[VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

12

[VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

jgoodyear
Hi,

Sorry for the delay posting this to the dev list - my home is
currently flooding, bailing and pumping it out at the moment.

We resolved 71 issues in this release (may take some time for cwiki to
update with this page):
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+2.1.0+Release

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-003/

Release tags:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/tags/karaf-2.1.0/

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release

This vote will be open for 72 hours.

AW: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Achim Nierbeck
+1

Achim

P.S. sunny greetings from Germany :)
(I'm pretty sure it won't last long till the next rain is coming)

This vote will be open for 72 hours.

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

+1

It looks good to me.

On 09/21/2010 05:57 PM, Jamie G. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay posting this to the dev list - my home is
> currently flooding, bailing and pumping it out at the moment.
>
> We resolved 71 issues in this release (may take some time for cwiki to
> update with this page):
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+2.1.0+Release
>
> Staging repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-003/
>
> Release tags:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/tags/karaf-2.1.0/
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>
> This vote will be open for 72 hours.

---------------------------------
  HomePage
http://www.nanthrax.net
---------------------------------
  Contacts
---------------------------------
  OpenSource
BuildProcess/AutoDeploy
http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net
Apache ServiceMix
http://servicemix.apache.org
-----------------------------------
PGP : 17D4F086

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

iocanel
+1

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
Ioannis Canellos
http://iocanel.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Hiram Chirino
+1

Regards,
Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com/

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay posting this to the dev list - my home is
> currently flooding, bailing and pumping it out at the moment.
>
> We resolved 71 issues in this release (may take some time for cwiki to
> update with this page):
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+2.1.0+Release
>
> Staging repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-003/
>
> Release tags:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/tags/karaf-2.1.0/
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>
> This vote will be open for 72 hours.

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

jstrachan
+1

On 21 September 2010 16:57, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay posting this to the dev list - my home is
> currently flooding, bailing and pumping it out at the moment.
>
> We resolved 71 issues in this release (may take some time for cwiki to
> update with this page):
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+2.1.0+Release
>
> Staging repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-003/
>
> Release tags:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/tags/karaf-2.1.0/
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>
> This vote will be open for 72 hours.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 17:57, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay posting this to the dev list - my home is
> currently flooding, bailing and pumping it out at the moment.
>
> We resolved 71 issues in this release (may take some time for cwiki to
> update with this page):
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+2.1.0+Release
>
> Staging repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-003/
>
> Release tags:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/tags/karaf-2.1.0/
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>
> This vote will be open for 72 hours.

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
There is something strange. Only the last bundle is displayed on Mac :

karaf@root> osgi:list
START LEVEL 100 , List Threshold: 50
   ID   State         Blueprint      Level  Name
[  31] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   60] Apache Karaf :: Shell
ConfigAdmin Commands (2.1.0)

???

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 17:57, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay posting this to the dev list - my home is
>> currently flooding, bailing and pumping it out at the moment.
>>
>> We resolved 71 issues in this release (may take some time for cwiki to
>> update with this page):
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+2.1.0+Release
>>
>> Staging repository:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-003/
>>
>> Release tags:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/tags/karaf-2.1.0/
>>
>> Please vote to approve this release:
>>
>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>>
>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Guillaume Nodet
That's an expected behavioral change.
Try the 'la' alias to get all the bundles and/or look at the help for
this command which provides a new option you an use.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:49, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is something strange. Only the last bundle is displayed on Mac :
>
> karaf@root> osgi:list
> START LEVEL 100 , List Threshold: 50
>   ID   State         Blueprint      Level  Name
> [  31] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   60] Apache Karaf :: Shell
> ConfigAdmin Commands (2.1.0)
>
> ???
>
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 17:57, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sorry for the delay posting this to the dev list - my home is
>>> currently flooding, bailing and pumping it out at the moment.
>>>
>>> We resolved 71 issues in this release (may take some time for cwiki to
>>> update with this page):
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+2.1.0+Release
>>>
>>> Staging repository:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-003/
>>>
>>> Release tags:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/tags/karaf-2.1.0/
>>>
>>> Please vote to approve this release:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet
>> ------------------------
>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>> ------------------------
>> Open Source SOA
>> http://fusesource.com

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Adrian Trenaman-2
Yup, mea culpa Charles.

