[decanter] - file appender

I saw using the decanter-appender-file that if the file used by the
appender to write data already exist, it was cleaned at restart of the
bundle.

I'm thinking that it would be interesting for the user to choose in the
config file to append or not if the file already exist.

Thoughts ?

François

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: [decanter] - file appender

jbonofre
Good idea.

Generally speaking, the user should define a rotation if wanted, but
agree to read/append existing file at startup.

On 10/05/2018 20:40, Francois Papon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw using the decanter-appender-file that if the file used by the
> appender to write data already exist, it was cleaned at restart of the
> bundle.
>
> I'm thinking that it would be interesting for the user to choose in the
> config file to append or not if the file already exist.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> François

Re: [decanter] - file appender

You mind it would be better to add a rotation support ?

May be we could have a rotation by date, size and event count for example ?

François

Le 10/05/2018 à 22:58, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :

> Good idea.
>
> Generally speaking, the user should define a rotation if wanted, but
> agree to read/append existing file at startup.

> On 10/05/2018 20:40, Francois Papon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw using the decanter-appender-file that if the file used by the
>> appender to write data already exist, it was cleaned at restart of the
>> bundle.
>>
>> I'm thinking that it would be interesting for the user to choose in the
>> config file to append or not if the file already exist.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> François

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: [decanter] - file appender

I think the rotation should not be part of the decanter appender. User can
leverage logrotate or similar.

I think that appending "bootstrapping" is a good idea.

On 05/11/2018 05:48 AM, Francois Papon wrote:

> Hi JB,
>
> You mind it would be better to add a rotation support ?
>
> May be we could have a rotation by date, size and event count for example ?
>
> François
>

> Le 10/05/2018 à 22:58, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :
>> Good idea.
>>
>> Generally speaking, the user should define a rotation if wanted, but
>> agree to read/append existing file at startup.

>> On 10/05/2018 20:40, Francois Papon wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I saw using the decanter-appender-file that if the file used by the
>>> appender to write data already exist, it was cleaned at restart of the
>>> bundle.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking that it would be interesting for the user to choose in the
>>> config file to append or not if the file already exist.
>>>
>>> Thoughts ?
>>>
>>> François

Re: [decanter] - file appender

Agree for the rotation :)

For the appending, I made a PR in this way by adding a new key/value in
the properties file for the user choice.

Thanks,

François

Le 11/05/2018 à 09:31, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I think the rotation should not be part of the decanter appender. User can
> leverage logrotate or similar.
>
> I think that appending "bootstrapping" is a good idea.

> On 05/11/2018 05:48 AM, Francois Papon wrote:
>> Hi JB,
>>
>> You mind it would be better to add a rotation support ?
>>
>> May be we could have a rotation by date, size and event count for example ?
>>
>> François
>>

>> Le 10/05/2018 à 22:58, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :
>>> Good idea.
>>>
>>> Generally speaking, the user should define a rotation if wanted, but
>>> agree to read/append existing file at startup.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: [decanter] - file appender

PR pushed for this :

https://github.com/apache/karaf-decanter/pull/34

Thanks for reviewing ;)

François

Le 11/05/2018 à 09:36, Francois Papon a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Agree for the rotation :)
>
> For the appending, I made a PR in this way by adding a new key/value in
> the properties file for the user choice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> François
>

> Le 11/05/2018 à 09:31, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think the rotation should not be part of the decanter appender. User can
>> leverage logrotate or similar.
>>
>> I think that appending "bootstrapping" is a good idea.

>> On 05/11/2018 05:48 AM, Francois Papon wrote:
>>> Hi JB,
>>>
>>> You mind it would be better to add a rotation support ?
>>>
>>> May be we could have a rotation by date, size and event count for example ?
>>>
>>> François

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com