Quantcast

materialize bundles?

Scott Lewis
Is there any easy way (e.g. console or mvn command) to materialize all
the bundles/versions in a given running instance of Karaf and put them
as jars into a target directory?

Re: materialize bundles?

Guillaume Nodet-2
Not really.
What would be the use of such a directory ?
Using that as the deploy folder for a newly created instance ? You'd loose some information such as configurations, start levels, etc...

On 5/17/2017 11:24 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Not really.
> What would be the use of such a directory ?

It could be used to develop to and package custom distributions that are
based upon Karaf and other projects...for example OpenHab.

> Using that as the deploy folder for a newly created instance ? You'd
> loose some information such as configurations, start levels, etc...

Yes that's true/understood.

I suppose what I'm getting at is:  how to most easily develop to and
create custom distributions...not of Karaf directly, but perhaps Karaf +
OpenHAB + others.

Scott

Re: materialize bundles?

Guillaume Nodet-2
The karaf maven plugin is perfectly suited to create custom distributions.
We do use it to create the karaf official distributions, so unless something is missing, I'd suggest having a look at it.
See for example:
  https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/assemblies/apache-karaf-minimal/pom.xml#L102-L148

On 5/18/2017 3:26 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> The karaf maven plugin is perfectly suited to create custom distributions.

> We do use it to create the karaf official distributions, so unless
> something is missing, I'd suggest having a look at it.
> See for example:
> https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/assemblies/apache-karaf-minimal/pom.xml#L102-L148

Ok, thanks.   Is there some further support for
developing/debugging/testing to these and other features...e.g. in
Eclipse and/or other IDE?  e.g. target platform?

Excepting bndtools, which I know about.

Scott

Re: materialize bundles?

Scott Lewis
One more question:

The pom you pointed me to:

https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/assemblies/apache-karaf-minimal/pom.xml#L102-L148

Seems to be the 'karaf minimal' or 'karaf boot' (not sure if these are
the same thing), but the version appears to be 4.2...which is not out
yet.   When is the expected release of karaf minimal/boot?

Thanks,

Scott

On 5/18/2017 4:48 PM, Scott Lewis wrote:

> On 5/18/2017 3:26 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> The karaf maven plugin is perfectly suited to create custom
>> distributions.
>
>> We do use it to create the karaf official distributions, so unless
>> something is missing, I'd suggest having a look at it.
>> See for example:
>> https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/assemblies/apache-karaf-minimal/pom.xml#L102-L148
>>

> Ok, thanks.   Is there some further support for
> developing/debugging/testing to these and other features...e.g. in
> Eclipse and/or other IDE?  e.g. target platform?
>
> Excepting bndtools, which I know about.
>
> Scott

Re: materialize bundles?

cschneider
karaf-minimal is just a smaller distro then the normal karaf. It is released for each version of karaf. I guess Guillaume pointed you to this as an example of how to create your own custom distro.

There is no support to start karaf with a target platform. In practice debugging karaf distributions works quite well though.
You simply start karaf with "karaf debug". Then go to the project you want to debug in eclipse and start a remote debugging session for it with port 5005.
See

This works very well for pure maven projects. I think it is not very well suited for tycho based projects.

Christian

One more question:

The pom you pointed me to:

[...]

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: materialize bundles?

cschneider
bundle:watch * is also very useful. See http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/#_watch

So while debugging you can do mvn install on the single project after making changes to it. Karaf will then automatically updated the bundle(s) you built. This even works without disconnecting the debugger.

So in practice the debugging experience is not much worse than with the pde.

Christian

One more question:

The pom you pointed me to:

[...]

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: materialize bundles?

Scott Lewis
karaf-minimal is just a smaller distro then the normal karaf. It is released for each version of karaf.

Thanks Christian.

Where is the karaf-minimal distro available?  I couldn't find it on the normal download pages.

So while debugging you can do mvn install on the single project after making changes to it. Karaf will then automatically updated the bundle(s) you built. This even works without disconnecting the debugger.

So in practice the debugging experience is not much worse than with the pde.

In addition to the debugging experience...is there anything to do about the dev experience...i.e. the compiler?

Scott

[...]

jbonofre
Hi Scott,

it's here:

http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/karaf/apache-karaf-minimal/

I will update the download page with it too.