We implemented a new feature whereby osgi:list doesn't barf out all the
system bundles any more: it just displays bundles over a threshold,
which is by default 50. So osgi:list will now print out your application
level bundles.

I think you can use something like osgi:list -t 0 to print all the
bundles above the threshold level of 0.

Cheers,
Ade.

On 23/09/2010 21:43, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> That's an expected behavioral change.
> Try the 'la' alias to get all the bundles and/or look at the help for
> this command which provides a new option you an use.
>
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:49, Charles Moulliard<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> There is something strange. Only the last bundle is displayed on Mac :
>>
>> karaf@root>  osgi:list
>> START LEVEL 100 , List Threshold: 50
>>    ID   State         Blueprint      Level  Name
>> [  31] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   60] Apache Karaf :: Shell
>> ConfigAdmin Commands (2.1.0)
>>
>> ???
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Guillaume Nodet<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> +1

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Gert Vanthienen
+1

For the one remaining bundle, wouldn't it make more sense to also give
that one a lower default start level so the out-of-the-box Karaf
installation shows an empty list here instead of just the one bundle?

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------

On 23 September 2010 13:46, Adrian Trenaman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yup, mea culpa Charles.
>
> We implemented a new feature whereby osgi:list doesn't barf out all the
> system bundles any more: it just displays bundles over a threshold, which is
> by default 50. So osgi:list will now print out your application level
> bundles.
>
> I think you can use something like osgi:list -t 0 to print all the bundles
> above the threshold level of 0.
>
> Cheers,
> Ade.
>
> On 23/09/2010 21:43, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> That's an expected behavioral change.
>> Try the 'la' alias to get all the bundles and/or look at the help for
>> this command which provides a new option you an use.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:49, Charles Moulliard<[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> There is something strange. Only the last bundle is displayed on Mac :
>>>
>>> karaf@root>  osgi:list
>>> START LEVEL 100 , List Threshold: 50
>>>   ID   State         Blueprint      Level  Name
>>> [  31] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   60] Apache Karaf :: Shell
>>> ConfigAdmin Commands (2.1.0)
>>>
>>> ???

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
I agree with you Gert. It makes no sense to display only one bundle !!!

Charles M.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Gert Vanthienen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> For the one remaining bundle, wouldn't it make more sense to also give
> that one a lower default start level so the out-of-the-box Karaf
> installation shows an empty list here instead of just the one bundle?
>
> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------
>

> On 23 September 2010 13:46, Adrian Trenaman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yup, mea culpa Charles.
>>
>> We implemented a new feature whereby osgi:list doesn't barf out all the
>> system bundles any more: it just displays bundles over a threshold, which is
>> by default 50. So osgi:list will now print out your application level
>> bundles.
>>
>> I think you can use something like osgi:list -t 0 to print all the bundles
>> above the threshold level of 0.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ade.
>>
>> On 23/09/2010 21:43, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>>
>>> That's an expected behavioral change.
>>> Try the 'la' alias to get all the bundles and/or look at the help for
>>> this command which provides a new option you an use.

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

jgoodyear
The default level can be adjusted by changing the value of
"karaf.systemBundlesStartLevel" in $KARAF_HOME/etc/custom.properties.

Down stream users can adjust this value to what ever level makes the
most sense for their purposes.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Charles Moulliard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with you Gert. It makes no sense to display only one bundle !!!
>
> Charles M.
>

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Gert Vanthienen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> For the one remaining bundle, wouldn't it make more sense to also give
>> that one a lower default start level so the out-of-the-box Karaf
>> installation shows an empty list here instead of just the one bundle?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Gert Vanthienen
>> ------------------------
>> Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com
>> Blog: http://gertvanthienen.blogspot.com/
>>

>> On 23 September 2010 13:46, Adrian Trenaman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Yup, mea culpa Charles.
>>>
>>> We implemented a new feature whereby osgi:list doesn't barf out all the
>>> system bundles any more: it just displays bundles over a threshold, which is
>>> by default 50. So osgi:list will now print out your application level
>>> bundles.
>>>
>>> I think you can use something like osgi:list -t 0 to print all the bundles
>>> above the threshold level of 0.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ade.

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Agreed.   We should fix that for later releases.
There are several possible options to do that.
Just raise KARAF-221 for that.

Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
As this property is used also to configure how bundles are started or
not in a master/slave config, I would prefer to have a separate
variable to define which bundles are displayed by default on the
console.

