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
> >
> > Git tag:
> > karaf-4.2.1
> >
> > Staging Repository:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
> >
> > Please vote to approve this release:
> >
> > [ ] +1 Approve the release
> > [ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)
> >
> > This vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Regards
> > JB
> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> > [hidden email]
> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
> > Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

Andrea Cosentino
+1 (non-binding)

Thanks JB

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

On Saturday, August 18, 2018, 3:34:37 PM GMT+2, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

maggu2810
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

Fabian Lange-2
(Sorry for this mail not being threaded. I messed up my dev
subscription and now gmail wont make it threaded)

I hereby vote on the 4.2.1 Karaf Container release:
+1 (non-binding)

We built our custom distribution and tested it on linux and windows.
start script fixes for solaris had been backported by us earlier and
are working fine.

The only thing I am not too excited about is an additional 4MB in
download size. That is due to the need of jaxb for features parsing.
And for improved Java 9 / 10 compatibility we added servicemix jaxb
implementation and api.

Fabian

AW: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

roedll
+1 (non-binding)

regards,
Lukas

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

Toni Menzel-2
+1 (non-binding)

Tested on a custom distribution that upgraded from 4.2.0 without a visible
issue. (running OpenJDK).

* What is Developer Ergonomics <https://medium.com/rebaze>**? *

*www.rebaze.de <http://www.rebaze.de/> | www.rebaze.com
<http://www.rebaze.com/> | @rebazeio <https://twitter.com/rebazeio>*

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:04 AM, Roedl Lukas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (non-binding)
>
> regards,
> Lukas

Stephen Kitt
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 15:34:26 +0200
Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [X] +1 Approve the release

(Non-binding.)

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

Hi Christian,

I tried to unpack the zip on a Windows 7 and I don't get the path too
long issue.

Can you share the full path of the example that is problematic ?

I have created a Jira (KARAF-5876) and want to fix it.

Thanks

regards,

François Papon
[hidden email]

Le 18/08/2018 à 21:30, Christian Schneider a écrit :

> +1
>
> Found some issues on windows:
> When unpacking the zip on windows I get path too long for
> BookingServiceImpl.java.
> I think some of the examples are layered too deeply.
>
> Another issue on windows is with the shell. If I do feature:install <tab>
> then a long list of features appears. If I scroll thorugh the results using
> tab the screen soon becomes totally garbled.
>
> So nothing very big but some things for 4.2.2 I guess.
>
> Christian
>
> Am Sa., 18. Aug. 2018 um 15:34 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
>>
>> This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
>> dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
>>
>> - Better Java 9/10/11 support
>> - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
>> images will be available soon using these scripts
>> - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
>> - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
>> - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
>> distribution (and using in the itests)
>>
>> For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
>>
>> Release Notes:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
>>
>> Git tag:
>> karaf-4.2.1
>>
>> Staging Repository:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
>>
>> Please vote to approve this release:
>>
>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>> [ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)
>>
>> This vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

cschneider
I am currently on holidays. Will take a while.

Christian

Francois Papon <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 22. Aug.
2018, 18:48:

> Hi Christian,
>
> I tried to unpack the zip on a Windows 7 and I don't get the path too
> long issue.
>
> Can you share the full path of the example that is problematic ?
>
> I have created a Jira (KARAF-5876) and want to fix it.
>
> Thanks
>
> regards,
>
> François Papon
> [hidden email]
>
> Le 18/08/2018 à 21:30, Christian Schneider a écrit :
> > +1
> >
> > Found some issues on windows:
> > When unpacking the zip on windows I get path too long for
> > BookingServiceImpl.java.
> > I think some of the examples are layered too deeply.
> >
> > Another issue on windows is with the shell. If I do feature:install <tab>
> > then a long list of features appears. If I scroll thorugh the results
> using
> > tab the screen soon becomes totally garbled.
> >
> > So nothing very big but some things for 4.2.2 I guess.
> >
> > Christian
> >
> > Am Sa., 18. Aug. 2018 um 15:34 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
> > [hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I submit Apache Karaf 4.2.1 release to your vote.
> >>
> >> This release is a major update on the 4.2.x series. It includes bunch of
> >> dependencies updates, fixes and new features, especially:
> >>
> >> - Better Java 9/10/11 support
> >> - Assembly tooling to create Docker image, by the way, official Karaf
> >> images will be available soon using these scripts
> >> - Docker feature allowing you to manipulate Docker directly from Karaf
> >> - Improved itest KarafTestSuport to create your own itests easily
> >> - Updated dev guide with examples included in the Karaf standard
> >> distribution (and using in the itests)
> >>
> >> For complete details, please take a look on the release notes:
> >>
> >> Release Notes:
> >>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342945
> >>
> >> Git tag:
> >> karaf-4.2.1
> >>
> >> Staging Repository:
> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1114/
> >>
> >> Please vote to approve this release:
> >>
> >> [ ] +1 Approve the release
> >> [ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)
> >>
> >> This vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Regards
> >> JB
> >> --
> >> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> >> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

Achim Nierbeck-3
Hi Francois,

The path to long will happen with any application on Windows. I've seen
that a long long time ago, for example if you use your users documents
folder and add a couple of extra folder beneath.
Eventually you will hit that barrier :)

regards, Achim

--

Apache Member
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf "Container" 4.2.1 release

fpapon
Ok thanks Achim,

I'm not a Windows user so I don't have skill on it :(

Btw, if I understand, the issue depend of the parent path where the user
extract the archive, so it's a bit hard to identify.

May be we could define a max path folder hierarchy ?

regards,

François Papon
[hidden email]

François Papon