data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

Alex Soto
When calling status command in Karaf 4.2.6 on a fresh install I get error:

data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

What causes this?

Best regards,
Alex soto

Re: data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

I don't have this behavior on my machine:

after starting karaf with bin/karaf,
I do bin/status and I have:

Running ...

Can you check in etc/config.properties that the karaf.shutdown.port.file
property well located ?

Do you have special user permission in term of filesystem on data folder ?

On 20/09/2019 21:48, Alex Soto wrote:

> When calling /status /command in Karaf 4.2.6 on a fresh install I get error:
>
> data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.
>
> What causes this?
>
> Best regards,
> Alex soto

Re: data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

Alex Soto
Maybe this only  happens if “start” has never been called. Can you confirm?

I saw this while automating deployment.  First step is to check if  Karaf is running, but perhaps prior deployment failed before calling “start”.
Basically I need a reliable way of testing whether Karaf is running; apparently, testing for status output to be "Running …” is not enough.

Best regards,
Alex soto

On Sep 21, 2019, at 1:18 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I don't have this behavior on my machine:

after starting karaf with bin/karaf,
I do bin/status and I have:

Running ...

Can you check in etc/config.properties that the karaf.shutdown.port.file
property well located ?

Do you have special user permission in term of filesystem on data folder ?

On 20/09/2019 21:48, Alex Soto wrote:
When calling /status /command in Karaf 4.2.6 on a fresh install I get error:

data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

What causes this?

Best regards,
Alex soto

Re: data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

jbonofre
Correct, command and port are populated at first start.

You can check the pid using bin/status as well.

On 23/09/2019 18:27, Alex Soto wrote:

> Maybe this only  happens if “start” has never been called. Can you confirm?
>
> I saw this while automating deployment.  First step is to check if
>  Karaf is running, but perhaps prior deployment failed before calling
> “start”.
> Basically I need a reliable way of testing whether Karaf is running;
> apparently, testing for status output to be "Running …” is not enough.
>

> Best regards,
> Alex soto
>

>> On Sep 21, 2019, at 1:18 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't have this behavior on my machine:
>>
>> after starting karaf with bin/karaf,
>> I do bin/status and I have:
>>
>> Running ...
>>
>> Can you check in etc/config.properties that the karaf.shutdown.port.file
>> property well located ?
>>
>> Do you have special user permission in term of filesystem on data folder ?

>> On 20/09/2019 21:48, Alex Soto wrote:
>>> When calling /status /command in Karaf 4.2.6 on a fresh install I
>>> get error:
>>>
>>> data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.
>>>
>>> What causes this?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Alex soto
>>>

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

Alex Soto
Can you elaborate on that ?

Thanks, JB

On Sep 23, 2019, at 12:29 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

Correct, command and port are populated at first start.

You can check the pid using bin/status as well.

On 23/09/2019 18:27, Alex Soto wrote:
Maybe this only  happens if “start” has never been called. Can you confirm?

I saw this while automating deployment.  First step is to check if
 Karaf is running, but perhaps prior deployment failed before calling
“start”.
Basically I need a reliable way of testing whether Karaf is running;
apparently, testing for status output to be "Running …” is not enough.

Best regards,
Alex soto

On Sep 21, 2019, at 1:18 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]
<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

I don't have this behavior on my machine:

after starting karaf with bin/karaf,
I do bin/status and I have:

Running ...

Can you check in etc/config.properties that the karaf.shutdown.port.file
property well located ?

Do you have special user permission in term of filesystem on data folder ?

On 20/09/2019 21:48, Alex Soto wrote:
When calling /status /command in Karaf 4.2.6 on a fresh install I
get error:

data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

What causes this?

Best regards,
Alex soto

[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

jbonofre
There's two things:

If karaf status shows "/apache-karaf-4.2.6/data/port shutdown port file
doesn't exist. The container is not running.", it means that the
container is not running, else you would have the port.

Karaf status check if the port file is there, and use a socket on this
port. If the port file is not there, or it's not possible to plug a
socket on the port (without sending any shutdown command), then it's
mean the karaf container is not running. Else you will see "Running ...".

So, what's your point ? You mean that you would prefer just "Not running
..." or "Running ... " for status output ?
If so, I can change the message with the port file is not there.
Basically, currently we have three states:
- never run
- ran at least once, and not running currently
- running

On 23/09/2019 18:37, Alex Soto wrote:

> Can you elaborate on that ?
>
> Thanks, JB
>

>> On Sep 23, 2019, at 12:29 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Correct, command and port are populated at first start.
>>
>> You can check the pid using bin/status as well.

>> On 23/09/2019 18:27, Alex Soto wrote:
>>> Maybe this only  happens if “start” has never been called. Can you
>>> confirm?
>>>
>>> I saw this while automating deployment.  First step is to check if
>>>  Karaf is running, but perhaps prior deployment failed before calling
>>> “start”.
>>> Basically I need a reliable way of testing whether Karaf is running;
>>> apparently, testing for status output to be "Running …” is not enough.
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Alex soto

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net <http://blog.nanthrax.net/>
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com <http://www.talend.com/>

Re: data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

Alex Soto
Yes, JB, that sounds very reasonable;  ideally, I should not need to be privy of how the `status` command works internally.
It should just print whether Karaf is running or not.  Error output should be reserved for unexpected states, i.e., different from the ones you described and expect.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Alex soto

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Correct, command and port are populated at first start.

You can check the pid using bin/status as well.

On 23/09/2019 18:27, Alex Soto wrote:
Maybe this only  happens if “start” has never been called. Can you
confirm?

I saw this while automating deployment.  First step is to check if
 Karaf is running, but perhaps prior deployment failed before calling
“start”.
Basically I need a reliable way of testing whether Karaf is running;
apparently, testing for status output to be "Running …” is not enough.

Best regards,
Alex soto

On Sep 21, 2019, at 1:18 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]
<[hidden email]>
<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Yeah, I got your point. Let me change the status command accordingly.

I will create the Jira.

On 23/09/2019 19:07, Alex Soto wrote:

> Yes, JB, that sounds very reasonable;  ideally, I should not need to be
> privy of how the `status` command works internally.
> It should just print whether Karaf is running or not.  Error output
> should be reserved for unexpected states, i.e., different from the ones
> you described and expect.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
> Alex soto
>

>> On Sep 23, 2019, at 12:43 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> There's two things:
>>
>> If karaf status shows "/apache-karaf-4.2.6/data/port shutdown port file
>> doesn't exist. The container is not running.", it means that the
>> container is not running, else you would have the port.
>>
>> Karaf status check if the port file is there, and use a socket on this
>> port. If the port file is not there, or it's not possible to plug a
>> socket on the port (without sending any shutdown command), then it's
>> mean the karaf container is not running. Else you will see "Running ...".
>>
>> So, what's your point ? You mean that you would prefer just "Not running
>> ..." or "Running ... " for status output ?
>> If so, I can change the message with the port file is not there.
>> Basically, currently we have three states:
>> - never run
>> - ran at least once, and not running currently
>> - running

>> On 23/09/2019 18:37, Alex Soto wrote:
>>> Can you elaborate on that ?
>>>
>>> Thanks, JB

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: data/port shutdown port file doesn't exist. The container is not running.

I created:

It will be included in coming 4.3.0 and 4.2.8.