So we must solve this before to release karaf 2.1.0

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The default level can be adjusted by changing the value of
> "karaf.systemBundlesStartLevel" in $KARAF_HOME/etc/custom.properties.
>
> Down stream users can adjust this value to what ever level makes the
> most sense for their purposes.
>
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Charles Moulliard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I agree with you Gert. It makes no sense to display only one bundle !!!
>>
>> Charles M.
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Gert Vanthienen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> +1
>>>
>>> For the one remaining bundle, wouldn't it make more sense to also give
>>> that one a lower default start level so the out-of-the-box Karaf
>>> installation shows an empty list here instead of just the one bundle?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Gert Vanthienen
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com
>>> Blog: http://gertvanthienen.blogspot.com/

Email: [hidden email]
Twitter : @cmoulliard, @fusenews
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Claus Ibsen
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As this property is used also to configure how bundles are started or
> not in a master/slave config, I would prefer to have a separate
> variable to define which bundles are displayed by default on the
> console.
>
> So we must solve this before to release karaf 2.1.0

-1 for that.

I only think critical bugs or the likes can stop a release which is
already in the vote.

The release has already been delayed and Apache Camel and Scalate 1.3
is awaiting this release.
As gnodet said, I also favor release early and often.

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

jbonofre
Agree.
It's the same for SMX which is waiting for this release.

 From my point of view, the current 2.1.0 release looks good to me
without major issues.

Go go go ;)

On 09/24/2010 08:06 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Charles Moulliard<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> As this property is used also to configure how bundles are started or
>> not in a master/slave config, I would prefer to have a separate
>> variable to define which bundles are displayed by default on the
>> console.
>>
>> So we must solve this before to release karaf 2.1.0
>>

> -1 for that.
>
> I only think critical bugs or the likes can stop a release which is
> already in the vote.
>
> The release has already been delayed and Apache Camel and Scalate 1.3
> is awaiting this release.
> As gnodet said, I also favor release early and often.
>

>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Jamie G.<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> The default level can be adjusted by changing the value of
>>> "karaf.systemBundlesStartLevel" in $KARAF_HOME/etc/custom.properties.
>>>
>>> Down stream users can adjust this value to what ever level makes the
>>> most sense for their purposes.

---------------------------------
  HomePage
http://www.nanthrax.net
---------------------------------
  Contacts
---------------------------------
  OpenSource
BuildProcess/AutoDeploy
http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net
Apache ServiceMix
http://servicemix.apache.org
-----------------------------------
PGP : 17D4F086

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Yeah, this is very minor annoyance which does not affect the behavior
and which has an easy workaround which is to use 'la' instead of
'osgi:list'.
Also the real purpose is to not show 'system bundles' by default,
which means the value should be the same as the one used to define the
threshold when using osgi:start and other related commands.
I'd think that introducing yet another variable would make things even
more confusing.

Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

jgoodyear
The property "karaf.lock.level" is used to configure how bundles are
started or not in a master/slave config. The property
"karaf.systemBundlesStartLevel" is only used by the karaf shell
package in Utils and ListBundles classes... I do not see how this
property will affect the operation of Master/Slave fail over.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:11 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, this is very minor annoyance which does not affect the behavior
> and which has an easy workaround which is to use 'la' instead of
> 'osgi:list'.
> Also the real purpose is to not show 'system bundles' by default,
> which means the value should be the same as the one used to define the
> threshold when using osgi:start and other related commands.
> I'd think that introducing yet another variable would make things even
> more confusing.
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 07:59, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As this property is used also to configure how bundles are started or
>> not in a master/slave config, I would prefer to have a separate
>> variable to define which bundles are displayed by default on the
>> console.
>>
>> So we must solve this before to release karaf 2.1.0
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The default level can be adjusted by changing the value of
>>> "karaf.systemBundlesStartLevel" in $KARAF_HOME/etc/custom.properties.
>>>
>>> Down stream users can adjust this value to what ever level makes the
>>> most sense for their purposes.

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.1.0

Charles Moulliard
Administrator
Sorry for my mistake. I thought that there was one property when in
fact there was two.

I would say that if the wiki web site has been updated with the
modifications made (description of the command 'la' and new parameter
added for 'osgi:list -t') , I accept the promotion of this new
release.

+1

Charles