What are Best Practices for Karaf based application Integration Test with Pax-Exam

What are Best Practices for Karaf based application Integration Test with Pax-Exam

imranrazakhan
We have lot of integration tests for our karaf based applications, so now
discussion got started

 - Should these itests done by developer or devops, as it took too much time
and developer has to wait?

 - Do itests part of project or we should have separate project?

 - if its separate project then do these got trigger after developer commit
code?

 - As developer says in case of any error in ITESTs it would be
configuration issue  and no code changes as code tests done with junit.

 - How can jenkin and PaxExam support in this regard?

Re: What are Best Practices for Karaf based application Integration Test with Pax-Exam

My comments:

1. The utests are under the bundle developer scope, the itests could be
either dev or devops. Most of the time, dev provides itests testing the
behavior, whereas devops provides itests more for the deployment.

2. it could be in the project, as a separate modules, as the itests
might depends of the bundles version/behavior.

3. if the itest fail due to a configuration issue, it's probably because
the features are not closed/complete. The features should also install a
default running configuration. Or the itests doesn't override the
configuration correctly.

4. No problem about Jenkins/CI and PaxExam: from a Jenkins perspective,
itests are regular tests.

By the way, we are using PaxExam in Karaf itself and other projects (Pax
Web, Cellar, Decanter, etc).