featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

Christoforos Vasilatos
Hi to all,

I am a new Karaf user and I am trying to create a custom distribution. I had created a custom org.apache.karaf.features.cfg configuration file with the following value for the featuresRepositories

featuresRepositories=mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf/2.2.5/xml/features,\
mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/enterprise/2.2.5/xml/features,\
mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel/2.9.0/xml/features,\
mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/2.5.1/xml/features,\
mvn:org.apache.servicemix.nmr/apache-servicemix-nmr/1.5.0/xml/features,\
mvn:org.apache.servicemix/apache-servicemix/4.4.0/xml/features

When creating the distribution and execute features:listurl the result is the following:

mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/standard/2.2.4/xml/features
mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/2.5.1/xml/features
mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/enterprise/2.2.5/xml/features
mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel/2.9.0/xml/features
mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/2.4.4/xml/features
mvn:org.apache.servicemix/apache-servicemix/4.4.0/xml/features
mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/enterprise/2.2.4/xml/features
mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel/2.8.3/xml/features
mvn:org.jclouds.karaf/jclouds-karaf/1.2.2/xml/features
mvn:org.apache.servicemix.nmr/apache-servicemix-nmr/1.5.0/xml/features

It seems that the defined repositories at the configuration file are overriden by the features that are installed (checked some of them, for example apache-servicemix includes its own repositories)

My problem is that i do not want this behaviour because it also changes the versions of the featuresBoot that i also have defined, at least the for karaf core bundles (ssh, config, management).

Is there any flag or configuration to overcome this behaviour?

Thanks for your time,
Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

jbonofre
Hi Christoforos,

Do you follow:

http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.2.x/developers-guide/custom-distribution.html

to create your distribution ?

The org.apache.karaf.features.cfg is not overrided, so it should read yours.

However, if you do features:add-url, the URL will be added in the
features repository registry (and so display by the features:list-url
command).

To clean up the features URL installed by hand, you have to clean the
data folder.

On 01/25/2012 07:14 PM, christoforos.vasilatos wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I am a new Karaf user and I am trying to create a custom distribution. I had
> created a custom org.apache.karaf.features.cfg configuration file with the
> following value for the featuresRepositories
>
> featuresRepositories=mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf/2.2.5/xml/features,\
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/enterprise/2.2.5/xml/features,\
> mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel/2.9.0/xml/features,\
> mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/2.5.1/xml/features,\
> mvn:org.apache.servicemix.nmr/apache-servicemix-nmr/1.5.0/xml/features,\
> mvn:org.apache.servicemix/apache-servicemix/4.4.0/xml/features
>
> When creating the distribution and execute features:listurl the result is
> the following:
>
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/standard/2.2.4/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/2.5.1/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/enterprise/2.2.5/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel/2.9.0/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/2.4.4/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.servicemix/apache-servicemix/4.4.0/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/enterprise/2.2.4/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel/2.8.3/xml/features
> mvn:org.jclouds.karaf/jclouds-karaf/1.2.2/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.servicemix.nmr/apache-servicemix-nmr/1.5.0/xml/features
>
> It seems that the defined repositories at the configuration file are
> overriden by the features that are installed (checked some of them, for
> example apache-servicemix includes its own repositories)
>
> My problem is that i do not want this behaviour because it also changes the
> versions of the featuresBoot that i also have defined, at least the for
> karaf core bundles (ssh, config, management).
>
> Is there any flag or configuration to overcome this behaviour?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

Christoforos Vasilatos
Maybe i didnt describe the problem correct. I follow the instructions.

After creating the distribution, the file at ./etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg folder is the one that i created and the featuresRepositories has the value that i had defined, but without adding manually other urls, they are added automatically at first boot up of karaf (keep in mind that i execute features:listurl right after karaf first boot up after custom archive extraction).

My investigation led me to the conclusion that they are automatically added from the features of the defined repositories. (i.e. apache-servicemix  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/servicemix/apache-servicemix/4.4.0/apache-servicemix-4.4.0-features.xml)

Thanks again for your time and immediate response.

/Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

Andreas Pieber
Well, not really replacing them, though, what you can do is to define the version of the features you wish to start. In the features.xml you can define it via the version tag (<feature version="2.2.5">theFeatureToUse</feature>) and in the features.xml usgin /version; e.g.: myfeature/2.2.5

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Andreas

)

Thanks again for your time and immediate response.

/Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

Christoforos Vasilatos
So, your suggestion is to create a features.xml and add explicitly the features that i want to add with their version?Like someone would do in order to add his own bundles, but use it for i.e. camel cxf etc?

But isn't it enough to define them in the featuresBoot property of the org.apache.karaf.features.cfg configuration file (for example ssh;version=2.2.5,camel;version=2.9.0)? I tried the above and although the camel and some extra bundles were added correctly at the defined version, the core packages of karaf were not (for example even though defining ssh;version=2.2.5 the bundle installed at last was at 2.2.4 version)

Best Regards,
Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

Andreas Pieber
ok, first of all one issue: your featuresrepository is not completely correct. mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/standard/2.2.5/xml/features...

