What is the difference between bin/shell and bin/client

What is the difference between bin/shell and bin/client

Andre Schlegel
Hi,

    until today I never noticed the bin/shell in our karaf installation. But today I tried this and got a shell which looks very similar to the shell I got over bin/client and ssh. The first difference I noticed is the prompt "karaf@root". The name of our karaf is not "root" or "karaf" neither we have user with these names. The open shell offers me a small subset of the command I got in the "regular shell".

    So, what is the "bin/shell" for? In the documentation I have only found this "You can install the wrapper without starting Karaf using bin/shell wrapper:install command.". Is this the only use case?

    Kind regards
    Andre

    Re: What is the difference between bin/shell and bin/client

    bin/client connects to a remote Karaf instance.

    bin/shell starts a minimal shell console locally without any services.
    It's just use to install "standalone" service like the wrapper.