Besides of this you're facing a completely different problem. You're using karaf 2.2.4 and expect it to start 2.2.5 bundles simply because you change the features.xml repository. This wont work that way because of (e.g.; only one reason) etc/startup.properties. It's NOT a good idea to use different karaf features.xml  than comming with your karaf distribution (but feel free to change/add any other repository url).

I've tested what you've described with karaf 2.2.5 and everything works as expected. Can you pls check if using Karaf 2.2.5 fixes your problems too?

Kind regards,
Andreas

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:04, christoforos.vasilatos <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, your suggestion is to create a features.xml and add explicitly the
features that i want to add with their version?Like someone would do in
order to add his own bundles, but use it for i.e. camel cxf etc?

But isn't it enough to define them in the featuresBoot property of the
org.apache.karaf.features.cfg configuration file (for example
ssh;version=2.2.5,camel;version=2.9.0)? I tried the above and although the
camel and some extra bundles were added correctly at the defined version,
the core packages of karaf were not (for example even though defining
ssh;version=2.2.5 the bundle installed at last was at 2.2.4 version)

Best Regards,
Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

Christoforos Vasilatos
This post was updated on .
No, I am definetely using karaf 2.2.5. The downloaded archive with maven dependency is definitely 2.2.5 There is a part of the list -t 0 command

[  38] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Features :: Management (2.2.5)
[  39] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell :: Log Commands (2.2.5)
[  40] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: JAAS :: Modules (2.2.5)
[  41] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell :: ConfigAdmin Commands (2.2.4)
[  42] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell :: SSH (2.2.4)
[  43] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management (2.2.4)
[  44] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management :: MBeans :: System (2.2.4)

which indicates that some bundles are 2.2.5 but others are 2.2.4

while if i do not include my custon org.apache.karaf.features.cfg configuration file all the above bundles have 2.2.5 version

This is the deployed configuration file after maven filter
org.apache.karaf.features.cfg

Best Regards,
Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

Andreas Pieber
OK, now I get it. The problem is https://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=org/apache/servicemix/apache-servicemix/4.4.0/apache-servicemix-4.4.0-features.xml which references features directly using the <repository> tag. Well, currently there is no way to "blackout" some repositories, but an additional "blackedoutFeaturesRepository" tag could be definitely of use in such cases.

Can you please create a feature request for this in the JIRA?

Thanks and kind regards,
Andreas

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:00, christoforos.vasilatos <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This is the prefiltered configuration file:
http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/file/n3689989/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg
org.apache.karaf.features.cfg

 and this is the deployed configuration file after maven filter
http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/file/n3689989/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg
org.apache.karaf.features.cfg

Best Regards,
Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

Christoforos Vasilatos
Yeap this is exactly the problem, but is this a logical behavior?

Maybe this should change and no one that defines a repository should override the definitions of feature versions defined in org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file. Maybe the above is wrong cause I do not know many aspects of karaf, but I am just posting my thoughts.

I will summarise the case and rephrase it in order to be more precise I will post it to JIRA.

Thanks for your time,
Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

Gert Vanthienen
Andreas,

For our ServiceMix features descriptors, we'll gladly migrate to using version ranges but we'll need to get https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-971 fixed in order for those to work when we move from one version of Camel/CXF/... to the next one.  That should fix most of the issues Christoforos is seeing as well, I guess.

How about adding a control flag to completely disable transitive feature repositories?  It's a bit more coarse-grained than the solution you're suggesting, but it would allow people to completely control the list of repository URLs being used within their own assembly or distribution without having to go through the features descriptor and figuring out which ones to blacklist.  E.g. for ServiceMix, we already have all the URLs listed for CXF, Camel, ActiveMQ, ... so this might even be a good alternative to KARAF-971 for us as well.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

jbonofre
Hi guys,

yes, KARAF-971 is in my TODO. It just requires an enhancement on Pax-URL
(to have a URL resolution service "transforming" an abstract version
range in a concrete URL).

I think "disabling" transitive features could address the problem.
It's really easy to do, but it's not the same as Karaf 971 IMHO.

A mix of both could address all the questions.

On 01/26/2012 12:12 PM, Gert Vanthienen wrote:

> [...]
>         [  44] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   30] Apache
>         Karaf ::
>         Management :: MBeans :: System (2.2.4)
>
>         which indicates that some bundles are 2.2.5 but others are 2.2.4
>
>         while if i do not include my custon org.apache.karaf.features.cfg
>         configuration file all the above bundles have 2.2.5 version
>
>         This is the prefiltered configuration file:
>         http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/file/n3689989/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg
>         org.apache.karaf.features.cfg
>
>           and this is the deployed configuration file after maven filter
>         http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/file/n3689989/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg
>         org.apache.karaf.features.cfg
>
>         Best Regards,
>         Christoforos

Re: featuresRepositories is overriden by defined feature repositories?

I'm with you. KARAF-971 will fix a lot of problems. Implementing blacklists in two steps (first one with * param (for all, as proposed by Gert) and one which allows a more detailed configuration.

BTW, my comment was no "attach" against SMX :-) I know that you guys would definitely apply; it's just in case someone would like to use a version where this had not been fixed/done correctly. Or some other software where this is simply done wrong.

Kind regards,
Andreas